Is fitz an "elite" QB?

NewEra

148 members have voted

1. 1. Is Fitz an "Elite" QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know what an elite qb is.

lololol bobobonators - let me get this straight..

you don't think fitz is average, you apparently think he's really awesome, like maybe in the top 10 of QBs.

so in an attempt to prove this, you put fitz's stats up against a bunch of good, not great QBs, and a couple average ones.

and what do you know! fitz had the lowest QB rating. lolol i can't make this stuff up. thanks for proving my entire point with one, long, worthless, condescending post.

not to mention, using stats as a stand alone point when comparing QBs like Big Ben is a complete !@#$ing joke, and you know it. In no way, shape, or form is Fitzpatrick a playmaker like some of these other guys. On a 3rd and 9, it's a goddamn coinflip whether the ball is even within 5 yards of the receiver.

you can keep bitching about me all you want - i could give a flying !@#$ - but fans like you are the exact reason this team has been so bad for so long. you accept mediocrity and defend it like it's your first born child, only to come to the realization in 24 months how wrong you actually were. take a 1st round QB in the top 10? noooo, we have fitz! insane.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1323371112[/url]' post='2331321']

Manning and Brady are once in a generation QBs and are in the "best of all time discussion." Rodgers and Brees may be well on their way to that status, but are looking like first ballot HOF QBs regardless. Has the bar for Fitz been raised to that level around here? That's unfair.

ddaryl hit it on the head above: of course he's not an "elite" QB and the Bills didn't pay him like one. I don't think anyone at One Bills Dr is under the impression that he is elite. If there is that "15 year guy" available in the draft when their pick comes up, I don't think Nix and Gailey would hesitate to pick him. Luckily, they were smart enough to sign Fitz to a deal that gives them the flexibility to draft a QB with their #1 if they choose.

GO BILLS!!!

Nice post. I agree completely. Like I said a million times...I don't hate fitz. He a decent qb. Better than the qbs we've had. The thing I'm scared about, is if there is a qb on the board when we draft that we think could be THE guy to lead us out of these doldrums, that we pass on him because we have fitz. I don't want to cut fitz and pickup another FA qb, I'd like to draft one of the 3 I think can be special.

1323372650[/url]' post='2331343']

You don't have to go that far back. Ben Rothlesburger and Eli Manning had very good defenses and neither are on the Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rogers level. They're the in between of the silly extremes you've outlined over and over and over again in this thread.

Of course Ryan Fitzpatrick still has more to go to prove that he's as good as Ben or Eli, but the Raider and Patriot games this year were proof that he does have that potential.

It's funny how good Fitzpatrick looked when he was given a healthy dose of short fields off of turnovers. Same thing with Ben and Eli, their teams were not asking them to start every drive at the 20 yard line.

This team needs to build a good defense, plain and simple.

Keep thinking fitz is as good as big Ben and Eli. He's not. Eli is a better comparison. I view big Ben as a special player. Very special. Eli has his moments of "wtf!!!". Big Ben just keeps dominating. Eli has a better arm, can make every pass and has proven he can win games in the clutch. Fitz has none of the above IMO. Every qb has a couple gw drives.... So please don't say "fitz did vs NE and Oak this year". He has a total of SIX in his entire career. Many more failures than successes. Btw, our defense isn't even close to being as good as bens and Eli's defenses in their super bowl years. Not even close.

1323378019[/url]' post='2331403']

Maybe you should start with a definition of what an elite QB is and how many of them you think are currently playing in the league and why? I have argued for hours with people over whether WR "X" is a #1 or not only to find out that we have MUCH different definitions of what a #1 WR was. The data and opinions you are trying to gather will be worthless without and agreed upon measurement system.

QBR?

QB Rating?

TD/INT?

Team wins and losses?

Accuracy?

How do you define an elite QB?

Watch the games and determine it on your own.

