Merriman to IR

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone saw this coming, it's not a surprise. Dude ravaged his body with steroids and played above the level his body could handle. I wonder if he stayed natural and played for the long haul how he would be doing today.

What did surprise me is how well Shawne seemed to fit in with this team. I thought he was more of a meathead and "ME" guy than he turned out to be. He liked it here and the team liked him too. Maybe he can still help Moats and Batten with film and technique stuff for the rest of the year.

Gotta admit for those few preseason games it was nice to see him dominate, but you could tell it was only a matter of time til IR came calling.

What did surprise me is how well Shawne seemed to fit in with this team. I thought he was more of a meathead and "ME" guy than he turned out to be. He liked it here and the team liked him too. Maybe he can still help Moats and Batten with film and technique stuff for the rest of the year.

IMO that's been his greatest impact this year. Being such an awesome team guy. My opinion of him has completely changed due to it. I really hope he heals up and is able to play again, just because of his mentality.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty thankful for the limited time he's been here. Hopefully he can make Moats/Batten as good as he was in his prime. :D

That is about as surprising as getting snow in Buffalo during the winter. It was a bad move from the beginning, but it was a Buddy Nix "hook up". On the positive side, months ago someone asked how long before Merriman got hurt and my guess was 5 games! And 5 worthless games it was.

Drats.

He made a hell of an effort. Hopefully he sticks around, he seems to be a great vocal leader. He can still jump around and get guys fired up, right?? :D

Knowing him, he will get hurt doing that too? :wallbash:

As mentioned above, Merriman ruined a promising career with steroid use. His success in Buffalo was so unlikely given his chronic injury status in his waning years in SD, yet plenty of people (including our GM) were willing to overlook this obvious fact and figured he would magically return to full steroid-dependent form. When that didn't happen, we are left with the predictable lamentation of a tragic loss of a great player by those true believers who somehow couldn't see this coming. The rest of us are told that we just were not bright enough to see the herculean contribution Merriman was making to this defense (one actually said "There goes any pass rush"). Then there is his value as a cheerleader (a position in which he also injured himself this year) and as a recruiter who reportedly was able to bring in player("s") who wouldn't come for our GM.

Anyway, I think this is also an indictment to some degree on the medical staff of the Bills. Merriman had a well known recent injury history in SD and was coming off their IR list. After what had to be a cursory exam, they cleared him and he became a Buffalo Bill. He immediately was reinjured on his first steps onto the practice field. He was again placed on IR. Again he was cleared to play this offseason. He was used very sparingly in preseason--despite being fairly new to the team and despite a severely truncated preseason. Many here said "don't worry, he's saving hmself for the season". A few games in he is injured again. Now we learn he back on IR (4th time in less than 3 seasons) and will need surgery to repair his injured achilles.

Why didn't the medical staff recommend this after last season? If they did, why didn't he have it done? It all adds up to Buddy pressuring everyone to get this guy on the field ASAP. The aquisition and subsequent revelation he needed surgery would have been a PR disaster.

One can only imagine the dersion that would eminate from this board if this woeful sequence of events had been perpetrated by any other GM in the AFCE.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Throwing out a number isn't what I'd call qualifying or quantifying risk. You did offer an opinion and explained your position and the rationale behind it, as did others with the opposite opinion. Without any basis for an expected return and a risk factor based on analysis, we can't even begin to discuss good investment vs. poor investment, which is relative anyway when you factor in risk tolerance/aversion. So as you can see, the original thread really boiled down to "I don't know anything but my gut says it isn't worth it" vs. "I don't know anything but my gut says why not." No one was right or wrong, except for Moran who is always wrong.

You seem to know something about assessing risk, cost benefit, and tolerance/aversion. You should see the truth of this statement then. ANY RISK YOU CAN'T QUALITATIVELY OR QUANTITATIVELY ASSESS IS A BAD ONE!!!!! If you can't even take a guess based on his injury and substance history over a relatively long sample period of several RECENT years then it is a BAD/undefined risk.

