No Extension Talks Between Bills and Stevie Johnson

CBD

A full 48 hours after Fitzpatrick’s deal was done, the Bills have not yet renewed discussions with Johnson, per a source with knowledge of the situation. As we previously reported, the two sides traded offers before the regular-season began, but the talks quickly reached impasse and ended.

It’s now believed that the Bills will be focusing in the short term on extending the deals of players like kicker Rian Lindell and offensive lineman Erik Pears, both of whom are in the final year of their contracts, too.

That could mean the Bills are willing to use the franchise tag on Johnson, which would pay him in the range of $10 million for 2012. Given that he entered the league as a seventh-rounder and that he’s making only $1.2 million this year, he probably wouldn’t complain about that, if that’s what happens.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/with-fitzpatrick-signed-stevie-johnson-may-not-be-next-up-for-new-deal/

I find it hard to believe they are righting this a whole 48 hours after Fitz signed his contract when there was travel and a game in between.

Edited by Carey Bender

Stevie is a seems like a great leader of the goon squad and has embraced Buffalo, his play is not that of a Top 10 WR but certainty a Top 20 WR

If he walks in Free Agency it shows the young WRs if you want to be paid well you need to move to another team.

The Bills have to extend him if only to prove to these young UDFAs and 7th round picks that the Bills will reward hard work.

If they let him go I think you can find a similar talent on the field but its hard to find leaders in the clubhouse.

The Bills are way under the salary floor, time to start paying the contributors to this resurgence.

Johnson's still on his rookie contract, no?

Seems he's less of a priority right now than Action.

He is an Unrestricted Free Agent after this season.

So he is only less of a priority if you're planning to Franchise him, Which in my opinion would be a completely stupid waste of the franchise tag and lead you to vastly over pay for Stevie's services.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I dont think franchising Stevie is the worst option if a deal cant be done....if he wants to be paid like top 10 WR and we dont think he deserves it for a full contract, let him play one year under the top money and see if he produces like it...if you extend out his numbers from our first half of the season he finishes with rougly 75 catches, 900 yards and 8 TDs, thats NOT worth a contract of 5 years/50 million...so if thats what he wants, franchise him and see if he improves those numbers and if he doesnt, then he (and the leauge) will see he isnt worth top 10 money

perfect situation for a franchise tag actually

Personally I understand the whole argument that he needs to put up solid numbers consecutively in order to recieve a top 10 type of contract. However, at some point the FO of this organization has to tale a shot on somebody. Others teams do this all the time and we always complain we don't do it. Stevie has been like Freddy in some ways. On his first season he got in at the end of the year and had a few decent games, people were begging to get him in there the next season. Then TO came here and SJ almost didn't see the field that year. Then all the sudden he blows up, like many of us thought he could. The fact is the Bills need to right this thing with him and Fred. Sign Stevie to a long term contract for 6 years and keep him and Fitz very happy. The 2 of them are a team, they came up together, like Mannin/ Harrison, Manning/Wayne, Kelly/Reed, Montana/Young/Rice, Aikman/Irvin. The stud QBs and WRs always have great careers. These guys need each other IMO.

I dont think franchising Stevie is the worst option if a deal cant be done....if he wants to be paid like top 10 WR and we dont think he deserves it for a full contract, let him play one year under the top money and see if he produces like it...if you extend out his numbers from our first half of the season he finishes with rougly 75 catches, 900 yards and 8 TDs, thats NOT worth a contract of 5 years/50 million...so if thats what he wants, franchise him and see if he improves those numbers and if he doesnt, then he (and the leauge) will see he isnt worth top 10 money

perfect situation for a franchise tag actually

hes actually on pace for 89rec 1000yds 9TD's

I see Fitz and Fred more valuable to this offense. Top 5-10 WR money puts SJ near Fitz's money. That's not right, and he has not produced to that level. Our system and QB may make his performance look like more than his talent. Not sure I put him too far above Nelson and Donald Jones. Yeah SJ is better than them, but how much? You could say tight end Chandler deserves a fortune, second in the NFL for tight end TD's

I see Fitz and Fred more valuable to this offense. Top 5-10 WR money puts SJ near Fitz's money. That's not right, and he has not produced to that level. Our system and QB may make his performance look like more than his talent. Not sure I put him too far above Nelson and Donald Jones. Yeah SJ is better than them, but how much? You could say tight end Chandler deserves a fortune, second in the NFL for tight end TD's

Stevie at this point is the best WR on the Bills. He runs fabulous routes that make up more than makeup for his lack of top end speed. Yet, he's plenty quick enough. Donald Jones appeared a bit stronger than Stevie, but has dropped more than he should (especially early in games), and he lacks the moves that make Stevie so effective. I don't see Stevie in the top ten in the NFL, but he's inching closer.

Explain your logic in this, please. How is a guy who is signed until 2013 more of a priority than a URFA?

Symbolism, in two regards:

Action is much more of a one-man band at his position. Our passing game relies on receiver by committee, thus snuffing out super-star level achievement from any individual. Stevie will continue to be the best of the bunch, but he's no Andre Johnson, he's not a one-man game changer.

Fred is.

Fred--by all accounts--is also a team leader. He's a professional, he's incredibly humble and he GETS THE JOB DONE! Just like we did with K. Williams, we sign him so the rest of his career is spent here in Buffalo. Show him the love.

It pains me to say it, but the real question is, who needs who more: Does Stevie need Buffalo, or does Buffalo need Stevie? I don't think there's a clear-cut answer to this question, specifically the latter half.

Now substitute Action: does Buffalo need him? A resounding "YES."