1323378590[/url]' post='2331415']

Look at the collection of slow moving crap that he has to work with at WR. Seriously! With the way those guys have been dropping like flies and getting traded away it's got to be nearly impossible to develop a little thing called chemistry. I think Fitz is just fine and easily a top 10 QB in this league when his #2, #3, #4 #5 WRs weren't traded away or on IR currently. (Evans, Easely, Parrish, Jones) How can you expect him to excel with the crap we have at WR? I love David Nelson but come on man! He was #6 on the depth chart in preseason.

That being said I do agree that there are only 4 elite QBs in the whole league. I would of course include Aaron Rodgers but not Ben Roethlisberger. They are TRULY elite. That being said there are another 6 guys of which Fitz is included who are pretty damn good that I would be glad to have calling the signals for us.

Lol@ easily a top 10 qb. This is another reason the thread was made. To weed out the people who are ABSOLUTE homers and really don't know jack. What a joke. Even most fitz homers won't say he's EASILY A TOP 10 QB IN THE NFL. Jeez man, Have you watched the last 7 games?? Oh wait, guys are injured. It's not fitzs fault he can't connect on a 7 yard slant route on 3rd and 9

1323403580[/url]' post='2331658']

Tebow at #5? Sanchez at #11?

C'mon man!

Why should fitz be ahead of Sanchez or tebow? Wait lemme guess....Sanchez has more talent....which is why he has 11 gw drives in 2 years.. Tebow can't throw.....even though he continuously drives his team down to score when trailing at the end of the game. Denver is SO talented!! Especially at WR!!!

1323384320[/url]' post='2331494']

:unsure:

How about, Stevie, Nelson, Chandler have been our top receivers because they're the only ones who have remained HEALTHY? They're our leading receivers by default, not necessarily by choice.

Regarding your Rivers argument..what EXACTLY are we arguing here, i want to make sure we're crystal clear, because if i use stats to point out that Fitz is having, statistically speaking, a "good" year this year, people complain that it's "not about stats"...but then, using the grass is greeener syndrome, the same people use Rivers "stats" to show how "good" he did last season.."why can't Fitz throw for so many yards!?" but at the same time, due to the grass is greener syndrome, fail to point out that Rivers did not make the playoffs last season out of the afc West for crying out loud. point that stat out.

Fitz is on pace to be in the top 10 in every statistically significant category for a QB in this league. End of story.

So ya, Rivers put up great stats last year w/o much around him, if you want to argue that, and those stats at the end of the day got him and SD nowhere..but Rivers is outstanding regardless. Fitz is having a very good season statistically speaking, with not much at all around him, and like Rivers, Fitz and the Bills will end up nowhere...but of course, Fitz sucks. Right.

He's not a great qb. He's ok. If you want to win a SB, you need a qb that's better than ok, unless you have an all time defense. Definitely the End of Story.

For fuks sake, look at the teams that Brady -Brees -Manning- Rodgers all play on, do the Bills have one all pro on offense anywhere? O line, WR-TE anywhere? the answer is NO!

Perhaps this year at RB for awhile Fred Jackson looked like a pro bowler until he went on IR. Fitz even looked like a pro bowler after 5 games, its just that teams caught up with Gaileys offense and he has no plan B to counter when defenses shut down the short passing game. Fitz doesn't have a pocket or time to step up and throw 5-7 step drops, so where does that leave him? .

Edited by Fear the Beard

1323410849[/url]' post='2331701']

For fuks sake, look at the teams that Brady -Brees -Manning- Rodgers all play on, do the Bills have one all pro on offense anywhere? O line, WR-TE anywhere? the answer is NO!

Perhaps this year at RB for awhile Fred Jackson looked like a pro bowler until he went on IR. Fitz even looked like a pro bowler after 5 games, its just that teams caught up with Gaileys offense and he has no plan B to counter when defenses shut down the short passing game. Fitz doesn't have a pocket or time to step up and throw 5-7 step drops, so where does that leave him? .

Sorry what was I thinking. Fitz is awesome. Definitely top 10

easily a top 10 QB... truly unbelievable

Manning 1, Manning 2, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brady, Romo, Schaub, Stafford, Rivers, Newton, Ryan. there's 12 no-brainers right there before you even get into the debatable ones.

