Merriman to IR

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all well and good, but in the end, you're just another shmo typing thoughts with only part of the information. would you have signed him at any cost?

Veteran minimum!

Even then it's not necessarily a "good" risk. It is a gamble though. "Gambling" implies something that is a bad risk but you take a shot at it anyways. I didn't think we should have taken the risk we did and I was very vocal about that LAST year.

Taking a "gamble" with a fraction of the money that this guy was given and a promise that if he plays out an year for the most part healthy he would be resigned to a legit contract? That would have been a much better way to go about it. You could have even written the contract to be based on statistical performance that couldn't be realized if he was on the bench, rehabbing AGAIN or on IR.

Basically we could have been paying him veteran minimum while he rehabs instead of millions. That is only if you are inclined to "gamble".

You've relied on the "you don't know anything so you're wrong" approach while trumpeting the "I don't know anything but, I'm right approach," and clearly do not see the contradiction therein. Your argument rests on: 1. the risk being too high, OR 2. the risk being indeterminable (and thus unacceptable). The first condition is your baseless opinion, and the second condition is your uneducated opinion. Great foundation for all that follows.

And I never claimed the risk cannot be estimated. It certainly can be estimated in a reasonable manner which I briefly outlined previously. With your level of understanding, signing Merriman would have certainly been an unwise investment, since you cannot estimate risk and do not have the resources to gather information. For an entity with the resources to gather information and perform analysis, like say an NFL franchise, signing Merriman might have been a reasonable investment. Neither you or I will likely ever know what went into the decision to sign Shawn and are thus SPECULATING about the risk. But don't let the fact that you are totally ignorant of the situation and based your SPECULATION, can't stress that word enough, that the Merriman signing was a bad investment on almost nothing, stop you from asserting that the risk was much too high.

And there is nothing philosophical or ungrounded about the methods and approach I described. Its called investment analysis, and the framework I outlined is how it is actually performed in the corporate world. Whether its an equity, a new project, real estate or a football player the methodology and approach are similar. Analysis relies heavily on comparables to model potential future results.

Without meaningful analysis, we're just trading guesses and opinions. Your uneducated opinions and speculation aren't any more or less correct than the next guy's ignorant opinions and speculation. I don't expect you to grasp this concept or any others which spoil your "victory" lap.

Seriously man. Don't be THAT guy. The guy that never has anything to add or takes a stand themselves but only lives to try to pitifully shoot down everyone else's thoughts and ideas claiming they can't possible know what they know or feel the way they feel. All day long you say I'm wrong but you can't tell anyone what is right. I'm sorry you are paralyzed by indecision and supposed lack of information but I am not.

5 Years playing 29% of the games with terrible statistical performance compared to his first 3 steroid fueled, injury free but probowl years, it's a no brainier. Sorry that is not enough information for you but I will accept those obvious facts and assess the risk to be a bad one.

I will always take a stand. Guys like you only take a stand against guys like me but really end up saying nothing. I hope in your personal life you are not paralyzed with indecision because you don't have an overwhelming amount of information to make a decision with.

Edited by PDaDdy

Merriman wouldn't have agreed to it. Tampa and Miami were interested in him too.

Well good luck to them if they were willing. Just because someone else wants to buy a broken down muscle car to try to rebuild doesn't mean I will overpay to outbid them.

I remember a thread earlier in the year, when Merriman signed here, that everyone posting gave their predictions on the number of games he would play?? Alot of the predictions said 6-8 weeks. I guess we called it, everyone saw this coming.. oh well

Seriously man. Don't be THAT guy. The guy that never has anything to add or takes a stand themselves but only lives to try to pitifully shoot down everyone else's thoughts and ideas claiming they can't possible know what they know or feel the way they feel. All day long you say I'm wrong but you can't tell anyone what is right. I'm sorry you are paralyzed by indecision and supposed lack of information but I am not.

5 Years playing 29% of the games with terrible statistical performance compared to his first 3 steroid fueled, injury free but probowl years, it's a no brainier. Sorry that is not enough information for you but I will accept those obvious facts and assess the risk to be a bad one.

I will always take a stand. Guys like you only take a stand against guys like me but really end up saying nothing. I hope in your personal life you are not paralyzed with indecision because you don't have an overwhelming amount of information to make a decision with.

I really wanted to be the guy that talked out of my ass, was unnecessarily combative and obnoxious, made absurd claims like "my logic is infallible!", presented my opinions as facts, conducted myself as if I had a monopoly on wisdom, and the guy who started threads dedicated to how right I am all the time and everyone else is wrong, but somebody beat me to it. Perhaps you should take your own advice and DON'T BE THAT GUY if you don't like the attention it draws.

Thanks for psychoanalysis too. I'm glad that you won't let something trivial, like a total absence of information, stop you from asserting what is right and what is wrong. I guess if you're going to be ignorant you may as well be confidently ignorant.

Edited by Jauronimo

I'd like to know who decided to delay surgery: he or the Bills' doctors? And if Williams is knocked-out for the year, why didn't he have surgery in training camp?

Achilles clause meant no guaranteed money in 2012. That's why. He was trying to see if he could test it without letting it sideline him.

I'd like to know who decided to delay surgery: he or the Bills' doctors? And if Williams is knocked-out for the year, why didn't he have surgery in training camp?

This medical staff has botched this from their first inadequate exam. If they recommended he wait, they need a new staff.