Withdrawal From Iraq By Year End, but is the war over?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-announce-full-troop-drawdown-iraq-164843571.html?sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

What will emerge from the power vacuum created by the withdrawal of American forces in Iraq? Is the new government up to the job, will Iraq descend into civil war as Sunnis and Shi'ites are finally free to have it out, will Iran fill the void and set up shop?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-announce-full-troop-drawdown-iraq-164843571.html?sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

What will emerge from the power vacuum created by the withdrawal of American forces in Iraq? Is the new government up to the job, will Iraq descend into civil war as Sunnis and Shi'ites are finally free to have it out, will Iran fill the void and set up shop?

We cajoled, offered bribery, and moderately threatened to stay but for internal reasons they are making us leave when we said we were going to leave. It may be a mistake for Iraq but it's pretty hard to make an argument that Iraq is a sovereign country with a representative government and then ignore their decision.

We cajoled, offered bribery, and moderately threatened to stay but for internal reasons they are making us leave when we said we were going to leave. It may be a mistake for Iraq but it's pretty hard to make an argument that Iraq is a sovereign country with a representative government and then ignore their decision.

Ok. So where do you think Iraq goes from here, or more appropriately where do they go from January 1, 2012?

Ok. So where do you think Iraq goes from here, or more appropriately where do they go from January 1, 2012?

Probably into sectarian violence and power/resource grabbing with Saudi Arabia and Iran vying for influence and supporting various factions. Also a dash of world wide energy companies doing what they can for a slice of the pie. Further I just remembered the Kurds and their longing to make a greater Krudistan from territory from Iraq, Turkey and Iran- should make for interesting times ahead.

I have zero faith in Iraq's ability to enforce order without US military backing. I'm predicting we will see something resembling Afghanistan except worse due to more population density. Regular terrorist attacks and carnage, followed by retaliation and abuses by Iraqi paramilitary/police leading to pretty much a pitched battle. I expect sectarian violence in cities and towns on the Iranian border like Basra.

The Saudi's main concern is maintaining a buffer zone between themselves and Iran. They're funding the resistance to Iran's puppet Bashar in Syria and supporting Yemen and Bahrain against the Iranian backed Shi'ite rebellions. It follows that the same will happen in Iraq but with more ferocity as each shares a long border with Iraq. Iran has the edge with the Shi'ite majority in Iraq and sentiment towards the Saudis has been low in the region since they allowed the U.S. airspace and bases to stage attacks against Iraq during Desert Storm. The Saudi's have deep pockets though.

I don't expect the Kurds to make a lot of noise unless the new state teeters on collapse, then we may see an attempt to form a Kurdish state. That may draw the ire of the Turks, who are always up for a some good old fashioned ethnic cleansing when they're not organizing freedom flotillas.

One thing is certain, there will be plenty of fireworks and the winner will either be a brutal dictator or an equally brutal Islamic regime in each of these nations. Thank Allah for British colonialism. Without the Brits drawing lines on the map under the "well you all look the f'ing same to me" method, the world would be downright boring.

Edited by Jauronimo

I have zero faith in Iraq's ability to enforce order without US military backing. I'm predicting we will see something resembling Afghanistan except worse due to more population density. Regular terrorist attacks and carnage, followed by retaliation and abuses by Iraqi paramilitary/police leading to pretty much a pitched battle. I expect sectarian violence in cities and towns on the Iranian border like Basra.

The Saudi's main concern is maintaining a buffer zone between themselves and Iran. They're funding the resistance to Iran's puppet Bashar in Syria and supporting Yemen and Bahrain against the Iranian backed Shi'ite rebellions. It follows that the same will happen in Iraq but with more ferocity as each shares a long border with Iraq. Iran has the edge with the Shi'ite majority in Iraq and sentiment towards the Saudis has been low in the region since they allowed the U.S. airspace and bases to stage attacks against Iraq during Desert Storm. The Saudi's have deep pockets though.

