Now it's the 70s turn - 10 Worst Songs

bbb

We're a fading breed in this century, 70s kids... first songs I ever remember hearing were Summer Breeze by Seals & Crofts and My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder.

I have so many Weird Al albums (Dickie Goodman, Dr. Demento strain) that I can't help but really enjoy that song. :P

I was real lucky. I was born in 1961 so I got to listen to my older sister's music from the 60's and my own from the 70's. It's all gone down hill from there.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your enjoyment:

I never knew there was a video :w00t:

I was real lucky. I was born in 1961 so I got to listen to my older sister's music from the 60's and my own from the 70's. It's all gone down hill from there.

Lucky here because my parents (my father was a depression baby) and grandparents listened to all sorts of music, and so I've gone from Al Jolson and Louis Armstrong to Glenn Miller and Johnny Cash to 50s and 60s rock and beyond. I made the fading breed comment b/c you can rarely get any song on the radio that I grew up with anymore unless it is classic rock.

I love satellite radio, where at least I can relive the past :D

I'm I the only one who thinks that the "Pina Colada" song is the perfect one hit wonder American pop hit? The song is catchy, it tells a simple story, it doesn't try too hard, it was a throw away hit that has never been thrown away, it's intended to be somewhat silly and kitschy, the rhymes are so bad that they're really good. This is as classic American pop as it gets. Everytime this song comes on at a bar, yes people laugh but they still seem to really enjoy it.

I actually think that this one should be considered in the top 10 of the seventies. It truly morphs everything that was bad and good about the 70s into one ridiculously simple love song. Those other 9 songs NEVER get played on the radio, that's absolutely not the case for the "Pina Colada" song. That song got hosed.

Edited by 1billsfan

I never knew there was a video :w00t:

Lucky here because my parents (my father was a depression baby) and grandparents listened to all sorts of music, and so I've gone from Al Jolson and Louis Armstrong to Glenn Miller and Johnny Cash to 50s and 60s rock and beyond. I made the fading breed comment b/c you can rarely get any song on the radio that I grew up with anymore unless it is classic rock.

I love satellite radio, where at least I can relive the past :D

Oh I forgot about all my dad's music. I "stole" all his Dave Brubeck and Amad Jamal albums.

What's one got to do with the other?

In my minde if you compare Skynyrd to Beck with regard to musical boredom I think Skynyrd comes out on top. Don't get me wrong I love Skynyrd but "hey there fellow with the hair colored yellow" is not a very deep lyric.

Oh I forgot about all my dad's music. I "stole" all his Dave Brubeck and Amad Jamal albums.

In my minde if you compare Skynyrd to Beck with regard to musical boredom I think Skynyrd comes out on top. Don't get me wrong I love Skynyrd but "hey there fellow with the hair colored yellow" is not a very deep lyric.

Cherry pick their worst song,sure. It's like saying the Beatles are just "I wanna hold your hand".

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Cherry pick their worst song,sure. It's like saying the Beatles are just "I wanna hold your hand".

Or we could cherry pick their most recognizable song:

Big wheels keep on turning

Carry me home to see my kin

Singing songs about the Southland

I miss Alabamy once again

:wallbash:

I have to vote for #3 You're having my baby - as the worst song of all time. Especially the timing of it. Just when I find out where babies come from I have to hear this thing 5 times a day with my parents. I love when Adam Carolla riffs on how horrible that song is.

Unlike the 80s, none are guilty pleasures of mine

Afternoon delight still makes me cringe

Or we could cherry pick their most recognizable song:

Big wheels keep on turning

Carry me home to see my kin

Singing songs about the Southland

I miss Alabamy once again

:wallbash:

Umm, what? If you have a problem with Sweet Home Alabama, you're either tone deaf or take yourself way too seriously. Like Jim said, one of the best cruising songs ever. I put it up there with Running Down a Dream.

Umm, what? If you have a problem with Sweet Home Alabama, you're either tone deaf or take yourself way too seriously. Like Jim said, one of the best cruising songs ever. I put it up there with Running Down a Dream.

You, sir, have good taste. Running down a Dream is the best cruising song ever, and Sweet Home is right up there.

Maybe this needs it's own thread but this was my favorite cruising song.

Hush by Deep Purple

Admit it, you act like you're playing the organ during the organ solo! I know I do!!! :P

Ventura Highway by America is 70s Top Ten for me cruising, and throw in most Eagles songs.

Admit it, you act like you're playing the organ during the organ solo! I know I do!!! :P

Ventura Highway by America is 70s Top Ten for me cruising, and throw in most Eagles songs.

No I'm a drummer. I've been know to "play" a full set of drums while cruising the freeway at 80mph. :devil:

My problem was with the lyrics. Thought I made that clear. It has nothing to do with tonality or musicality.

Edited by LeviF91