Is hitting illegal?

Some of the best safties in NFL history would not be able to play today. Dennis Smith, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater.....all to physical!

This past weekend, Stanford had a drive extended in the 4th qtr on a 3rd down personal foul. The safety made a beautiful play on the ball and broke up the pass. The flag was thrown (1st down Stanford) and Stanford finished the drive with a TD and went on to win the game. It's getting out of hand.

Some of the best safties in NFL history would not be able to play today. Dennis Smith, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater.....all to physical!

This past weekend, Stanford had a drive extended in the 4th qtr on a 3rd down personal foul. The safety made a beautiful play on the ball and broke up the pass. The flag was thrown (1st down Stanford) and Stanford finished the drive with a TD and went on to win the game. It's getting out of hand.

Shameless Luck promotion. Too many $$$$ to pass up.

Anyone watching the Monday nighter? That hit on McLean was a good clean hit and the flag came out immediately. The refs are going to throw the flag on a good hit every time. It's really starting to ruin the game for me (unless the Bills are the beneficiary).

A poor call does not mean a bad rule. You'll live.

Shameless Luck promotion. Too many $$$$ to pass up.

I didn't see that game, but I am also hearing that USC informed the ref that they wanted to use their final timeout at the end of the game...to attempt a 50 yard field goal. The ref acknowledged it, but the clock was not stopped, and they went to OT. It sure sounds like somebody had reason for that thing to go extra time, and, perhaps, give Luck one more opportunity to add to his legend.

The rule is bad. I get the blatant shots to the head but expecting a DB to try and make the perfect hit on a WR coming at him 100 mph isn't reasonable. It's slowing down the game and making the product watered down.

Of course the rule is bad. It seems to be getting more ridiculous each and every week. Football is a physical sport, in which abnormally- sized men hit each other over and over and over. The players all know what they've signed up for and get paid handsomely for their sacrifices.

The NFL has gotten soft,IMO. Just look at NFL Network for another example. In the offseason, when I'm craving some football, I'll turn on NFL network and reluctantly tune into some Top 20(insert position here) of all-time, when what I really want to see is some Sabol NFL films that portrayed the hard-nosed,bruising,almost-mythical warriors giving it their all on the gridiron.

Edited by It's in My Blood

The rule is bad. I get the blatant shots to the head but expecting a DB to try and make the perfect hit on a WR coming at him 100 mph isn't reasonable. It's slowing down the game and making the product watered down.

A WRs body is a pretty big target. Keep your head away from his and don't launch. If half these guys knew how to hit you wouldn't have so many borderline calls.

Know what's even sadder? How many physical safeties die before they hit 50.

Anyone watching the Monday nighter? That hit on McLean was a good clean hit and the flag came out immediately. The refs are going to throw the flag on a good hit every time. It's really starting to ruin the game for me (unless the Bills are the beneficiary).

don't worry they will have them all wearing pink skirts soon. Hopefully this just an overreaction they will fade out over time like in-the-grasp did.

Defensive players need to start hitting the offenders with there shoulders and wrap them up with a good form tackle which is just as hard of a hit as coming in with the elbow or helmet and will ensure the player doesn't bounce off and keep running.

I didn't see that game, but I am also hearing that USC informed the ref that they wanted to use their final timeout at the end of the game...to attempt a 50 yard field goal. The ref acknowledged it, but the clock was not stopped, and they went to OT. It sure sounds like somebody had reason for that thing to go extra time, and, perhaps, give Luck one more opportunity to add to his legend.

I feel bad for him given he is only a kid and he will crash and burn so hard when he sees the real world of the NFL. It is not like the NBA where they just carry over the college stardom in some cases. After being handed all of this in his college career, Luck may have a Lohan-esque meltdown when he flames out. Personally I find it sad for Spears and Lohan and will find it sad for Luck.

P.S. Do you think the NBA will play this year or will Lebron have another year to wait for a ring?

I feel bad for him given he is only a kid and he will crash and burn so hard when he sees the real world of the NFL. It is not like the NBA where they just carry over the college stardom in some cases. After being handed all of this in his college career, Luck may have a Lohan-esque meltdown when he flames out. Personally I find it sad for Spears and Lohan and will find it sad for Luck.

P.S. Do you think the NBA will play this year or will Lebron have another year to wait for a ring?

You've missed the point. The "real world of the NFL" is soft and very QB/WR biased.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

Sounds like somebody didn't want to stop enjoying the cocktails at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Edited by FreakPop