Chan talking himself out of a job?

Paulfw

I think this is a legitimate question. It seems as though for the last three or four press conferences, Chan has been blaming himself for the losses. Telling us that it's his job to get the players ready and he's not getting the job done. Is he saying that to:

A) Give the office an excuse to fire him?

B) Protect his players (and coaches) from getting critized by the media about their lack of skill?

C) Covering for his boss, Buddy and some poor draft choices?

I know (and appreciate) he's a square shooter and I really want do like him, but if he continues not to like himself--why should I bother?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy if he said " We need to focus more on the running game". The Bills are an NFL team and injury plauqed or not theres no excuse half way through the season to be blaming loses on fundamentals....thes guys are in the pros and have been working on fundamentals since the first pop warner game that they played....CMON MAN!!!

If Nix and Gailey are fired this offseason you might as well bank on two or more losing seasons.

You simply can't build a winning franchise if you insist on changing coaches and GM's every 3 years.

49ers look ok with their new coaching staff...

In the last interview he blamed FUNDAMENTALS.

He's talked about that a few times this season, and while I thought it was funny to hear from an NFL coach, it's the kind of thing you are indeed going to have to deal with when you have a ton of young players. I mean, over 1/4 of our starting defense on Sunday was rookies.

Coaching staff, yes. But people are talking about firing EVERYONE. Nix and Whaley included. At this point, after the way the last hiring went 23 months ago, WHO in their right mind would take this job knowing that they wont even have 2 years to rebuild. And then a new FO means new schemes and new players, and replacing the roster with "their guys". At least 2 more years of losing, just so everyone could feel better running the "last guys" out of town.

San Fran had at least drafted well over the years (Gore, Vernon Davis, Willis, Crabtree, etc), and signed players in FA. They didnt need to rebuild the entire franchise from the ground up starting this year. The Bills were a talentless pile of crap 2 years ago, and Nix/Whaley/Gailey have done well to improve that.

I'd say it would be better to keep Nix, Whaley, and Gailey in their positions (Edwards needs to go like yesterday), and then once they have their talent foundation built, Nix step down and Whaley take over (and maybe bring in new coaching to take it to the next level, if needed).

But to "fire everyone" 23 months in is franchise suicide for an organization that is barely breathing.

Sorry, but when people say ridiculous things like "Miami did it", "Atlanta did it", "49ers did it", it only shows how little that person knows about the state of other teams. None of them rebuilt in 1 year. Not even 2.

Edited by DrDareustein

I think this is a legitimate question. It seems as though for the last three or four press conferences, Chan has been blaming himself for the losses. Telling us that it's his job to get the players ready and he's not getting the job done. Is he saying that to:

A) Give the office an excuse to fire him?

B) Protect his players (and coaches) from getting critized by the media about their lack of skill?

C) Covering for his boss, Buddy and some poor draft choices?

I know (and appreciate) he's a square shooter and I really want do like him, but if he continues not to like himself--why should I bother?

You know, this is very interesting because we are listening to the same press conferences, and I am hearing Chan as throwing the players under the bus, then taking indirect responsibility:

"we lost because these guys have poor football fundamentals and make a lot of mistakes. oh, yeah, and I guess that means it's my fault since I'm responsible for telling them what to do"

(I hear an implied "but gosh-jig-it they're all professionals and they should be able to prepare and execute without me looking over they're shoulder every daggone minnut")

I am frustrated because I don't hear Chan manning up and owning what he rightfully should own: things like clock management, a crappy decision to have the backup kicker execute a squib kick, becoming too predictable with an offense the Jets "solved", and getting away from the running game like it has cooties at the slightest excuse. I hear him blaming the players for bad execution. Yeah, they're making mistakes, and other teams make mistakes and win too.

Oh, that and hiring a defensive coordinator who can't seem to coach at the pro level, and backing him up with an "assistant head coach" whose responsibility and authority are both nebulous, but I wouldn't expect a good boss to throw his subordinate under the bus in public.

Not meaning to say your perspective is wrong - it's just interesting that what you hear as shouldering responsibility, I hear as responsibility-dodging.

Edited by Hopeful

Have you witness there defense? Hell if we had there defense with our up and down offense we'll be undefeated.. This team lack of pass rush is killing them. Hell McKelvin would look like a beast with a good pass rush. Get a front seven who can get off there block and we are real contenders.. JMO..

If this team were 5-7 with a win sprinkled in with the losses and they weren't getting blown out and seeing marks of improvement, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But because this team started 5-2 and have lost the last consecutive 5 games, and going 1-6 over the last 7 games, it is disconcerting to say the least. Yes, this team has experienced a significant amount of injuries, but this team has been losing games even before the Injury Bug really hit...at some point Gailey has to be called to bear the weight of the collapse of this team since being 4-1....I like Gailey, and believe he's done a lot with a little, but somewhere some accountability has to be laid at his feet when this team started out so promising and they beat some good teams only to find themselves essentially elminated from the playoffs two weeks ago after the loss to the Jets....Miami was horrid, and lost their "Franchise Quarterback" to season ending injury, struggled with their new RB who was to take over for Ronnie Brown, and a struggling Defense but has been coached back into being a "good" team and very well "should" have won last week's game against the Cowboys. Miami's turn around is an example of a coach regaining control of a ship gone shipwreck and re-positioning the team in the direction of positive advancement. Miami most likely will not make the playoffs, but they have pulled themselves from obscurity and back into a place of being competitive.....again, for me - it's not the overall record that puts Gailey in a tenuous position, it is the MANNER in which this record has come to be, namely the utter collapse of both the Offense and the consitently poor play of the Defense....my two cents....worth less than that maybe

I'd hate to read your other seven posts.

So are your previous 3,120 posts this insightful? You a little angry because your Mom didn't let you have that second cupcake?

I've been here for years and stuff like this is the reason I don't post much.

I do appreciate the other guys though, giving some good answers. My point is, I can see a coach telling us that he needs to get his team prepared maybe once a season, but it's getting a little scary between telling us that and that the team still needs to learn fundamentals.

I am frustrated because I don't hear Chan manning up and owning what he rightfully should own: things like clock management, a crappy decision to have the backup kicker execute a squib kick, becoming too predictable with an offense the Jets "solved", and getting away from the running game like it has cooties at the slightest excuse. I hear him blaming the players for bad execution. Yeah, they're making mistakes, and other teams make mistakes and win too.

Interesting. I've heard of a back-handed compliment, where maybe Chan's giving a back-handed self criticism. Great point.

he's just pretty honest and we look deep for reasons we lost and he just tells you up front. His comment on Allen Wilson shows you the character of this guy most coaches wouldn't have even mentioned it. He's the right coach just give him time

Edited by CardinalScotts