Michael Moore

BillsNYC

Does he really deserve a nomination for Best Picture? I know the libs loved the move and it got a lot of attention, but best picture? Come on...you can't honestly say it deserves a nomination, let alone win it!

I wonder if the Passion will get a nomination?

absolutly. Despite your particular ideological leanings the picture can be viewed on its own merit. The picture was compelling. One of the more powerful moments that I have ever expereinced in a movie theater was Moore's choice to let the picture go completely black and only play the audio of the towers being hit and coming down. That haunted me in a similar way that the actual day of the attacks did. He captured the emotions people felt at the moment of the attack in a way that the video does not anymore (maybe because it has been played billions of times). That type of artistic choice is contained throughout the film.

Moore also did a great job capturing the fear, anger, paranoia, humor, politics, and the ubsurdidies resulting from 9/11. It was great film making, notwithstanding his politics.

One of the more powerful moments that I have ever expereinced in a movie theater was Moore's choice to let the picture go completely black and only play the audio of the towers being hit and coming down.

175517[/snapback]

That idea was actually taken from a previous documentary.

And you want moving...The Passion was moving.

Moore also did a great job capturing the fear, anger, paranoia, humor, politics, and the ubsurdidies resulting from 9/11. It was great film making, notwithstanding his politics.

175517[/snapback]

Exactly..it was a documentary...not a movie...therefore should not be compared to standard movies.

I heard someone being interviewed state that The Passion couldn't be nominated for best picture because it's a foreign language film. It could be nominated in other categories though.

I don't know if that's true - I'm not much for following that sort of thing. Typically in my opinion many pictures that win all those awards aren't very good. For example I thought Titanic sucked.

I heard someone being interviewed state that The Passion couldn't be nominated for best picture because it's a foreign language film.  It could be nominated in other categories though.

175594[/snapback]

That's too bad. I didn't think it would get an award, just for the overt religiousness of the movie. But I thought it deserved a nomination, simply because all religion aside, it was a powerful and well-done movie.

Not on my watch or clock does he! He's already ruined his reputation.

175792[/snapback]

Reputation ruined? He is more famous now than ever, tons and tons of people saw the movie. Even people who hate him are talking about him. He didn't ruin his reputation, he made it.

Reputation ruined?  He is more famous now than ever, tons and tons of people saw the movie.  Even people who hate him are talking about him.  He didn't ruin his reputation, he made it.

175823[/snapback]

It still isn't a very good movie, by what should be Academy Award standards.

F911 technically was a movie and not a documentary, as it was largely fictional...

And yes, I've seen it.

175732[/snapback]

Why would you say that? What makes it technically more a movie than a documentary? I don't think it fits either category cleanly at all but it is far more a documentary than a feature film, and I assume that the Academy of Motion Pictures would deem it so.

If you go by the dictionary definition of "documentary" you would exclude a lot of documentaries from being documentaries.

The answer to the question is no, no, a thousand times no, it does not come close to being best picture.

There was very little directing, there was very little acting (except, of course, when it was trying to be "true"), there was no film score, the editing was slipshod, the pacing was absymal, it jumped around and around and back again which made it structurally annoying and episodic, the sound was weak at best, there was no lighting. Virtually all of the elements that make up great filmmaking were either non-existant or weak. And this is The Best Picture of the Year? Hardly.

It was entertaining, sure. It had a few laughs. It made a couple good points. There was a few choice moments. It had a couple good tunes. It did a great job of making you feel lousy that a parent lost her kid in war. It poked good natured fun at a lot of things. But great filmmaking? Not even remotely close.

If you go by the dictionary definition of "documentary" you would exclude a lot of documentaries from being documentaries.

176819[/snapback]

I probably would. Lord knows documentary television hasn't produced a documentary in nearly 20 years...

I probably would.  Lord knows documentary television hasn't produced a documentary in nearly 20 years...

176865[/snapback]

Tom, is there a reason to believe that "Roger and Me" was stevestojan? As a trade unionist, I must confess that I was impressed and perhaps inspired by that film.

What's up?