Withdrawal From Iraq By Year End, but is the war over?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The war is over- you can't be in wartime in perpituity. Iraq will be a stable place due to the instability of other Arab nations around them, but if Saudi Arabia becomes a battleground, things will change.

I don't think Iran has much influence, to be honest... they are so far from the mainstream Arab position that as long as Ahmedinejad is still in power, they will be a joke, like Chavez.

Wow and............................................WOW. Iran has a ton of influence over there and the guy in the Members Only jacket is on very shaky ground. What makes you think that Iraq would be a stable place because the surrounding countries are unstable? Give us some valid reasons please.

Edited by 3rdnlng

if you have such a low opinion of the rest of us, why do you hang here? Go forth and find others worthy of basking in the glow of your inflated self image <_<

What, you think we should have PPP-right, PPP-left and PPP-center where we can all be in a big circle jerk with people who agree with us, that don't sound like fun at all.

so please enlighten me wise one. What was the unilateral Iraq war about? What was the objective. I like to deal with facts and not mudslinging. But if you choose to ignore discussion and insult me go for it

It appears reading comprehension is not your strong suit so I'll try again in other words. The question is, what will become of Iraq now that US forces are leaving and the new state will be forging their way in a turbulent region with many opposing interests.

I couldn't care less what you think about our involvement in Iraq. I had my fill of that discussion 8 years ago. If you think Saddam was compliant with the terms established after Desert Storm, then that's your prerogative.

Is the war over? Define the objective. I still don't know what the objective was so I can't define "over". Bechtel, Blackwater, Haliburton, Breber, etc all made their billions at taxpayers expense. So it could be over

Wow ..... What an incredibly ignorant post that h

D no substantive vAlue

• 2 weeks later...

Probably into sectarian violence and power/resource grabbing with Saudi Arabia and Iran vying for influence and supporting various factions. Also a dash of world wide energy companies doing what they can for a slice of the pie. Further I just remembered the Kurds and their longing to make a greater Krudistan from territory from Iraq, Turkey and Iran- should make for interesting times ahead.

Aways big oil. :rolleyes: How did you get to work today? Walk?

I have zero faith in Iraq's ability to enforce order without US military backing. I'm predicting we will see something resembling Afghanistan except worse due to more population density. Regular terrorist attacks and carnage, followed by retaliation and abuses by Iraqi paramilitary/police leading to pretty much a pitched battle. I expect sectarian violence in cities and towns on the Iranian border like Basra.

The Saudi's main concern is maintaining a buffer zone between themselves and Iran. They're funding the resistance to Iran's puppet Bashar in Syria and supporting Yemen and Bahrain against the Iranian backed Shi'ite rebellions. It follows that the same will happen in Iraq but with more ferocity as each shares a long border with Iraq. Iran has the edge with the Shi'ite majority in Iraq and sentiment towards the Saudis has been low in the region since they allowed the U.S. airspace and bases to stage attacks against Iraq during Desert Storm. The Saudi's have deep pockets though.

I don't expect the Kurds to make a lot of noise unless the new state teeters on collapse, then we may see an attempt to form a Kurdish state. That may draw the ire of the Turks, who are always up for a some good old fashioned ethnic cleansing when they're not organizing freedom flotillas.

One thing is certain, there will be plenty of fireworks and the winner will either be a brutal dictator or an equally brutal Islamic regime in each of these nations. Thank Allah for British colonialism. Without the Brits drawing lines on the map under the "well you all look the f'ing same to me" method, the world would be downright boring.

you actually are pretty close to the truth here. more so than i think most people understand.

it goes back to the sunni awakening. im from the bills board so i dont know if you guys have hashed that phase of the iraq war. when folks were trying to say it was the surge that turned the battle, that isnt true. all the surge actually did was provide more targets. what we actually did was called the sunni awakening. what that was we went to the very people that were trying to kill us in iraq and paid them **** loads of money to stop shooting at us. here is the issue, this same group was also being paid by saudi. so in essence ... you have a somewhat well trained, because we also trained them to be better fighters, well financed combat group that is just looking for something to attack.

so just like our somewhat creation of al qaeda .... we have done the same exact thing in iraq. when we pull out they are just going to take over. youd think we would have learned our lesson from our very our history.

Edited by Pyssed Doph

you actually are pretty close to the truth here. more so than i think most people understand.

it goes back to the sunni awakening. im from the bills board so i dont know if you guys have hashed that phase of the iraq war. when folks were trying to say it was the surge that turned the battle, that isnt true. all the surge actually did was provide more targets. what we actually did was called the sunni awakening. what that was we went to the very people that were trying to kill us in iraq and paid them **** loads of money to stop shooting at us. here is the issue, this same group was also being paid by saudi. so in essence ... you have a somewhat well trained, because we also trained them to be better fighters, well financed combat group that is just looking for something to attack.

so just like our somewhat creation of al qaeda .... we have done the same exact thing in iraq. when we pull out they are just going to take over. youd think we would have learned our lesson from our very our history.

It's been covered...and largely disbelieved.

Well at least I'm no longer subject to "No end I'm sight" documentaries. I tire of hearing the same narrator for each of em'! Where is the soothing voice of Bobcat Goldthwait or Fran Drescher?

"We cannot police the world" line is getting old. Iraqi's at some point must rule themselves, neither Balfour nor Chamberlain are here to stammer through a speech to right the wrongs.

The "Arab Spring" is inspirational and it's depressing. Inspirational because maybe peace isn't too far off or depressing that younger dictators are likely to take their predecessors footsteps.

Eitherway it's tense, it's on MSNBC and it's going to end exactly the way "we" fear it will. Needless to say I highly doubt Verizon is setting up shop anytime soon...

Well at least I'm no longer subject to "No end I'm sight" documentaries. I tire of hearing the same narrator for each of em'! Where is the soothing voice of Bobcat Goldthwait or Fran Drescher?

I have no idea what you're talking about. You never said a word about what I posted about Arab slave traders,I noticed. Rose colored glasses?

I wasn't responding to you Señor, just making an observation in jest. No harm intended.

I won't pretend to know much about "Arab Slave Trade", if it's anything like Asian "Snakeheaf" slave trade I foresee a Jet LLi/Chris Rock joint on the horizon...

(Obviously a joke at 2AM)

I wasn't responding to you Señor, just making an observation in jest. No harm intended.

I won't pretend to know much about "Arab Slave Trade", if it's anything like Asian "Snakeheaf" slave trade I foresee a Jet LLi/Chris Rock joint on the horizon...

(Obviously a joke at 2AM)

10 PM to me. Think the world caterers to you East coast puppet masters?