Then you have a group of guys who are either A. playing better than Fitz, or B. have 1000x more potential, to the point in which 32 of 32 GMs would take said player over Fitz. Cutler, Alex Smith, Flacco, Dalton, Freeman.

i mean, holy ****, are we that stupid as a fanbase to trick ourselves into thinking we have the answer here at QB??? Where is this delusional crap coming from? The guy is the epitome of average.

Apparently you forgot how well he played when his collection of crap at WR were healthy. He was nearly leading the league in the new QBR rating at one point. Currently he ranks #12 in both the old QB rating and the new QBR system. If we don't have the answer at QB then there are at least 24 other teams that don't either. Are we so delusional as to think that every team can have a Brees, Brady or Manning? Give the guy someone to throw the ball other than Stevie Johnson to that could actually make the active roster on another team in the NFL and I think the "is Fitz elite qb?" question becomes a non issue.

Nice post. I agree completely. Like I said a million times...I don't hate fitz. He a decent qb. Better than the qbs we've had. The thing I'm scared about, is if there is a qb on the board when we draft that we think could be THE guy to lead us out of these doldrums, that we pass on him because we have fitz. I don't want to cut fitz and pickup another FA qb, I'd like to draft one of the 3 I think can be special.

Keep thinking fitz is as good as big Ben and Eli. He's not. Eli is a better comparison. I view big Ben as a special player. Very special. Eli has his moments of "wtf!!!". Big Ben just keeps dominating. Eli has a better arm, can make every pass and has proven he can win games in the clutch. Fitz has none of the above IMO. Every qb has a couple gw drives.... So please don't say "fitz did vs NE and Oak this year". He has a total of SIX in his entire career. Many more failures than successes. Btw, our defense isn't even close to being as good as bens and Eli's defenses in their super bowl years. Not even close.

Watch the games and determine it on your own.

Lol@ easily a top 10 qb. This is another reason the thread was made. To weed out the people who are ABSOLUTE homers and really don't know jack. What a joke. Even most fitz homers won't say he's EASILY A TOP 10 QB IN THE NFL. Jeez man, Have you watched the last 7 games?? Oh wait, guys are injured. It's not fitzs fault he can't connect on a 7 yard slant route on 3rd and 9

Why should fitz be ahead of Sanchez or tebow? Wait lemme guess....Sanchez has more talent....which is why he has 11 gw drives in 2 years.. Tebow can't throw.....even though he continuously drives his team down to score when trailing at the end of the game. Denver is SO talented!! Especially at WR!!!

He's not a great qb. He's ok. If you want to win a SB, you need a qb that's better than ok, unless you have an all time defense. Definitely the End of Story.

I think it is you who needs to watch the games. All of them. Including the ones at the beginning of the season when he actually had someone to throw the ball to. But please, after watching the games again look at the FREAKING NUMBRES! Please don't give me the eye test BS because you obviously need glasses. You can't put up Fitz numbers and suck.

Apparently people are enamored with such big names as Donald Jones, David Nelson and Brad Smith who is a freaking QB at WR and our offensive line that can't protect for 3 seconds. If you believe that is the reason for our successs then I could see how you might mistakenly think Fitz isn't and can't be our franchise QB.

Sorry what was I thinking. Fitz is awesome. Definitely top 10

Actually I stand corrected. He is top 12 with our awesome healthy WR core and Aaron Rodgers 5 seconds of protection offensive line.

Thankfully there are some people that see the GAME, see his numbers and know what's up. :thumbsup:

Edited by PDaDdy

1323439201[/url]' post='2331747']

Apparently you forgot how well he played when his collection of crap at WR were healthy. He was nearly leading the league in the new QBR rating at one point. Currently he ranks #12 in both the old QB rating and the new QBR system. If we don't have the answer at QB then there are at least 24 other teams that don't either. Are we so delusional as to think that every team can have a Brees, Brady or Manning? Give the guy someone to throw the ball other than Stevie Johnson to that could actually make the active roster on another team in the NFL and I think the "is Fitz elite qb?" question becomes a non issue.

