Favorite Movie Composers

CosmicBills

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its not a movie, but Breaking Bad (television show) has an amazing score, and I know the same guy has done them all (and this is def. his first real shot)...cant remember his name and too lazy to open another int. browswer to look...but the guy is good and hopefully gets a crack at some big time movies

the soundtrack to "garden state" is probably my favorite.

Yep, as far as soundtracks go, that one was up there. I think I "discovered" about four new artists from it that I'd never heard of before, but now I have several of each of their CDs in my collection.

EDIT: Whoever did the score for Gladiator gets a huge nod of approval in my book, too...that was some amazing music!

The singer on many of the tracks, Lisa Gerrard, is amazing. And it's not any language, it's vocalizations.

That would be Hans Zimmer for Gladiator. He's a genius. His protigee Steve Jablonsky (TRANSFORMERS) is pretty good too.

Williams is clearly one of the best ever, but I really think Giacchino is going to end up giving him a run for his money by the time his career is 40 years in. His score for UP, STAR TREK, RATATOUILLE (not to mention LOST) alone can rival any of Williams' early stuff. He needs his Indy, Star Wars and Jurrasic Park of course, but I'm confident he'll be around long enough to get his chances.

It's weird... just as I opened this thread, "Moving On" (the final scene music from LOST) came on my playlist. Giacchino is on another level, and doing it with a type of music that many have brushed aside. The LOST compositions were just epic, and along with the story, the emotion in the score really helped drive that show. On a personal note "Moving On" and the scene it recalls really does have the power to center me / "get my mind right" especially in the past several months with a few passings.

Edited by UConn James

Yep, as far as soundtracks go, that one was up there. I think I "discovered" about four new artists from it that I'd never heard of before, but now I have several of each of their CDs in my collection.

same here...plus several songs to learn pretty quickly for guitar. "new slang" and "such great heights" are easy but sound great imo. there's also a classical guitar piece in the movie but not on the soundtrack cd that's awesome but far from easy. some music guru reportedly said the songs on the soundtrack fit together so well that it seems they were always supposed to be on an album and i agree. as far as "discovering" artists, i really liked the frou frou song "let go" but the imogene heap solo stuff i bought in response doesn't get much play on my ipod and frou frou is no more..

For this most recent thing I've been working on, I created a list of the following soundtracks and put 'em on shuffle:

How To Train Your Dragon (John Powell)

The Kingdom (Danny Elfman)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Alexandre Desplat)

Transformers Dark Side of the Moon (Steve Jablonsky)

Black Hawk Down, Inception, Sherlock Holmes (Zimmer)

X-Men First Class (Henry Jackman) -- this was better than I thought it would be

Drive (Various)

I working from home today and I have The Social Network (one of my favorite films from last year) on in the background. Listening to some of the music in this film, it's really amazing how something so simple as a few notes on a piano can add so much to a scene. There's barely anything at all to the composition, but yet it's very memorable to me and I recognize it instantly when I hear it. Music is cool :)

I working from home today and I have The Social Network (one of my favorite films from last year) on in the background. Listening to some of the music in this film, it's really amazing how something so simple as a few notes on a piano can add so much to a scene. There's barely anything at all to the composition, but yet it's very memorable to me and I recognize it instantly when I hear it. Music is cool :)

Absolutely! A sound tech told me once: "when you fly on a plane you can watch the movie for free. But you gotta pay to listen to it".

And he's right.

Absolutely! A sound tech told me once: "when you fly on a plane you can watch the movie for free. But you gotta pay to listen to it".

And he's right.

It's been so long since I've flown on a plane that I almost forgot about how you have to pay like $10 for the headphones lol.

Last of the Mohicans, This Is Spinal Tap.

Trent Reznor is the man. Quite the transition from industrial rocker in NIN to academy award winner for best original score.

Last of the Mohicans, This Is Spinal Tap.

Trent Reznor is the man. Quite the transition from industrial rocker in NIN to academy award winner for best original score.

Wow, I should say so...that's very imprssive. Just another aspect of the film that was excellent!

OK....its gonna make me seem wierd I guess but I will bite.....

Music I like from movies

Last of the Mohicans

Transformers

Gladiator

I dont think there are actually any words in this music.....but for some reason I love it

Then I notice someone else said Last of the Mohicans in front of me.....now I dont feel so wierd..:)

Listening to some of the music in this film, it's really amazing how something so simple as a few notes on a piano can add so much to a scene.

Best example of this I can think of: Kill Bill Vol. 1 has one of the greatest scores I've ever heard, in that it almost perfectly supports the film. To the point that, if you took the score out, it's actually a pretty ****ty movie.

Best example of this I can think of: Kill Bill Vol. 1 has one of the greatest scores I've ever heard, in that it almost perfectly supports the film. To the point that, if you took the score out, it's actually a pretty ****ty movie.

I need to go back and watch them now, cause I don't remember the music at all for some reason...but I'm a huge Tarantino fan, so it's a great excuse to revisit these films. I don't put them up there with Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Bastards, and True Romance, of course, but I admit I enjoyed Kill Bill

EDIT: Tom, seeing your post reminded me of something I wanted to ask you...have you seen the HBO mini-series The Pacific? I saw Band of Brothers and loved it, and was thinking about checking out this follow-up...for some reason I figured you probably saw it?

Edited by ajzepp

I'm in the minority on this one. I thought "The Social Network" was a good movie, albeit a tad overrated, yet the score winning the Oscar just puzzles me.

I was not all that impressed by it, and did not walk away from that movie thinking, "WOW, that movie had an awesome score!"

Just my opinion.