Marshawn

I wasn't one of those, but I will confess to being OK with trading McGahee at the time for a couple of nonproductive third round draft picks. I disliked McGahee's personality, which was irrelevant in the end. That was stupid of me.

There were legit to get rid of any one in the Henry-McGahee-Lynch-etc. train. Had we made any single 1 of those trades i'd have been ok. The problem comes in when a franchise continually spins its wheels, like we've been doing at the RB position. We made all of those deals, and subsequently "wasted" 3 1st round picks in the last 9 drafts.

As much as people like to gripe about drafting DBs, its the continuous train of RBs that has really hurt the bills.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we draft another RB in the first round again. Can't have enough 1st round RB talent.

Does Marshawn still end up on the police blotter in Seattle or did he just do that here in Buffalo?

I haven't heard of him getting in trouble in Seattle. If he ends up on another police blotter ANYWHERE, he's gone for a year. He made the police blotters in Culver City, CA and Buffalo as far as I know. Not sure of anywhere else. Do you mean to imply something else with your question?

GO BILLS!!!

The problem is Spiller, pretty obvious. Which that leads to a bigger problem, Buddy Nix. Like someone else said, Brilliant Personnel Executives don't usually get their "Big Break" at the age of 70.

How is Spiller the problem?

- He would be starting if he didn't have a pro bowl level RB in front of him

- He isn't the same type of back as Marshawn Lynch....Lynch is a bruiser with little speed, no vision, dances too much behind the LOS.....Spiller is a finesse back with great speed, is a pretty darn good reciever, has vision, is improving in both pass protection AND dedication to running between the tackles who goes down too easy

Both have strenghts and weakness.....and NEITHER of them are as good as our starting Running back.

I ask again....what is the problem?

There were legit to get rid of any one in the Henry-McGahee-Lynch-etc. train. Had we made any single 1 of those trades i'd have been ok. The problem comes in when a franchise continually spins its wheels, like we've been doing at the RB position. We made all of those deals, and subsequently "wasted" 3 1st round picks in the last 9 drafts.

As much as people like to gripe about drafting DBs, its the continuous train of RBs that has really hurt the bills.

Yep.

Sometimes the best course for a team is to repair the relationship with the player. Thus the wisdom of not jettisoning Stevie Johnson.

I think Gailey wanted to keep Lynch initially but to me anyways, it seemed like Lynch no longer wanted to be in Buffalo. Didn't he virtually force a trade?

In my mind, all this talk about "we should have kept Lynch" is irrelevant.

- He isn't the same type of back as Marshawn Lynch....Lynch is a bruiser with little speed, no vision, dances too much behind the LOS.....Spiller is a finesse back with great speed, is a pretty darn good reciever, has vision, is improving in both pass protection AND dedication to running between the tackles who goes down too easy

Both have strenghts and weakness.....and NEITHER of them are as good as our starting Running back.

What I mean by Spiller being the problem is with the 3 backs in this discussion, he so far below Jackson and Lynch it isn't even close. And as far as him starting, he was and couldn't handle it, that is when Jackson took over and took off so to speak. The only Pro Bowl back that Spiller has ever had in front of him is Lynch and that was for a handful of games last year before Nix traded him for peanuts. You are a serious Spiller fan if you accuse any back of being more of a dancer then he is, he might as well have tap dance shoes on instead of cleats out there.

Among the many mistakes that this franchise makes on a yearly basis, picking RBs in the 1st round is mind numbing. Arian Foster, Freddy, Gore, Rice, Forte, Turner...........are pretty decent.

Yep.

Sometimes the best course for a team is to repair the relationship with the player. Thus the wisdom of not jettisoning Stevie Johnson.

I think Gailey wanted to keep Lynch initially but to me anyways, it seemed like Lynch no longer wanted to be in Buffalo. Didn't he virtually force a trade?

Lynch was never unhappy in Buffalo until they drafted Spiller at #9 overall. Any normal team that picks a back that high in the draft expects them to be a starter. Lynch seemed content playing along side Jackson and made one of the better 1-2 punches in the league, something that most good teams have. Right now, with Jackson healthy we have a 1-punch and a 2-dance pop combination.

Lynch was never unhappy in Buffalo until they drafted Spiller at #9 overall. Any normal team that picks a back that high in the draft expects them to be a starter. Lynch seemed content playing along side Jackson and made one of the better 1-2 punches in the league, something that most good teams have. Right now, with Jackson healthy we have a 1-punch and a 2-dance pop combination.

Disagree. His Mom didn't like it here, there was all the stuff… the hit and run on Chippewa Street and the allegations of taking money from people seeking his autograph… bringing his own booze into clubs…

It was best for all parties that Marshawn was moved along.

Now if you want to argue about trade compensation, that's a different issue.

Yep.

If I remember correctly he held out from OTAs

Yep.

McGahee and Lynch and who knows how many other players didn't want to be in Buffalo. Maybe they should ask these guys before drafting them if they have any problems living in Buffalo. It would hopefully cut down on this redrafting at the same position over and over because they want out of Buffalo.

