team can't look forward

The combined records of our remaining opponents is 26-37. Of the teams I consider "in contention" in the AFC only Houston's remaining schedule, with a record of 24-35, looks easier than ours. New England's (26-38) is similar to ours, but they play teams that we beat early but have come on strong lately (Philly, KC) while we play some teams that are falling off a bit (Tennessee, San Diego). And of course 5 of our last 9 games are in-division.

The combined records of our remaining opponents is 26-37. Of the teams I consider "in contention" in the AFC only Houston's remaining schedule, with a record of 24-35, looks easier than ours. New England's (26-38) is similar to ours, but they play teams that we beat early but have come on strong lately (Philly, KC) while we play some teams that are falling off a bit (Tennessee, San Diego). And of course 5 of our last 9 games are in-division.

The 2nd half will certainly be easier than the 1st half. If we can just get ourselves to 6-2 by "halftime" I'll be quite comfortable with our playoff hopes.

That said, 11 out of 16 AFC teams are currently above .500 and it's going to be a down and dirty dogfight.

Out of those 11 teams...

Very Surprised if they make it

KC

Tennessee

Surprised if they make it

Oakland

Cincy

Up in the air

NYJ

Baltimore

Buffalo

Surprised if they don't make it

New England

Pittsburgh

Houston (because somebody has to win that division)

San Diego (because somebody has to win THAT division)

With Oakland's QB situation I'd put them in the 'Very Surprised' category. I'm not a believer in Cinci yet, and they still play Baltimore & Pittsburgh twice each. Baltimore has been so up-and-down this year. It may very well come down to who wins the series between the Bills & jets.

I'm thinking that the Wild Card teams will come from the East and the Central. The West and South will have only the divisional winners making the playoffs (right now theres the 3 way fight out west between Oakland, KC and SD, and the South will be a fight between Tenn and Houston)

it will be a close fight between Buffalo and NE right now for the division I believe, although the Jets could turn things around and make it a 3 way race to the finish if Buffalo lets them get back into the race this weekend. And in the Central, it will be a 3-way race with Pitts, Baltimore, and Cinncy.

If i had to pick now, I would say

NE, Pitts, SD and Tenn win their divisions

and the wild card goes to Buffalo and Cinncy

It's funny the title of your post. When I start talking with my brother about games down the road, he always

stops me and states, "we can't look past this week's opponenet, and have to stay focused on them", to which I remind

him, that we as fans can look ahead as far as we want and speculate accordingly, just so the players don't.

I have to remind him that as intense as we might be about our beloved Bills, we don't suitup on Sundays. So let

the speculation begin. Can't argue with your speculatuion.

I'm thinking that the Wild Card teams will come from the East and the Central. The West and South will have only the divisional winners making the playoffs (right now theres the 3 way fight out west between Oakland, KC and SD, and the South will be a fight between Tenn and Houston)

it will be a close fight between Buffalo and NE right now for the division I believe, although the Jets could turn things around and make it a 3 way race to the finish if Buffalo lets them get back into the race this weekend. And in the Central, it will be a 3-way race with Pitts, Baltimore, and Cinncy.

If i had to pick now, I would say

NE, Pitts, SD and Tenn win their divisions

and the wild card goes to Buffalo and Cinncy

No, I am going to go ahead and call something (I know you are all waiting with baited breathe :D ) San Diego will not win the West.

Honestly, it is as many of us have stated before; it is not that they are a bad team and that they can't beat you just that they are a very good team...that plays poorly.

I really don't consider them ahead of KC or Oakland right now.

No, I am going to go ahead and call something (I know you are all waiting with baited breathe :D ) San Diego will not win the West.

Honestly, it is as many of us have stated before; it is not that they are a bad team and that they can't beat you just that they are a very good team...that plays poorly.

SD has only two games remaining against teams with losing records. I think KC might sneak in b/c their remaining schedule is less grueling.

Great writeup Rubes, thx for sharing.

Edited by r00tabaga

This description of the Chargers reminds me of a line that was once used about the Bills and still pisses me off: tough team to play; easy team to beat.

The Bengals are easily the most overrated of the teams with 2 losses. Their 4 other wins aside from the Bills came against the following NFL powerhouses: Colts, Jags, Seahawks, Browns. They lost to the 49ers and friggin Broncos.

Here are my predictions...

The 4 division champs:

Pats, Steelers, Texans, Chiefs

The 2 wild card teams:

Bills, Ravens

The 5 teams that will just miss the playoffs:

Titans, Jets, Chargers, Raiders, Bengals

The 5 teams that will "Suck for Luck:"

Colts, Broncos, Jaguars, Water Mammals, Browns

Its fine, I respect your opinion on SD, its tough to call not because they are so good, but because the division isn't that great and 3 of the teams will be fighting to see who is best in one of the worst divisions. SD has a good team, but they don't always play like it. KC looked very BAD to start the year, and now is on a bit of a hot streak, question is, will it last? Oakland was looking like they would be a good team taking that division, but not its all reliant on Carson Palmer learning the offence and if he can get back to the player he was pre-injury and lead them. I don't know if anyone can really disagree that either of those 3 teams are ahead of each other right now but one of them will be a "playoff team" only because they have to have one of them win their division