Mike Leach hired as HC

The Senator

I'll give you that one - I certainly was of the complete opposite position of some knucklehead that insisted Leach was washed up and would never coach a major program again.

Major program? Maybe--but likely a step down even from TT.

The best part of the closed thread was your claim that Leach was a developer of QBs. Has any HC of a "major program" more poorly preapred his QBs for success in the NFL?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best part of the closed thread was your claim that Leach was a developer of QBs. Has any HC of a "major program" more poorly preapred his QBs for success in the NFL?

I guess it depends on what your idea of developing a QB is, and to what end. If you look at NCAA football as strictly an NFL factory, then you'd see Leach's QB tutelage as a failure I suppose. However, if you take NCAA football as its own entity and evaluate each of his QBs at Tech and the level of success they (and the team) had while he was in charge at Lubbock, you'd be singing an entirely different tune about Leach's abilities as a teacher and coach.

Edited by The Kaz

Try not to be too upset at the Cougars winning record and bowl appearance next season, as 'The Pirate' re- introduces the Air Raid offense and Jeff Tuel leads the PAC-12 in passing. :pirate:

I guess it depends on what your idea of developing a QB is, and to what end. If you look at NCAA football as strictly an NFL factory, then you'd see Leach's QB tutelage as a failure I suppose. However, if you take NCAA football as its own entity and evaluate each of his QBs at Tech and the level of success they (and the team) had while he was in charge at Lubbock, you'd be singing an entirely different tune about Leach's abilities as a teacher and coach.

I'm pretty sure that all of Leach's QBs (Tim Couch, Kliff Kingsbury, BJ Symons, and Garham Harrell) were not attending Kentucky and TT for the educational opportunities those schools offered. They all were expecting to move on successfully to the NFL after their high falutin' college careers with Leach ended. Every one of these passers busted. "Teaching" a talented QB to throw 60 times a game against college boys seems to stunt the grwoth of QBs and doesn't teach them anything about NFL football. The evidence is very clear.

Try not to be too upset at the Cougars winning record and bowl appearance next season, as 'The Pirate' re- introduces the Air Raid offense and Jeff Tuel leads the PAC-12 in passing. :pirate:

Is Wash State eligible for the galleryfurniture, Tangerine or Alamo Bowls?

Pac-12 is about to get even stronger. I have a friend who is an influential booster at UCLA, and he said that Chris Petersen (boise state) has agreed in principle to take the UCLA job, and that the deal willl be finalized and made public on monday or tuesday.

there will be a ton of entertaining football played on the west coast in the next few years.

Who's Mike Leach?

:nana:

:lol:

As of yesterday, the 3rd highest-paid head football coach in the PAC 12 ($2.25M/year + incentives) :beer:

As of yesterday, no more day-fishing in Key West with Jimmy Johnson for 'The Pirate - and the book-signing tours are over...

post-2970-083217100 1322776663_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Pac-12 is about to get even stronger. I have a friend who is an influential booster at UCLA, and he said that Chris Petersen (boise state) has agreed in principle to take the UCLA job, and that the deal willl be finalized and made public on monday or tuesday.

there will be a ton of entertaining football played on the west coast in the next few years.

I was wondering when one of these big schools would come to their senses and offer Petersen a job.

Anyhow, good luck Mike Leach and Wash State. Heard a bit of Leach on sports radio back in October and he was still blaming everyone else while playing the innocent victim.

He's a good coach, I only hope he can deflate his ego enough to keep the job.

Mike gets a chance to bring a marginal FBS program to relevance and restart his career, Wash State generates some excitement to help pay for their new stadium and get a good coach.

Be interesting if Leach gets it right or he's back on the street selling a new book about Wash State conspiracies.

Whatever, dude.

With Leach's hiring and the $20M/year Washington State will get from the new PAC-12 TV contract, it'll be a major program in no time at all...