I don't expect the Kurds to make a lot of noise unless the new state teeters on collapse, then we may see an attempt to form a Kurdish state. That may draw the ire of the Turks, who are always up for a some good old fashioned ethnic cleansing when they're not organizing freedom flotillas.

One thing is certain, there will be plenty of fireworks and the winner will either be a brutal dictator or an equally brutal Islamic regime in each of these nations. Thank Allah for British colonialism. Without the Brits drawing lines on the map under the "well you all look the f'ing same to me" method, the world would be downright boring.

The world is criminal gangs fighting for power and profit anything else is propaganda and wishful thinking.

Is the war over? Define the objective. I still don't know what the objective was so I can't define "over". Bechtel, Blackwater, Haliburton, Breber, etc all made their billions at taxpayers expense. So it could be over

Is the war over? Define the objective. I still don't know what the objective was so I can't define "over". Bechtel, Blackwater, Haliburton, Breber, etc all made their billions at taxpayers expense. So it could be over

Thank you very little Pete. Apparently you cannot define "prediction" or any of the words in the previous posts as well. No where in that rambling mess of a post was there anything that could have been considered an answer to the question. We are all dumber for having read it. I award you 0 points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Thank you very little Pete. Apparently you cannot define "prediction" or any of the words in the previous posts as well. No where in that rambling mess of a post was there anything that could have been considered an answer to the question. We are all dumber for having read it. I award you 0 points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

so please enlighten me wise one. What was the unilateral Iraq war about? What was the objective. I like to deal with facts and not mudslinging. But if you choose to ignore discussion and insult me go for it

and as far as predictions- I predict we never leave Iraq. The green zone is bigger then Vatican city, very fortified, and has the best hospitals and amenities in Iraq. Eurasia contains 3/4 of the worlds people, vast resources, and will gobble up oil the next 50 years. Unocal has been licking their chops trying to build a pipeline to Eurasia. We will maintain a permanent military base in Iraq to oversee our business interests.

so please enlighten me wise one. What was the unilateral Iraq war about? What was the objective. I like to deal with facts and not mudslinging. But if you choose to ignore discussion and insult me go for it

"Unilateral" Iraq war? What does that mean? Are you suggesting only one side actually fought?

Edited by KD in CT

With the internet there's always news - if you think just what's shown on TV is news then you're right.

Oh, shut the !@#$ up. You get your "information" from the "Turks" and Russia Times youtube videos. Your sources are less diverse and informative than mass media.

Oh, shut the !@#$ up. You get your "information" from the "Turks" and Russia Times youtube videos. Your sources are less diverse and informative than mass media.

Hey don't forget Democracy Now, PressTV, The RealNews, BBC, Bloomberg, and shamefully MSN, plus through PPP I have Dave's Ridicule/Be Afraid of people of color channel, and a diversity of right wing nut jobs, Ayn Rand fanboys, and defenders of corporate fraud and malfeasance , to distill the essence of FOX and other right leaning media for me.

btw I love TYT because Cenk really seems to piss youse guys off.

Hey don't forget Democracy Now, PressTV, The RealNews, BBC, Bloomberg, and shamefully MSN, plus through PPP I have Dave's Ridicule/Be Afraid of people of color channel, and a diversity of right wing nut jobs, Ayn Rand fanboys, and defenders of corporate fraud and malfeasance , to distill the essence of FOX and other right leaning media for me.

btw I love TYT because Cenk really seems to piss youse guys off.

if you have such a low opinion of the rest of us, why do you hang here? Go forth and find others worthy of basking in the glow of your inflated self image <_<

The war is over- you can't be in wartime in perpituity. Iraq will be a stable place due to the instability of other Arab nations around them, but if Saudi Arabia becomes a battleground, things will change.

I don't think Iran has much influence, to be honest... they are so far from the mainstream Arab position that as long as Ahmedinejad is still in power, they will be a joke, like Chavez.

Whatever happens, happens. We can't stay forever. They need to achieve stability, even if it means a little instability first.