Longest playoff drought in NFL - 11 years

San-O

Not being the absolute worst is no consolation and seeing as how the league is set up for all teams to compete, it's amazing how mediocre they've remained for this long.

I'm amazed that a team that started 5-2 and then went 0-6 is readily accepted because someone is worse.

I never said anything about it being "readily acceptable". I'm not happy with it either. I just wanted to point out quickly, without going on-and-on that there are many other franchises that have played even worse, for longer periods of time.

I never said anything about it being "readily acceptable". I'm not happy with it either. I just wanted to point out quickly, without going on-and-on that there are many other franchises that have played even worse, for longer periods of time.

Sure, in different eras there have been franchises with worse records. But since free agency in its current form began 1993, few franchises can show a worse record. The idea was to have some parity and more teams have the chance to be successful. The Bills organization have re-defined how not to be a winning franchise.

The playoff drought began in 2000 and Buffalo is a cumulative 75-114 for a .397 winning percentage during these 11+ seasons. And in the past 3 seasons it sinks to 15-30, or winning 1 of 3. Losing two-thirds of your games the past three seasons and 60% of them is epically bad.

Edited by BillsVet

Sure, in different eras there have been franchises with worse records. But since free agency in its current form began 1993, few franchises can show a worse record. The idea was to have some parity and more teams have the chance to be successful. The Bills organization have re-defined how not to be a winning franchise.

The playoff drought began in 2000 and Buffalo is a cumulative 75-114 for a .397 winning percentage during these 11+ seasons. And in the past 3 seasons it sinks to 15-30, or winning 1 of 3. Losing two-thirds of your games the past three seasons and 60% of them is epically bad.

I know. Amazing isn't it?

At least we have some company in terms of sportswide playoff droughts. Kansas City, Toronto, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Washington/Montreal all have us paced in baseball. Due to large playoff fields, the NBA/NHL are all ahead us.

We don't have to worry yet about setting a post-merger record though. The Cardinals gave their fans 16 seasons between playoff appearances (enough time for the team to move from St. Louis). The Bengals had a 1990-2005 run of futility. The Lions share our current streak and also missed every playoffs from 1970 to 1982. The Packers gave a 1982-1993 run, which we're now exceeding. The Chiefs went from 1971-1986. Tampa gave their fans a 1982-1997 streak.

The Saints seem to win the day. From 1967-1987, they went 0-fer.

So we've got a decade to go before we hit a true epic futility run, but at least for the moment, we have some company.

Oddly enough, this made me feel a bit better.