Longest playoff drought in NFL - 11 years

San-O

It's 11 years, but really it's 12 now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts

If season ended today, Lions are in, which is pretty amazing after Matt Millen hosed that franchise for almost a decade.

:doh:

Quote from Wiki

" After his playing career, Millen was President and CEO of the Detroit Lions from 2001 until 2008. His eight-year tenure as head of the franchise led to the worst eight-year record in the history of the modern NFL (31-97), and resulted in his termination on September 24, 2008. "

:lol:

Edited by SoCal-Surf

It's 11 years, but really it's 12 now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts

If season ended today, Lions are in, which is pretty amazing after Matt Millen hosed that franchise for almost a decade.

:doh:

Quote from Wiki

" After his playing career, Millen was President and CEO of the Detroit Lions from 2001 until 2008. His eight-year tenure as head of the franchise led to the worst eight-year record in the history of the modern NFL (31-97), and resulted in his termination on September 24, 2008. "

:lol:

There's a thread on this already: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/139775-houstons-in-and-i-hope-detroit-gets-in/page__p__2334577__hl__lions__fromsearch__1#entry2334577

Detroit has a game on the Cowboys and Giants, but the Lions have, by far, the hardest schedule of the three. I can see two of the NFC East teams making the playoffs. Either way, this drought is pitiful and let's hope things change next year.

There's a thread on this already: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/139775-houstons-in-and-i-hope-detroit-gets-in/page__p__2334577__hl__lions__fromsearch__1#entry2334577

Detroit has a game on the Cowboys and Giants, but the Lions have, by far, the hardest schedule of the three. I can see two of the NFC East teams making the playoffs. Either way, this drought is pitiful and let's hope things change next year.

Sorry, didn't see previous post.

I don't really see how the Bills make the playoffs next year. They will not be able to win the division againts the

Patriots, which means a mandatory 10 - 6 season, probably.

o The D line is getting no pressure.

o The LB corps is a mess, again.

o 2ndary may again need a mild rebuild, Mcgee is done, and McLuvin is a bust.

o Edwards seems to have no idea what he's doing.

:unsure:

At least we have some company in terms of sportswide playoff droughts. Kansas City, Toronto, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Washington/Montreal all have us paced in baseball. Due to large playoff fields, the NBA/NHL are all ahead us.

We don't have to worry yet about setting a post-merger record though. The Cardinals gave their fans 16 seasons between playoff appearances (enough time for the team to move from St. Louis). The Bengals had a 1990-2005 run of futility. The Lions share our current streak and also missed every playoffs from 1970 to 1982. The Packers gave a 1982-1993 run, which we're now exceeding. The Chiefs went from 1971-1986. Tampa gave their fans a 1982-1997 streak.

The Saints seem to win the day. From 1967-1987, they went 0-fer.

So we've got a decade to go before we hit a true epic futility run, but at least for the moment, we have some company.

At least we have some company in terms of sportswide playoff droughts. Kansas City, Toronto, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Washington/Montreal all have us paced in baseball. Due to large playoff fields, the NBA/NHL are all ahead us.

We don't have to worry yet about setting a post-merger record though. The Cardinals gave their fans 16 seasons between playoff appearances (enough time for the team to move from St. Louis). The Bengals had a 1990-2005 run of futility. The Lions share our current streak and also missed every playoffs from 1970 to 1982. The Packers gave a 1982-1993 run, which we're now exceeding. The Chiefs went from 1971-1986. Tampa gave their fans a 1982-1997 streak.

So we've got a decade to go before we hit a true epic futility run, but at least for the moment, we have some company.

Yeah, but parity in baseball is practically non-existent, when teams can have $200 million payrolls and others can only afford/choose to pay their players $30 million collectively. MLB is adding another wild card spot, but that will just mean that the big market teams- and well-managed smaller ones, like Milwaukee and Tampa- will continue to make the playoffs. Losing consistently in the NFL is inexcusable compared to baseball because of the competitive nature of the salary cap.

Yeah, but parity in baseball is practically non-existent, when teams can have $200 million payrolls and others can only afford/choose to pay their players $30 million collectively. MLB is adding another wild card spot, but that will just mean that the big market teams- and well-managed smaller ones, like Milwaukee and Tampa- will continue to make the playoffs. Losing consistently in the NFL is inexcusable compared to baseball because of the competitive nature of the salary cap.

I'm shocked there hasn't been more backlash on an owner like Loria of the Marlins. For years he would build these teams on a minimal budget, get lucky by drafting well and win, then dismantle the franchise until could rebuild again, all with budgets of almost what Pujols is getting in one season, and collecting Revenue sharing from the rest of the league. Now they can afford to build a nice new stadium, and he is throwing around almost as much money as the Yanks, Sox, and Cubs? Talk about cheating the system........

Personally I'm pulling for the Lions to make it to the playoffs this year for two reasons:

1) I like what they have been doing and I think they have turned it around and seem to be going in the right direction.

2) I want the Bills to be #1 at something ... even if it is sucking.

Personally I'm pulling for the Lions to make it to the playoffs this year for two reasons:

1) I like what they have been doing and I think they have turned it around and seem to be going in the right direction.

2) I want the Bills to be #1 at something ... even if it is sucking.

Sorry, the Bills even suck at sucking. They scrape out enough meaningless wins every year to miss out on the franchise quarterbacks to build around. Now the Colts are going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck: that is #1 at sucking.

Sorry, the Bills even suck at sucking. They scrape out enough meaningless wins every year to miss out on the franchise quarterbacks to build around. Now the Colts are going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck: that is #1 at sucking.

Good point. Other than our top 3 pick this year, we have historically for the pass 10-plus years haven't been good enough for the playoffs or bad enough for a top pick. A 6-10 record, which this franchise looks to score this year, isn't good for either respect or a top pick. Other than Buffalo being a cold, small market, I worry that free agents and assistant coaches (DC) don't want to come to a mediocre team with a fanbase howling for the playoffs. At least with a bad team, there's only one way to go. And with a good team, well, you have good tools.

On another note, it's drought, not draught. :pirate:

silvermike, thanks for posting this. as disappointed as we all are about the bills not making it again, this offers a little perspective. not saying we should'nt be disappointed, but there has been worse.

Worst scouting department ever

amen to that.

silvermike, thanks for posting this. as disappointed as we all are about the bills not making it again, this offers a little perspective. not saying we should'nt be disappointed, but there has been worse.

Not being the absolute worst is no consolation and seeing as how the league is set up for all teams to compete, it's amazing how mediocre they've remained for this long.

I'm amazed that a team that started 5-2 and then went 0-6 is readily accepted because someone is worse.

I agree with the above. Based on the thinking behind the salary cap in the NFL. You almost have to conspire to suck as much as we do.

Really, mathematically its has to be improbable that a team can miss the playoffs for 12 years with really no big reason to hope that the losing ends

anytime soon.

Were talking 13 drafts and still only having maybe 6 quality starters. One is a rookie. And one's name is Fred and the only good player in the backfield that is worth being there.

How can that happen, over the time of multiple regimes?