Golisano Readies Bid For LA Dodgers

Astrobot

A t-shirt needs to be made about what you just said about Ralph Wilson.

Ralph was never going to move this team at any point in it's existence, it would have cost way too much money, and more than likely cost him sole ownership. Thanking Ralph for not spending the money to leave Buffalo is really what fans are doing. He did not keep the team here for the community's sake, he did so for his own benefit.

I don't think that is entirely true. How would moving the Bills cost him money? Moving vans? Relocation fees are a recent addition. I remember before Rich Stadium was built Seattle was trying to lure the Bills. Maybe it was a ploy but it worked.

PTR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A t-shirt needs to be made about what you just said about Ralph Wilson.

Ralph was never going to move this team at any point in it's existence, it would have cost way too much money, and more than likely cost him sole ownership. Thanking Ralph for not spending the money to leave Buffalo is really what fans are doing. He did not keep the team here for the community's sake, he did so for his own benefit.

You guys are idiots!!

Nothing wrong with being a good businessman. It's a business guys, remember that 1st and foremost. Would you move the team if it was making money?! Maybe we should thank him for taking a chance on Buffalo in the 1st place. The fact the Bills are profitable is a reason they are still here. I'm missing the logic. Sure he wasn't moving the Bills as you stated, unless they were losing money. In which case he would have sold them. So, I am thanking Ralph for running a profitable business. That is why they are still here.

"Thanking Ralph for not spending the money to leave Buffalo is really what fans are doing. He did not keep the team here for the community's sake, he did so for his own benefit." Again, it's a business, if it's losing money you close up shop, sell or move. Please remove emotion when talking business.

Edited by Dopey

I wouldn't be thrilled to have Tommy Boy (or "Ol' Sugar Packets" as someone at SabreSpace calls him.) Buying the Dodgers would not exclude him from owning the Bills, other than he might not be able to afford both franchises. With no NFL in L.A. he could also own the Bills if he wanted.

PTR

I agree PTR. Just another short term investment to make money on!

Maybe you should read the articles you link. That's not what he said.

As for the Bills moving to Seattle, another event that was never real. Every team move in the modern era has been because of a dispute over an inadequate stadium. In contrast to every owner who actually moved his team, each time Ralph made a demand, he was given what he wanted by the county. Therefore there was no reason for him to move.

I believe that perhaps you are all missing out on the probable bigger point -

that Golisano has moved on because the opportunity to own the Bills is no longer there and

maybe this is indicative that Ralph has a plan in place....

...or TG was just flapping his gums when he said he'd consider buying the Bills. It wasn't a blood oath or anything.

PTR

You guys are idiots!!

Nothing wrong with being a good businessman. It's a business guys, remember that 1st and foremost. Would you move the team if it was making money?! Maybe we should thank him for taking a chance on Buffalo in the 1st place. The fact the Bills are profitable is a reason they are still here. I'm missing the logic. Sure he wasn't moving the Bills as you stated, unless they were losing money. In which case he would have sold them. So, I am thanking Ralph for running a profitable business. That is why they are still here.

"Thanking Ralph for not spending the money to leave Buffalo is really what fans are doing. He did not keep the team here for the community's sake, he did so for his own benefit." Again, it's a business, if it's losing money you close up shop, sell or move. Please remove emotion when talking business.

Another brainless forum tough guy throwing insults around, THANK GOD you're a Bills fan on this board, we have such a shortage of name calling basement dwellers around here.

But you are by and large right in some respects, we have supported a losing product for 50 years with a 60% fail rate, and a better than 4-1 ratio of missing the playoffs historically, and we did so because of the constant threat since the late 60's that he might move the team. I will not thank Ralph Wilson for that, nor will I give him any credit for the little success the team has enjoyed either. We were very fortunate that Marv Levy turned out to be a decent coach, since he was attained on the cheap, and that Bill Polian actually knew what he was doing, and even he was an internal guy that Ralph obtained on the cheap. Sorry pal, you are one of all those idiots you decided to call out since you choose to support the Bills blindly as well. even worse, you go so far as to thank the man for keeping his team here with a gun pointed to the head of Erie county for nearly 40 years. He has made piles of money and invested very little over that span, yes...thanks...how stupid of me to not thank him for that. Thank you Ralph for not relocating your franchise, costing you millions of dollars and your sole control of your pet project... again thanks for saving you that money Ralph, I appreciate it...for you. The team was never going anywhere, and that makes Ralph a smart business man, thats all.

I love the team and support them as well, so I can throw myself in that group, but since you felt the need to insult anyone with an opinion different than yours that made anything you were trying to say null and void.

Maybe you should read the articles you link. That's not what he said.

As for the Bills moving to Seattle, another event that was never real. Every team move in the modern era has been because of a dispute over an inadequate stadium. In contrast to every owner who actually moved his team, each time Ralph made a demand, he was given what he wanted by the county. Therefore there was no reason for him to move.

Golisano also spoke briefly this evening to the Wall Street Journal about the Dodgers and pointed out a high payroll isn't necessarily required in baseball given the fact neither the Rangers or Cardinals were in the top 10 this season. The Dodgers were actually 12th this season at $104 million

Tommy didn't say he wouldn't spend money on players, just that he believed you didn't have to spend money on players to be successful...the same philosophy he employed at the Sabres. In Tommy's mind the Sabres were very successful: sold out games, always a contending team. No cup? Oh well. I know Bills fans don't want Ralph to overspend on his team. We totally get it.

PTR

WOOO The Buffalo Dodgers anyone?

How about Golisano teams up with Bob Rich, and buys the Tampa Bay Rays instead? They have a very good front office, a good to very good pitching staff, a decent farm system, and one of the best managers in baseball. They have a cheap owner, and horrible attendance, never having been higher than 9th in the AL, even in their world series year. Perhaps Rich would balance out Golisano's penny-pinching, and the stadium could easily be converted to 35-40 thousand seats, as it was designed to be expanded. I know, just a fantasy, but the Rays are only worth 330 million, while the Dodgers may go for 1 billion +. I think people in Buffalo would go nuts for big time baseball- we still hold all the attendance records for the minor leagues. Just a thought- flame away!

How about Golisano teams up with Bob Rich, and buys the Tampa Bay Rays instead? They have a very good front office, a good to very good pitching staff, a decent farm system, and one of the best managers in baseball. They have a cheap owner, and horrible attendance, never having been higher than 9th in the AL, even in their world series year. Perhaps Rich would balance out Golisano's penny-pinching, and the stadium could easily be converted to 35-40 thousand seats, as it was designed to be expanded. I know, just a fantasy, but the Rays are only worth 330 million, while the Dodgers may go for 1 billion +. I think people in Buffalo would go nuts for big time baseball- we still hold all the attendance records for the minor leagues. Just a thought- flame away!

Buffalo could never support a MLB team. Not enough people or money. Bills and Sabres get all the corporate dollars. Can't count on Canadians to cross the border since they have the Jays. Plus people would get bored of losing since they won't be able to afford free agents. (But we'll say the owner is cheap.)

What would be more practical would be the Jays playing a game or two in Buffalo.

PTR

Tommy didn't say he wouldn't spend money on players, just that he believed you didn't have to spend money on players to be successful...the same philosophy he employed at the Sabres. In Tommy's mind the Sabres were very successful: sold out games, always a contending team. No cup? Oh well. I know Bills fans don't want Ralph to overspend on his team. We totally get it.

PTR

Well, he's simply stating a fact. What's your beef with him stting a simple fact that is obvious to any sports fan?

In Ralph's mind, the Bills have been totally successful--sold out games, huge profit margins, rarely a contending team since the league merger. No rings? Oh well, there is the Hall of Fame....

The league had to run the Sabres for two years due to the Rigas debacle.

Only two interested parties emerged during that time to purchase the team which was teetering on bankruptcy. One person, Hamister was not judged to be a viable owner.

As such there was only one person who could purchase the team and keep it in Buffalo.

That was Golisano.

Can we please be properly grateful to those who deserve our gratitude?

Agree 100%. He saved the Sabres and they had a pretty damn good run under him. Fans are so grateful, it's sad. And that geezer Ralph Wilson is just keeping the Bills here to fatten his pockets off the booming economy in WNY. :thumbsup:

Golisano deserves our thanks and admiration.....he quite possibly saved buffalo from losing our team....that is huge.

unfortunately he suffers from the same condition as ralph....putting your faith in bozo underlings....in golisano's case...larry quinn.

Well, he's simply stating a fact. What's your beef with him stting a simple fact that is obvious to any sports fan?

In Ralph's mind, the Bills have been totally successful--sold out games, huge profit margins, rarely a contending team since the league merger. No rings? Oh well, there is the Hall of Fame....

So just so I'm clear here...you are sticking up for Tom Golisano for saying you don't have to spend money to be successful, but you hate Ralph Wilson because he won't spend money to be successful? :blink:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I just flew into LA, nobody knows who Golisano is! I'm about to go out to dinner with some major Dodgers fans...From what I've known is they don't care who owns this franchise, as long as its NOT the McCourts!

I live in OC and am a lifetime Dodgers fan. I cannot wait for McCourt to get the f out of this city. I still think he purposefully messed up the franchise

So just so I'm clear here...you are sticking up for Tom Golisano for saying you don't have to spend money to be successful, but you hate Ralph Wilson because he won't spend money to be successful? :blink:

PTR

First of all, unless you are a high school student, why the casual of the word "hate"? This football, I don't hate Ralph Wilson--or anyone else. Grow up, son.

Second, you made some sorrt of point (still unclear) about Golisano telling us the obvious---you don't need to spend a lot to win in any league, you have to spend wisely. You somehow linked that thrift to the Sabres not winning a cup during TG's brief ownership, yet you are oblivious to Ralph's decades of thrift and SB futility.

Ralph doesn't historically spend a lot, or wisely.