I think it is you who needs to watch the games. All of them. Including the ones at the beginning of the season when he actually had someone to throw the ball to. But please, after watching the games again look at the FREAKING NUMBRES! Please don't give me the eye test BS because you obviously need glasses. You can't put up Fitz numbers and suck.

Apparently people are enamored with such big names as Donald Jones, David Nelson and Brad Smith who is a freaking QB at WR and our offensive line that can't protect for 3 seconds. If you believe that is the reason for our successs then I could see how you might mistakenly think Fitz isn't and can't be our franchise QB.

Actually I stand corrected. He is top 12 with our awesome healthy WR core and Aaron Rodgers 5 seconds of protection offensive line.

Thankfully there are some people that see the GAME, see his numbers and know what's up. :thumbsup:

Haven't missed a game in 20+ years. I DVR every game. I usually watch the game in slow mo and watch many plays multiple times. He played well in the first few games, while our defense was forcing pro bowl qbs into throwing 4 ints. Returning ints for tds. Setting up short fields all game. Sure, he was fine then. You mention how we've lost all these wrs. We lost Donald jones. Our top 3 targets the first 5 games, Stevie, Nelson, chandler are still here. Losing Fred HURTS. Fred was there vs the cowboys, jets, giants, bengals and the first half of the Miami game. First jets game = horrible. Dallas game = horrible. Bengals = not bad. Giants= 2 underthrows cost us the game. Miami game= offense drove down with Fred, got away from the run and put the ball in fitzs hand and we FAILED MISERABLY. He's an ok qb throwing 3-5 yard slants all day. He did it well the first few games. Then the league realized how to defend us. Make him throw it mid/deep. The offense died. He's good at making quick reads and short passes. He doesn't throw a good mid or deep ball. Look at the stats all you want. I'd prefer to wach the game, over and over. You're looking at the game through rose colored glasses. You love fitz and can't get over the fact that he's an average qb. "oh but look at his stats". Lol. Look at how many points we scored vs Dallas Miami and the nyj back to back to back games when we NEEDED WINS. We got plastered (partly due to the defense), he doesn't play defense, but he Was in charge of putting points on the board during our most crucial stretch. He failed. Is it ALL his fault? No. But he was part of the problem. Part of the collapse. If you can't see that, I dunno what to say. I'll just stop. You love fitz. You think he's awesome. You'll see. I HOPE I'm wrong. Time will tell my man. Go bills!!

Haven't missed a game in 20+ years. I DVR every game. I usually watch the game in slow mo and watch many plays multiple times. He played well in the first few games, while our defense was forcing pro bowl qbs into throwing 4 ints. Returning ints for tds. Setting up short fields all game. Sure, he was fine then. You mention how we've lost all these wrs. We lost Donald jones. Our top 3 targets the first 5 games, Stevie, Nelson, chandler are still here. Losing Fred HURTS. Fred was there vs the cowboys, jets, giants, bengals and the first half of the Miami game. First jets game = horrible. Dallas game = horrible. Bengals = not bad. Giants= 2 underthrows cost us the game. Miami game= offense drove down with Fred, got away from the run and put the ball in fitzs hand and we FAILED MISERABLY. He's an ok qb throwing 3-5 yard slants all day. He did it well the first few games. Then the league realized how to defend us. Make him throw it mid/deep. The offense died. He's good at making quick reads and short passes. He doesn't throw a good mid or deep ball. Look at the stats all you want. I'd prefer to wach the game, over and over. You're looking at the game through rose colored glasses. You love fitz and can't get over the fact that he's an average qb. "oh but look at his stats". Lol. Look at how many points we scored vs Dallas Miami and the nyj back to back to back games when we NEEDED WINS. We got plastered (partly due to the defense), he doesn't play defense, but he Was in charge of putting points on the board during our most crucial stretch. He failed. Is it ALL his fault? No. But he was part of the problem. Part of the collapse. If you can't see that, I dunno what to say. I'll just stop. You love fitz. You think he's awesome. You'll see. I HOPE I'm wrong. Time will tell my man. Go bills!!

