Are we now the worst team of the last 15 years?

Virgil

If the Bengals, 49ers, and Lions keep this up, they'll make the playoffs this year and all three teams look like they are build for the long haul. With that being said, are we now the biggest joke in the NFL?

This isn't a pessimism thread or a "we just lost" thread. Honestly, what franchise has been worse than us in the past 20 years now?

Edited by Derek in Va

If the Bengals, 49ers, and Lions keep this up, they'll make the playoffs this year and all three teams look like they are build for the long haul. With that being said, are we now the biggest joke in the NFL?

This isn't a pessimism thread or a "we just lost" thread. Honestly, what franchise has been worse than us in the past 20 years now?

No.

Ummmmm you do realize that 20 years brings you back to 1991 and that the Bills were in the superbowl 91-94?

You might have a case at 15 years, and 10 absolutely. But not 20.

I agree, it also puts us back to the Flutie years when we were in the Playoffs. It has been all down hill since the Music City Ripoff. I would say over the past 13 years or so we are the worst in the NFL.

3 super bowl appearances and playoffs 7 of the first 9 years occurred in your time frame. Over the last 20 years, the Bills have been better than the Bengals, Bears, Browns, Raiders, Seahawks, and Lions, to name a few off the top of my head.

So I say no, the Bills are not the worst team over the last 20 years. Last 10 years? Absolutely, you can make that argument.

The bengals and 9ers both had success this decade. With the best injury, staffords health always a question, and Suhs head being questionable, with a headcase HC and the packers in the division I don't know how well built they are, or how prosperous they will end up

Over dramatic much?

Its funny how 1 decent season recently and all of the sudden the 49ers are this great team, same with the Lions who have been in a close tailspin as the Bills after their start to the season. Their playoff chances are not looking good, especially with GB running away with their division and having to rely on a WC spot to have a chance. A Giants win tomorrow and their playoff chances dwindle more

Its funny how 1 decent season recently and all of the sudden the 49ers are this great team, same with the Lions who have been in a close tailspin as the Bills after their start to the season. Their playoff chances are not looking good, especially with GB running away with their division and having to rely on a WC spot to have a chance. A Giants win tomorrow and their playoff chances dwindle more

Niners had some good years early in the decade - TO and Garcia etc... And if you say the last 15 like the original poster claims to have meant, you are getting pretty close to wearing a ring (that SB blowout win should fall right on that line, though barely outside if I'm remembering correct). I'll also say that handful of rings outweighs a handful of bad seasons the last few years.

That said the lions I'm on the fence with. A lot of question marks though very talented.

Are we now the biggest joke in the NFL?

So you're accusing us of being the worst team in the last 15 years, despite the fact that we're 5-6 which is better than we usually do...And you claim this is not a pessimism thread? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So you're accusing us of being the worst team in the last 15 years, despite the fact that we're 5-6 which is better than we usually do...And you claim this is not a pessimism thread? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

The fact that 5-6 is better than we usually do, is a bit of a downer... just throwing that out there.

The bengals and 9ers both had success this decade. With the best injury, staffords health always a question, and Suhs head being questionable, with a headcase HC and the packers in the division I don't know how well built they are, or how prosperous they will end up

49ers last playoff appearance was in 2002 (beat Giants, lost to Bucs). Bengals had one good run with Palmer (lost to Pitt). I would hardly call that success.

I live in St Louis.

Last year the kool-aid drinking Rams fans were hard to bear.

-The Rams just missed the playoffs.

-The Rams had MagicalFranchiseQBkid who would mystically lift them to greatness.

Now they're Exhibit A for my contention that having a very talented QB is not enough, not nearly enough. "It's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your a**"

But I digress. The point is, the 49ers show what improved coaching and a few key player acquisitions can do to change a team's fortunes. They still play in the very weak NFC West, and that only accounts for 2 of their wins so far. So the jury is still out. They look pretty real from here, though. They'd been putting the pieces together for years, some felt their pieces were busts and Harbaugh is showing that coaching had a lot to do with it.

The Lions are the Bills of the NFC. They have a few more key pieces - but they've been pushed around of recent weeks and are letting it get to them. They could put it together and come back next year, or they could implode.

49ers last playoff appearance was in 2002 (beat Giants, lost to Bucs). Bengals had one good run with Palmer (lost to Pitt). I would hardly call that success.

It's more success than we've had, not?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that one can't so easily judge a franchise quality from W-L. We've been consistently mediocre while other teams have been consistently awful. So I can't agree that we're the worst team of the last 15 years or even decade. But we haven't been built to rise above mediocrity.

And the jury's still out. If we retain our talent while building upon it now, we could keep rising, assuming we address the D coaching.

If we keep letting good players walk after their first contract, we'll plateau or fall somewhat.