I also hate to state the painfully obvious but we now have the benefit of hindsight. $10.5 million contract, little impact on the 31st ranked defense, last game played week 5 and put on IR during a freaking bye week.

Can we at least agree in hindsight it was a bad idea?

Edited by PDaDdy

Wonder if he'll be released

That is a tough one to figure out. He was (as it is told) instrumental in recruiting some of the guys that came here (not that they are the best of the best but I have been happy with barnett's play so far) so it is hard to just release him, especially after he didn't want to be here until Buddy convinced him :blink: but now that this team has shown a strong start it might attract a few free agents on it's own and if they keep building through the draft who knows. Just seems like the guy can't keep healthy which is unfortunate for him and the team. It was fun while it lasted in pre-season though huh Mr. Merriman?

As mentioned above, Merriman ruined a promising career with steroid use. His success in Buffalo was so unlikely given his chronic injury status in his waning years in SD, yet plenty of people (including our GM) were willing to overlook this obvious fact and figured he would magically return to full steroid-dependent form. When that didn't happen, we are left with the predictable lamentation of a tragic loss of a great player by those true believers who somehow couldn't see this coming. The rest of us are told that we just were not bright enough to see the herculean contribution Merriman was making to this defense (one actually said "There goes any pass rush"). Then there is his value as a cheerleader (a position in which he also injured himself this year) and as a recruiter who reportedly was able to bring in player("s") who wouldn't come for our GM.

Anyway, I think this is also an indictment to some degree on the medical staff of the Bills. Merriman had a well known recent injury history in SD and was coming off their IR list. After what had to be a cursory exam, they cleared him and he became a Buffalo Bill. He immediately was reinjured on his first steps onto the practice field. He was again placed on IR. Again he was cleared to play this offseason. He was used very sparingly in preseason--despite being fairly new to the team and despite a severely truncated preseason. Many here said "don't worry, he's saving hmself for the season". A few games in he is injured again. Now we learn he back on IR (4th time in less than 3 seasons) and will need surgery to repair his injured achilles.

Why didn't the medical staff recommend this after last season? If they did, why didn't he have it done? It all adds up to Buddy pressuring everyone to get this guy on the field ASAP. The aquisition and subsequent revelation he needed surgery would have been a PR disaster.

One can only imagine the dersion that would eminate from this board if this woeful sequence of events had been perpetrated by any other GM in the AFCE.

GOOD GOD +1000!!!

Seriously. How people couldn't see this coming is baffling. Hope with your heart as I did but think with your head. All the "it's a good risk" talk was just delusional.

When discussing risk, even in hindsight, the downside should always be considered. Other than the loss of money, which per the Bills Cap situation has had little or not impact, why exactly has it been a bad risk.

I was hopeful, but I am not suprised by the result. At the same time, I do not see what the big deal is since he has had little or no impact on the operation of the team. In fact, it could be argued that his off the field efforts have actually helped the team. Probably not to the level of the money he has been paid, but it should still be figured as a mitigating factor.

I think I called this injury when it was reported his Achilles was "flaring up". He'll never again play as a Bill and I'd kinda be surprised if we see him start another game in the league again.

Why are some people so down about this? He never contributed anything to the team and all he was doing was depriving guys of playing time that have some real potential (Moats). I'm excited to see what the young guys on the roster can do when plugged into the game plan full time.

That is a tough one to figure out. He was (as it is told) instrumental in recruiting some of the guys that came here (not that they are the best of the best but I have been happy with barnett's play so far) so it is hard to just release him, especially after he didn't want to be here until Buddy convinced him :blink: but now that this team has shown a strong start it might attract a few free agents on it's own and if they keep building through the draft who knows. Just seems like the guy can't keep healthy which is unfortunate for him and the team. It was fun while it lasted in pre-season though huh Mr. Merriman?

As far as the question of whether Merriman will be released I doubt it.

While I'm skeptical whether he can recover from surgery quickly enough to play effectively next year, it seems like he and Nix have a strong personal relationship and that Nix is gonna keep keep the dream alive by keeping him with the team.

Just a guess.