McGahee and Lynch and who knows how many other players didn't want to be in Buffalo. Maybe they should ask these guys before drafting them if they have any problems living in Buffalo. It would hopefully cut down on this redrafting at the same position over and over because they want out of Buffalo.

I don't disagree with you but sometimes these fractured relationships are hard to predict.

McGahee wouldn't stay in town during the offseason workouts. A lot of Bills fans held that against him especially when he would blow assignments. That hurt his standing in Buffalo. Maybe Donahoe figured that McGahee should/would be eternally grateful for being drafted in the first round even though he wasn't physically able to play for two seasons… and that he would be the good soldier. Unfortunately he wasn't.

It's possible that McGahee's (and Lynch's for that matter) relationship with the team/city wasn't poisoned until after their arrival and that these things weren't necessarily predictable.

All speculation of course.

The problem is that Lynch had a good game last night. So the anti front office faction will use that as proof of the notion that Nix and company are buffoons.

Edited by SactoBillFan

I'll give Spiller to the end of the year before I make a judgement, but this pick is starting to look bad, and I didn't have a problem with it at the time. I think he was by far the best player available. I think only Pierre Paul or Poncy would have been better for Buffalo, and at that time Pierre Paul would have been a huge reach and we already had Wood and Hangartner still as centers. No one knew Pouncy would play as well as he has as a rookie.

I've seen improvement from Spiller from last year to his year. Better patience, better at blitz pick ups, good hands, running hard between the tackles. I agree he goes down too easy still.

I think the next 5 games will give us a good idea in what we have in him.

RTB

You seem to imply that the Bills brass had some sort of cultural aversion to Lynch. He was a dreadlocked, grill-wearing, hip-hop loving RB when they drafted him out of Cal. Lynch's appearance and vocabulary had nothing to do with the Bills decision to draft him nor did it have anything to do with their decision to seek a trade for him. If he were a button-downed Ivy league star that just fell off the dry-cleaning truck implicated in a hit and run, asked to leave bars because he brought his own liquor, and caught smoking weed with a gun in his car facing a year-long suspension for one more offense, the Bills STILL would have sought to part ways with him.

As long as players with shiny gold teeth and dreads stay out of trouble and produce for the team, the Bills will be happy to keep them. Glad Lynch has found a new start and grown up in Seattle but that doesn't make the Bills wrong given what they had to go by at the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Ah, not what I meant. I meant the fans that would constantly ride him. You went to the games. You've been on the boards. I'm not saying the fan base is the GM but making Buffalo a hostile environment for him and doesn't go unnoticed by the player or the actual GM.

I do disagree though. I did feel the Bills made a big mistake on that one by getting rid of a great "2 punch" to Jackson and burning the 2010 #9 overall pick to replace him. Let's not forget that I'm sure Spiller is getting paid more than Lynch was and hasn't even had the opportunity to put up similar production.

Spiller a slight upgrade over Lynch? I suppose Todd Collins was a slight upgrade to Jim Kelly too? All they had to do was extend Lynch, that would have given us two very good backs (both 1,000 yard rushers), used that #9 pick on a position that we really needed (OL, DL, LB, QB, etc.) and we wouldn't be in the pickle we are in with Freddie out now.

Gotta read what I said but I understand my typo might have confused. "I would actually go even farther to say that is if Spiller does become a better back than Marshawn was it really worth the #9 overall pick for a slight upgrade?"

Edited by PDaDdy

Ah, not what I meant. I meant the fans that would constantly ride him. You went to the games. You've been on the boards. I'm not saying the fan base is the GM but making Buffalo a hostile environment for him and doesn't go unnoticed by the player or the actual GM.

I do disagree though. I did feel the Bills made a big mistake on that one by getting rid of a great "2 punch" to Jackson and burning the 2010 #9 overall pick to replace him. Let's not forget that I'm sure Spiller is getting paid more than Lynch was and hasn't even had the opportunity to put up similar production.

So are you saying his relationships with the team and the city was or was not beyond repair?

Lynch is a slug finally delivering in a contract year. He never ran in Buffalo like he ran last night. Never. And his mother cheats at Bingo!

Dude! Did you watch the games when he was here or were you at church?

Edited by PDaDdy

Well at least they were smart enough to see the error in hindsight. Some people still don't get it.

Right on man. I would actually go even farther to say that is Spiller does become a better back than Marshawn was it really worth the #9 overall pick for a slight upgrade? We could have provided this team with a lot of help with some of the OL, LBs and DEs on the board when we took Spiller how I do like to be honest. Also it was the 2010 draft not the 2009 draft.

I suppose this assumes marshawn stayed long term and didn't get in trouble?

Yes, that too.

Marshawn wanted out. All this dreaming about him still being here, etc. is pointless.

WRONG! Fans wanted him out and made Buffalo a caustic environment for him. Wanting to stay with the team despite this is commendable. Whether he wanted to stay or go none of us know. This falsity needs to stop.