Playoffs

Juror#8

PLAYOFFS!  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is your stance on the Buffalo Bills making the playoffs in 2011-2012?

• Make the playoffs under any circumstance! GO BILLS!
    • I hope that they only make the playoffs, demonstrably, by winning. GO BILLS!
    • They're showing improvement. Making playoffs now though would hinder development. Need top half of the draft talent again. GO BILLS!
    • Somebody has to lose for someone to win. If that puts Bills in playoffs, then so be it. There could be a talent impact, but Nix drafts better in Round(s) 4-7 anyway. GO BILLS!
    • One game at a time. Let the chips fall where they may. Squish the fish! GO BILLS!
    • The situation is obvious. Bills suck and need picks. Playoffs under any circumstance would be BAD! Lose and draft another stud. GO BILLS!
    • The draft doesn't matter and this poll sucks! GO BILLS!
    • The draft does matter and this poll sucks! You're a tool for not including this option before! GO BILLS!

*PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE RESPONDING*

Does anyone else not want the Bills to back their way into the playoffs?

There is something inherently wrong with cheering for another team to lose only because your team is not winning and that dynamic keeps you in playoff contention.

I know there will be a strong contingent of "making it into the playoffs breeds a mentality of winning and continued playoff appearances," but really?

How did that work out for Seattle? Kansas City? __________? ___________?

We really have holes to fill and backing into the playoff race on technicalities with a team not built for the run is self-defeating. We need to supplement the roster with talent that reflects where we actually stand vis-a-vis EVERYONE else. Backing into the playoffs destroys, mispresents, confuses, alters that construct which is aimed at guaranteeing parity over time.

The team is building something nice. And 10 years obviously sours people to the notion of "building." And I know that gems can be found in different stages of the draft. But the safer go, the stronger percentage, and where I'd be more comfortable betting on, is in an area of the draft where talent exists that can best impact a teams fortunes immediately.

And you can save the "but Maybin, but Marshawn, but McKelvin..." jokes. That is a function of a bad administration. The point is is that a better talent pool was there at that point than was there 15 pics later. It's all averages.

Now if we WIN and make the playoffs, WONDERFUL! But getting in because others in the division around us are losing and we pull off 3 or 4 wins against crap talent in crap ways down the stretch it will do more harm than good.

Edited by Juror#8

How did backing in work out for the packers last year? The jets 2 years ago? Even Seattle at 7-9 upset the defending superbowl champs last year, and Kansas city is once again right in the thick of their division race this year so I'm not sure those examples support your point very well either. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. I'd rather see the bills win out to get in than go 8-8 and have the teams they're competing against lose out but I'll still take the playoffs over no playoffs, no matter how either happens. Do you think new England fans were happy the year they went 11-5 and didn't get in just because they had a good record and should have/would have gotten in with that record most years?

Huh????

I will always root for the Jests, the dog faced fins, and the cheetreats to loose starting from day one and continue throughout the season. I can't help it ... playoffs or no playoffs for my Bills, I hate the other teams in the division and want them humiliated every week against every oponent!!!!

As far as the playoff are concerned, I cheer for the Bills to win every game, and hope they do. If they win every game from here on out I guess that would put us in the playoffs, but deep in my heart I don't think this team is ready for "prime time" just yet, we are just too inconsistant and have holes in our game.

We can't generate a pass rush, we can't man cover a decient reciever, we can't stonewall the opponents run game, except for Fred-ex we don't have any big play abilities, we can't stretch the field with a deep threat reciever, and we have injuries up the wazoo. All these issues may be inter related, or we may be a draft/free agency period or two away from getting the talent to play like the big boys.

Bottom line is ... the Bills are the good guys, other teams in the division are the bad guys, regardless of playoff implecations we should always root for good to triumph over evil, if that puts us in the playoffs so be it ... worry about that when the time comes

i'm sorry man, i just never understood this line of thinking where being bad makes you better than being good.

if the bills are at 8-7 going into week 17, and a win over new england gets us a 6 seed and knocks them out of the playoffs, then yes,

as a life long buffalo bills fan, i am going to grit my teeth and... *gulp* cheer for the bills that day, even though it might give us the 20th pick in the draft, as opposed to the 18th or 19th, and significantly alter the talent base of the team, and the future of the franchise.

We're not going to the superbowl, so really it doesn't matter. I'd like to see as much success as possible, so that we can possibly get to a superbowl before our good players leave for other teams.

My answer is: One game at a time, squish the fish. Worrying about future games will get you in trouble. Let see if we have the balls to bounce back from the last two beatings we've taken.

Edited by Dorkington

How did backing in work out for the packers last year? The jets 2 years ago? Even Seattle at 7-9 upset the defending superbowl champs last year, and Kansas city is once again right in the thick of their division race this year so I'm not sure those examples support your point very well either. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. I'd rather see the bills win out to get in than go 8-8 and have the teams they're competing against lose out but I'll still take the playoffs over no playoffs, no matter how either happens. Do you think new England fans were happy the year they went 11-5 and didn't get in just because they had a good record and should have/would have gotten in with that record most years?

With respect to Seattle and Kansas City, they probably didn't think that building on last years playoff runs (with mediocre teams and, consequently, corresponding draft choices) entailed a 3-6, and 4-5 record [respectively] halfway through the season.

Good grief...I can understand seeing the bright side of one more loss in a 4-12 season that gets you into the #3 draft slot, but a team that is 5-4 and right in the hunt and has already beaten the division leader?!?!? :wallbash:

Seriously, please read the entire thread.

The draft DOES matter, but this poll sucks.

Option added.

Exactly.

Please see above.

You ALWAYS want to make it into the playoff tournament.

ALWAYS. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

+1!! No question. Doesn't matter how you get in. Obviously I'd rather be 16-0 than 9-7 going in, but getting in is the key thing. And if you get in at 9-7 riding a 9 game winning streak, you might run the tables post season.

The difference in draft pick between a 10-6 record and an 8-8 record isn't noteworthy

It's not like we're going to get Andrew Luck either way

Exactly the difference in the talent pool from #47 pick to the #64 pick is minumal.

Teams can draft well at any slot.

People that advocate that losing to get a higher pick is a sound strategy only know what Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Mike Mayock tell them about the draft class.

It makes zero sense and yes I read the whole OP and the entire thread.

the difference between 9-7 and 5-11 are great. That's the difference between a definite top 10 pick and a 20th

You are equally as likely to draft well from the #10 spot as you are at the #20 spot. There is not a significant drop off. There are not only 10 good players in all of college football.

the difference between 9-7 and 5-11 are great. That's the difference between a definite top 10 pick and a 20th

We're not going 5-11. Not even worth discussing. But even the difference between #10 and #20 isn't all that great. Once you get past the top 5 or so, there's a dropoff.

Look, nobody supports rooting against the team as much as me. But the team already started down the "let's try to make the playoffs" path and I say we continue to root for that until we're mathematically eliminated.