@NewEra - I don't know why folks like you and I get labeled as the "delusional" ones - because I don't see any legitimate proof or logic that can possible refute what you just said. On the money.

Facts:

1. The Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins - having seen our tendencies, starting bumping our WRs off the line, rendering Fitz useless.

2. The injures didn't hit hardest until the ship was already sunk. I keep reading that our top targets became our top targets only due to injuries. GTFO with that crap. You're trying to tell me Donald Jones is worth a damn? That guy sucks out loud. Stevie, Nelson, and Chandler are our best receivers so they got the targets - period.

3. Fitz got away with murder at the beginning of the season. If some of you actually do DVR and re-watch games like I do, Fitz had so many bad plays fortuitously bounce in our favor it was ridiculous. On most days, the Raiders could have taped clubs to their hands and come away with 4 INTs off Fitz. The New England endzone INT pass interference call was something sent from the gods, and saved that game for us as well. When I re-watched both those games, I remember saying, "wow, Fitz really delivered on that last drive, but wow, was he lucky as crap that it even got there." And as time would show us, when we stopped getting the breaks and things balanced out, we couldn't get out of our own way. The beginning of the season was the epitome of a mirage, especially for the defensive INTs and Fitzpatrick in general.

But yea, nothing like Ralph and the organization blowing their wad prematurely on Fitz just like they did 3 years ago with Jauron's 5-1 start. !@#$ing jokers never learn a goddamn thing.

But yea, nothing like Ralph and the organization blowing their wad prematurely on Fitz just like they did 3 years ago with Jauron's 5-1 start. !@#$ing jokers never learn a goddamn thing.

This is absolutely incorrect. They certainly didn't "blow their wad" as the contract is very friendly and it DOESN'T preclude them from taking a QB in round one if they choose.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't vote. We need to get it out of our heads that only an "elite" QB is what we need.

There are 32 starting QBs. Only two, maybe three, elite QBs. He's a good QB who is doing his best with what he has and WILL get better with a better supporting cast. He's our guy for the time-being, and I'm happy with him.

I very strongly disagree with the bolded statement.

First, there are more than two or three elite QBs, including Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Schaub, Brees, and possibly others.

Second, if you look at the teams that won the last ten Super Bowls, all but one were quarterbacked by elite or nearly elite QBs. The lone exception was the Bucs of 2002 (2003 Super Bowl) with Brad Johnson at QB. But even there, they had to combine Johnson's Pro Bowl season with a very good defense to win the Super Bowl.

It's a mistake to assume that the Bills can with the Super Bowl while receiving significantly worse quarterbacking than almost every recent Super Bowl winner.

As for why I voted to place Fitz in the non-elite category, the best two seasons of his career were last year and this year. In those seasons he averaged 6.8 and 6.9 yards per pass attempt, respectively. A quarterback typically needs to have a career average of 7.4 yards per attempt to meet my definition of elite. A key reason why not even Fitz's best seasons are as good as elite QBs' career averages is because Fitz makes a lot more inaccurate throws than an elite QB would make.

1323462219[/url]' post='2332039']

This is absolutely incorrect. They certainly didn't "blow their wad" as the contract is very friendly and it DOESN'T preclude them from taking a QB in round one if they choose.

GO BILLS!!!

You're correct. They didn't blow their wad, but they did sign a contract prematurely, based on a handful of games. Like I said with fitz before we resigned him, let's see what he does for at least four more games. I would've preffered to wait out then season and see how he progressed or in this case regressed. I've heard they were talking about an extension in preseason and we wanted to offer him 4-5 million per while fitz wanted 7. We paid him 1o after he played the best 6 game stretch of his career. Since then....we all know the results. They jumped the gun in resigning him. They should've waited and now they are paying for it IMO. Lots of people disagree with myself and deep2evans....fine by me. I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right. I'm stating why I feel the way I do. You feel differently, it's a free country, feel as you like. I stand by my thoughts that fitz is an ok qb. A qb that MIGHT eventually get us to the playoffs if we add some more pieces. Personally, I could give a rats a$$ about making the playoffs. I want to contend for a title. I don't believe we will ever contend for a title with fitz as our QB unless we assemble a DOMINATING defensive team. Through my experience as a Bills fan, I don't think that will happen in the next 3-5 years....hence rendering fitz useless to what I am looking for as a bills fan. You can be happy with a 9-7 team that might make the playoffs. I am not. Never will be.

