At what point to you pull fitz

StamerforPrez

Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win football games right now. He has shown us he can win us games and put up solid stats. Even last year where he played only 13 games he had good numbers, and despite our 4-12 record we played many close games against playoff teams.

He has played within the top half of QBs this year, and if not from this bad stretch of three games, I'd say top 10. Things obviously look bad as a whole now, but would we really be 5-5 with Thigpen as our QB? Obviously we don't know, but from what I've seen I wouldn't think so. If Fitz is a "career backup" then Thigpen is a career 3rd stringer.

Plus...what kind of message does it say to pull the guy we just paid decent money to pilot our team for the next few years? That would show a complete lack of trust and faith and just look like our management has no clue what they're doing (which could be true, but still).

I just wanna say also that Fitz gets only a small amount of blame for our meltdown. It's not like he lost the games, really our defense did. They've given up huge points early, and leave us in permanent catch-up mode, which is more like throw-out-the-gameplan-and-panic mode. Plus our receivers dropped 10+ balls, several which turn into game-changing INTs...can't blame Fitz there.

But I think he'll find a groove again before the seasons out. With our crippling injuries playoffs are pretty much beat, might as well just keep him playing so he can keep improving, which he clearly has already done quite a bit.

Edited by Fitzyflakes67

I'll start this off by saying i'm a huge fitz fan. I couldn't wait for the bills to give him a contract, thinking we finally had some stability at qb. That being said, he's been horrible the past 3 weeks. Not 100% his fault, but he can take a lot of the blame. Based on the last 3 games, would there ever be a situation where Thigpen is thrown into the game after a few more horrific performances by fitz? I don't mean as a permanent starter, but the same way a starting goalie would be pulled after giving up 5 goals in the first period to pump some life into the team. Or do we stick with fitz no matter what and let him break out of this slump on his own?

I would say that if we had a front office that understood the word depth and didn't just sign players that have connections to them personally I would have already pulled him. But, with that said, with Thigpen being the backup (Gailey connection) and the ridiculous and future franchise paralyzing contract they just gave Fitz, what would you gain by pulling him? Nothing. We can lose with him or without him as the old saying goes.

Fitzpatrick gives us the best chance to win football games right now. He has shown us he can win us games and put up solid stats. Even last year where he played only 13 games he had good numbers, and despite our 4-12 record we played many close games against playoff teams.

He has played within the top half of QBs this year, and if not from this bad stretch of three games, I'd say top 10. Things obviously look bad as a whole now, but would we really be 5-5 with Thigpen as our QB? Obviously we don't know, but from what I've seen I wouldn't think so. If Fitz is a "career backup" then Thigpen is a career 3rd stringer.

Plus...what kind of message does it say to pull the guy we just paid decent money to pilot our team for the next few years? That would show a complete lack of trust and faith and just look like our management has no clue what they're doing (which could be true, but still).

I just wanna say also that Fitz gets only a small amount of blame for our meltdown. It's not like he lost the games, really our defense did. They've given up huge points early, and leave us in permanent catch-up mode, which is more like throw-out-the-gameplan-and-panic mode. Plus our receivers dropped 10+ balls, several which turn into game-changing INTs...can't blame Fitz there.

But I think he'll find a groove again before the seasons out. With our crippling injuries playoffs are pretty much beat, might as well just keep him playing so he can keep improving, which he clearly has already done quite a bit.

Good post. Our receivers have let us down bigtime. When a ball hits a guy in the hands, the QB has done his job. Our receivers need to take some lessons from #83 and work on catching balls in every possible position. They need to be wearing out our practice QB's and the passing machine.

I want him to stay the starting QB and get pounded and put up horrible passing stats so the Bills can justify cutting him in the offseason.

I'm happy for Fitz. He's a good guy who got the most out of his marginal talent and just got paid $10 million. But it's time for the Bills to move on. We owe him no more than that $10 million.

Alright, I've read everyones responses and now pose this.

We cannot pull Fitz, he is our starting QB, we have no one to replace him and the only benefit of putting in a backup QB is if we knew he needed experience time. Thigpen has enough experience in the Pro's, most of it under Gailey. So, now do we wonder what to do with Fitz? By keeping him in there is there any reason we expect him to get better? He still seems to be improving in the bad games. His willingness to throw some of these long balls I think is building himself some confidence and feel for it plus showing other teams that maybe they need to account for it. We no longer have Evans for the YAC, either.

So, is Fitz learning - doesnt' that mean something?

I'll start this off by saying i'm a huge fitz fan. I couldn't wait for the bills to give him a contract, thinking we finally had some stability at qb. That being said, he's been horrible the past 3 weeks. Not 100% his fault, but he can take a lot of the blame. Based on the last 3 games, would there ever be a situation where Thigpen is thrown into the game after a few more horrific performances by fitz? I don't mean as a permanent starter, but the same way a starting goalie would be pulled after giving up 5 goals in the first period to pump some life into the team. Or do we stick with fitz no matter what and let him break out of this slump on his own?

Only if he is carried off the field.

I don't get his blame Fitz first thing. He is the QB and the QB gets the glory when his team wins and is a goat when we loses, I get that. But His receivers dropped 10 passes vs the Fish. Steve Johnson and Donald Jones are pass dropping machines. How is that his fault?

He takes the opening drive down the field and throws a bad pass and we take a FG and go up 3-0. Then our D enters the game and give up a length of the field drive. Then Fitz leads us to 3 and out. Then the Defense again gives up a long drive. Then Fitz comes back in and hits Johnson in the hands and he doesn't catch it and the Fish take over on our 10. Once again our defense give up another TD. Later he hits the normally sure handed Nelson in the bread basket and he doesn't catch it and it turns into a pick 6. Then later the punt team gives up a TD. This is all Fitz fault? What is he supposed to do, throw the ball and then go catch it too? Play middle linebacker and get 6 sacks?

I will be the first to admit that Fitz has not played great in the last 3 games. But these have been team losses. If our WRs starting catching the good passes he does throw and CJ does well and these new WRs can catch, then we got a chance.

He does have the 4th highest completion percentage in the NFL, has the 6th most TD passes, and the 11th best QB rating in the league. This is typical TBD BS. Go after one of our guys who can play and paint him to be the villain and proclaim him a bust while other parts of the team are dreadful and causing us to lose games.

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

Am I the only one who watched the whole game on Sunday? Thigpen came into the game with about 9 mins left in the 4th quarter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20111120015&page=plays

You can count me in as someone who's aware. I've got a bizarre Jets passing yards vs Bills passing yards bet. Don't ask. Not Sanchez vs Fitz mind you - Jets vs Bills. For the year, I was down roughly 35 yards when good old Thigpen comes strolling into the game with some 9 minutes to go in the fourth. So I'm thinking "Great! I mean, there's no way he can't get 35 yards in NINE minutes. That's like one Spiller screen pass with a good wiggle."

Yeah. He definitely ended up with 6 total yards. Way to go.

For those who want to play at home, the Bills are actually ahead of the Jets in total passing yards 2,208 to 2,179. Doesn't feel good down the stretch without Freddy's ~80yards receiving per game.