Moos said Tuesday he was looking for a coach who would lead a high-powered offense that would win games, fill the stands at Martin Stadium and prompt donors to open their checkbooks. Leach would seem to fill all those criteria..Construction has already started on an $80 million project to add premium seating, luxury boxes and a new press box. Also on the drawing board is a $60 million football operations building..."I asked Athletic Director Bill Moos to select the best head football coach in the country and I am convinced that he has done exactly that," WSU President Elson S. Floyd said in a statement.

(Link - Sports Illustrated)

Is Wash State eligible for the galleryfurniture, Tangerine or Alamo Bowls?

Think Rose Bowl, dude.

Wazzu's goin' Bowlin' baby!!!! :pirate:

Edited by The Senator

Ah the age old question: is a college coach supposed to win games or train NFL talent? Obviously the two go hand in hand as you stop getting top talent if it has no shot at the next level but you don't have much of a program if you aren't winning either. Oh yea - and developing men for life, learning and all that nonsense.

Ultimately mike leach has no job if he loses games. He's made qbs into college winners. Do you also rip urban for tebow and Alex smith? I'd call neither NFL ready when they walked into draft day. Although they are what, like 15-1 combined this year? Who saw that coming!?!?

I'm pretty sure that all of Leach's QBs (Tim Couch, Kliff Kingsbury, BJ Symons, and Garham Harrell) were not attending Kentucky and TT for the educational opportunities those schools offered. They all were expecting to move on successfully to the NFL after their high falutin' college careers with Leach ended. Every one of these passers busted. "Teaching" a talented QB to throw 60 times a game against college boys seems to stunt the grwoth of QBs and doesn't teach them anything about NFL football. The evidence is very clear.

Nothing you've written has in any way addressed my point. College football doesn't exclusively exist to serve the NFL. The vast percentage of players who participate understand they have little chance at ever being a Sunday hero, yet they still play because they love to compete and want a chance to win. To use a baseball analogy, Leach isn't a roving hitting instructor whose sole purpose is to teach hitters throughout the farm system to hit the ball to the opposite field...to eventually benefit the parent club. Leach -- or any other college football coach -- has one main job to do: WIN. Taking a quarterback and making him a 4,000-yard passer with 45+ touchdowns within the scope of a system is nothing to sniffle at. And whether that QB excels at the next level is incongruent to the discussion. Would it be nice? Sure, but it isn't the coach's sole job or concern to make his player NFL ready. It's simply a byprodcut.

By your line of reasoning, Coach K is a failure because Christian Laettner and Danny Ferry aren't Hall of Fame basketball players.

Ah the age old question: is a college coach supposed to win games or train NFL talent? Obviously the two go hand in hand as you stop getting top talent if it has no shot at the next level but you don't have much of a program if you aren't winning either. Oh yea - and developing men for life, learning and all that nonsense.

Ultimately mike leach has no job if he loses games. He's made qbs into college winners. Do you also rip urban for tebow and Alex smith? I'd call neither NFL ready when they walked into draft day. Although they are what, like 15-1 combined this year? Who saw that coming!?!?

Two points:

I'm not "ripping" Leach (or Meyer)--I'm pointing out that Senator's claim that he develops QBs is wrong. They are one trick ponies being "taught" a system that has no relevance in their (presumed) chosen career--the NFL. They may get a lot of regional glory (and a lot of 'tang) for leading the NCAA in passing, but it can be more easily argued that this "teaching" may have stunted the development of Leach's top Qbs at TT.

Tebow and Smith were first round draft picks. Both had enough skill to get the attention of NFL teams and both are paying off-Tebow sooner than expected and Smith after he finally was provided with competent coaching. COnversely, Leach's greatest creation, Graham Harrel, despite all his gaudy passing numbers during his career at TT, was quickly recognized by teams around the league as a kid with no useful skills for career as an NFL QB. He went undrafted.

It's safe to say that no NFL personnel manager at any level has ever said these words: "the kid was coached and developed by Mike Leach--let's put him up there on our board".