1323461742[/url]' post='2332034']

@NewEra - I don't know why folks like you and I get labeled as the "delusional" ones - because I don't see any legitimate proof or logic that can possible refute what you just said. On the money.

Facts:

1. The Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins - having seen our tendencies, starting bumping our WRs off the line, rendering Fitz useless.

2. The injures didn't hit hardest until the ship was already sunk. I keep reading that our top targets became our top targets only due to injuries. GTFO with that crap. You're trying to tell me Donald Jones is worth a damn? That guy sucks out loud. Stevie, Nelson, and Chandler are our best receivers so they got the targets - period.

3. Fitz got away with murder at the beginning of the season. If some of you actually do DVR and re-watch games like I do, Fitz had so many bad plays fortuitously bounce in our favor it was ridiculous. On most days, the Raiders could have taped clubs to their hands and come away with 4 INTs off Fitz. The New England endzone INT pass interference call was something sent from the gods, and saved that game for us as well. When I re-watched both those games, I remember saying, "wow, Fitz really delivered on that last drive, but wow, was he lucky as crap that it even got there." And as time would show us, when we stopped getting the breaks and things balanced out, we couldn't get out of our own way. The beginning of the season was the epitome of a mirage, especially for the defensive INTs and Fitzpatrick in general.

I'm with ya buddy. Just realize that everyone is content with different things. You and I, among others are only happy with a SB. Some are happy being able to compete. Let it be. Hopefully the FO sees it as we do and can pull the trigger on a QB if a potentially great one is available. We can only hope.

you don't think fitz is average, you apparently think he's really awesome, like maybe in the top 10 of QBs.

so in an attempt to prove this, you put fitz's stats up against a bunch of good, not great QBs, and a couple average ones.

and what do you know! fitz had the lowest QB rating. lolol i can't make this stuff up. thanks for proving my entire point with one, long, worthless, condescending post.

not to mention, using stats as a stand alone point when comparing QBs like Big Ben is a complete !@#$ing joke, and you know it. In no way, shape, or form is Fitzpatrick a playmaker like some of these other guys. On a 3rd and 9, it's a goddamn coinflip whether the ball is even within 5 yards of the receiver.

you can keep bitching about me all you want - i could give a flying !@#$ - but fans like you are the exact reason this team has been so bad for so long. you accept mediocrity and defend it like it's your first born child, only to come to the realization in 24 months how wrong you actually were. take a 1st round QB in the top 10? noooo, we have fitz! insane.

but fans like you are the exact reason this team has been so bad for so long.

Really?!?!? We don't sign checks for player, or draft them, or bring them in as FA's, soooo how is it that someone like me is the reason? So fans like us mean more to the Bills than fans like you? Don't think so. There is alot more bitching than complkiments going around OBD, so if they listened to fans, then "fans like you" would have more of a say in things. So, with your logic, I'm blamimg fans like you.

1323464684[/url]' post='2332066']

but fans like you are the exact reason this team has been so bad for so long.

Really?!?!? We don't sign checks for player, or draft them, or bring them in as FA's, soooo how is it that someone like me is the reason? So fans like us mean more to the Bills than fans like you? Don't think so. There is alot more bitching than complkiments going around OBD, so if they listened to fans, then "fans like you" would have more of a say in things. So, with your logic, I'm blamimg fans like you.

It has nothing to do with any of us.....let's hug it out.

You're a complete TOOOOOOL...the players I compared him to are THE SAME !@#$ING PLAYERS YOU COMPARED HIM TO IN YOUR POST..MY LORD, drink some Clorox Bleach and put an end to your stupidity. :wallbash: