Rochester Columnist RIPS Ralph Wilson; Says Bills Aren't to blame

Bob Matthews is an old grouchy writer from Rochester, NY but in his column in the D and C a few days ago he RIPS Ralph Wilson and says that Bills fans aren't to blame for team blackout. This is a great article:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20111204/SPORTS0101/112040356/Buffalo-Bills-blackout-fans?odyssey=mod|mostview

Buffalo Bills' fans not to blame for blackout

The good and the bad about today's western New York TV blackout of the Tennessee Titans at Buffalo Bills game:

I'd like to point out that NFL fans will get to see a better game on CBS, but the New York Jets at Washington is no bargain.

Buffalo home games Dec. 18 (vs. Miami) and Dec. 24 (vs. Denver) also figure to be blacked out. Maybe fans in WNY will be offered better matchups than the Jets vs. the Redskins.

...[Ed: Copyright -- Do not quote entire articles]

Bob Matthews is an old grouchy writer from Rochester, NY but in his column in the D and C a few days ago he RIPS Ralph Wilson and says that Bills fans aren't to blame for team blackout. This is a great article:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20111204/SPORTS0101/112040356/Buffalo-Bills-blackout-fans?odyssey=mod|mostview

[Ed: Copyright]

I couldn't agree more if I wrote it myself. He is 1 billion percent correct about everything. Did you make a post about a media type's article just to get Promo the Ralphy fired up? You know how he hates every media type in the world with an extreme sense of jealousy.

While I rarely agree with Bob he does need to be given credit for one thing. He always has a relevant topic on his nightly sports talk show, and from what I can tell he is rarely redundant (don't listen to it long enough to tell for sure). But you'll never hear an "actor draft" or other pointless fillers on his show. Not an easy thing to do in a small market like Rochester. He has some interesting guests as well (Smerlas is on every week).

Bob Matthews barely writes at a third grade level. He's the last guy I pay attention to. But if he's ripping Ralph the day after another loss then I guess he will have his fans.

PTR

OP sez the article is from a 'few days ago' so he isn't ripping after the fact, this was a preemptive rip.

The good and the bad about today's western New York TV blackout of the Tennessee Titans at Buffalo Bills game:

I'd like to point out that NFL fans will get to see a better game on CBS, but the New York Jets at Washington is no bargain.

Buffalo home games Dec. 18 (vs. Miami) and Dec. 24 (vs. Denver) also figure to be blacked out. Maybe fans in WNY will be offered better matchups than the Jets vs. the Redskins.

I quit reading him a long time ago.

Not a real sports guy.

Bob Matthews is not a good analyst, reporter or columnist. I don't read him, especially since they fired other guys in favo0r of him. He's really bad. He's good at spouting statistics, but that is it.

Listening to Fred Smerlas and Bob on the radio a few years ago was unbearable. Two ill-informed people arguing about politics ... it was bad.

Bob Matthews barely writes at a third grade level. He's the last guy I pay attention to. But if he's ripping Ralph the day after another loss then I guess he will have his fans.

PTR

I haven't read the article yet so I can't say I disagree or agree. This I DO know. Smart people judge and evaluate the message not the messenger ;)

What do the think of the content of what he wrote as opposed to attempting to assassinate the guys character?

*Yes, this will require actual effort to take your brain our of neutral and evaluate the content of the message as opposed to lazily dismissing the messenger.

Edited by PDaDdy

I haven't read the article yet so I can't say I disagree or agree. This I DO know. Smart people judge and evaluate the message not the messenger ;)

What do the think of the content of what he wrote as opposed to attempting to assassinate the guys character?

*Yes, this will require actual effort to take your brain our of neutral and evaluate the content of the message as opposed to lazily dismissing the messenger.

You got me there, but there is also some truth to knowing what you usually get from people. And I have listened and read enough Bob Matthews (and his other Bills-bashing turncoat buddy Fred Smerlas) to know what to expect.

PTR

I couldn't agree more if I wrote it myself. He is 1 billion percent correct about everything. Did you make a post about a media type's article just to get Promo the Ralphy fired up? You know how he hates every media type in the world with an extreme sense of jealousy.

Where's this theory coming from lately? Last I knew, PTR IS a media type!

Just for the record: I think Coach Sal is the best Buffalo sports guy out there because he actually offers some analysis and insight since he has a coaching background. That's why I bang the drum for him. I think he is good at what he does.

PTR

How does he "rip" him apart? what he said is REALITY. Im really starting to hate the people on this board. You are all living in your own bubble where you dont see the underlying problem. RALPH SUCKS. Do you really think a 93 year old owner has any clue on what is going on in LIFE never mind his NFL organization? Like cmon, this has gone on long enough. Its a Lose-Lose situation because he is the only thing holding this team back and the only thing keeping this team around. So i guess if you enjoy sucking then Ralph is the guy for you. I cant stand him or his stupid, old, dried up, decrepit face anymore. Im just hoping Jim Kelly comes to the rescue after Ralph croaks.

Don't knock Bob. He's only the messenger. I don't think you'll find more than 10% of the fans that don't believe Ralph is the biggest problem.

I actually hate it when everyone blames Ralph the person. The man is 90+ w/ a broken hip to boot. He has little to nothing to do with the Bills and probably hasn't for 5-7 years. His family and the people he put in place...sure...but the old man is just that an old man.

We are really in a catch 22 with him though. No way we change the culture of losing while he is alive but when he does go....and hopefully not for a while....so do the BUFFALO Bills I fear. I hope I am wrong. GO BILLS

This was written/spoken before the Tennessee game and mostly the point made on the radio was that the Bills received a raw deal by having so many home games scheduled after Thanksgiving.