Old timers share some Bills stories here

I think one of my greatest memories of early games (other than OJ) involved our getting to see Joe Namath at home once a year. We seemed to play pretty well  against him, but he was a true star and fun to watch.

174987[/snapback]

And if you remeber, he always got a huge ovation on the road. No one rivaled his popularity at that time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Lennon was shot in 1980, the previous season.  I remember that night, it was a game between the Dolphins and Patriots, if memory serves.  I remember it pretty well, because it was one of the last 3 or 4 games of the season, and I was very interested, because the Bills in a pretty tight divisional race with the Patriots.  I was tormented, pulling for Miami, even though I always hated them.  Then, my sister came running down from her bedroom, saying that she had just heard on the radio that John Lennon had been shot.  I didn't believe her.  I was/am a huge Beatles fanatic.  Anyway, within 5 minutes, Cosell said, "I have just been handed some terrible news.  John Lennon, of the musical group the Beatles, has been shot, in Manahatten...."  My mind went blank (some argue it has remained that way ever since!) and I honestly, I don't even remember who won the game.  I just remember staring at the TV, and my face got really hot, and I felt numb.....hard to believe that was 24 years ago......had to get up and deliver the Couriour Express the next morning.  Maybe it was the Buffalo News...can't remember when the Couriour folded.  I delivered them all at one time or another....do kids still deliver newspapers?

174933[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember watching that MNF game with a friend when we had both finished college exams earlier that day. Cosell was upset about it.

The Courier didn't fold until September of '82.

That was my 2nd Bills game. 4 INT's of Joe Namath. 3 were returned for TD's. Safety Tom Janick cut in front of Don Maynard at the goal line and took one back 100 yards. Butch Byrd and Booker Edgerson ran back the others. A great memory of my childhood.

174969[/snapback]

OK, so I am 13 years old at that game....sitting with my grandfather and Dad and two uncles. Janick intercepts it and if I recall it was like 107 yard return. He was our punter too I think, anyways he punts the ball after he scores. We are on the Bills site about I dont know 40 rows up or so (we could never afford those tickets now!) and about even with the backline of the end zone....anyway, the damn football comes right to ME between Boomer and Brownie (Dad and Granddad) and I go home a happy kid.

Also - never forget another punter named Jack Spikes lying there with his legs going up and down convulsing after a late hit (I guess) and he swallowed his tounge...they (Eddie Ambrowski) saved his life on the field

Of course the SanDiego championship game.

And later.....I think OJ was holding out and came back for a Monday nite game vs Miami (?).....anyway sitting with my girlfriend and her family in end zone...I have the aisle seat...guy falls and breaks his ankle right next to me...I go get cops.....aisle gets backed up and a big fight breaks out.....cops and drunk fans.......I was like 16 and all I remember is standing up in my seat and then waking up in the Bills like first aid room.....I guess when I stood up a cop thought I was starting a fight and plunked me with a billyclub....of course all the fans around knew i as the "nice kid" who went and got the cops in the first place...turns out the cop was booted within like 2 months or so due to other police brutality charges....we got like $5000 for whatever....I bought an International Scout - worst vehicle ever made.....anyway a fun Monday nighter

OJ's record breaking year: I was 12 and we had recently moved from Buffalo to Syracuse. I missed home terribly and felt like an outcast in Syracuse. We wore ties to school in Buffalo, they wore jeans here. We said "pop", they said "soda". We rooted for the Bills, they rooted for the Jets, Giants and, gulp, the Dolphins. It was hell.

The Bills were never on TV so I had to follow Simpson's "Rushing Odyssey" by pressing my ear up against my GE Clock Radio where I could just make out the faint whisper of a broadcast through the static. Three and a half hours every Sunday, lying on the floor with the radio on my head. I would do a play by play report to my family during the commercials. As the season went on, how many yards OJ got became more important than the outcome of the game. The big deal was whether or not he was going to get 100 yards. Through the static, I listened to every yard.

That year, my Dad decided to take us to our first Bills game. How he managed to scrape together the money for 8 tickets, I'll never know. They were playing the Bengals late in the season and it was cold, you know what I mean, Buffalo cold. We were in snowmobile suits, bear paw mittens and Bills hats, the ones with the tassles on top. What we wanted most in the world was to see them win and see OJ go for a 100. It was a tight, defensive game that was tied late 13-13. The Bengals broke our hearts with a FG with 3 seconds left to win it 16-13. So much for the win.

As for OJ, he gained 99 yards, 99 yards. So close. In retrospect, it was a fitting introduction to being a serious Bills fan especially over the next 18 years or so.

One more,

Backdrop

I am at college, Slippery Rock PA, played sports and was gone almost every weekend. Way before sat. TV and sports bars anyway. But , being so close to Pittsburgh, we only get the Stillers games.

Fall 1984, finally at school for the weekend . Saturday night a couple of the fellas and me decide to go see MR. Frank Zappa in Pittsburgh. Will not bring up all the details, lets just say had to do some running from the FEDs after the concert due to some substances they wanted to confiscate from me. Running through some shrubs, fell over some trip wire and landed flat on my hands. Woke up the next morning with a purple right arm that was swollen all to hell.

Gotta get the hospital, its killin me, but none all my roomates woulddrive me as the Stillers were playing that day and they had not seen them in a while either. So, off I went with a right arm I coudn't move, through winding, one lane western PA backroads, in a 76 dDodge Colt, shifting and steering with my left hand.

Get to the Hospital, and what do I see on the TV. The defending world champs( I think) Dallas Cowboys playing the one and ten Bills. Sat there in the waiting room watching the whole game. They kept calling me but I kept delaying as we were beatin the snot out of the Cowboys. Greg Bell runnin wild! Woo-Hoo. Defence slamming Dorsett, ah it was great. The nurces thought I was out my head. Sure I was smellin real nice either after the night before. It was only our second win that year, and it was our last, but man it felt like the boys won the super bowl.

Gettin the cast on after the win (broke bone in my elbow) was like a piece of cake after that win.

OK, so I am 13 years old at that game....sitting with my grandfather and Dad and two uncles.  Janick intercepts it and if I recall it was like 107 yard return.  He was our punter too I think, anyways he punts the ball after he scores.  We are on the Bills site about I dont know 40 rows up or so (we could never afford those tickets now!) and about even with the backline of the end zone....anyway, the damn football comes right to ME between Boomer and Brownie (Dad and Granddad) and I go home a happy kid.

Also - never forget another punter named Jack Spikes lying there with his legs going up and down convulsing after a late hit (I guess) and he swallowed his tounge...they (Eddie Ambrowski) saved his life on the field

Of course the SanDiego championship game.

And later.....I think OJ was holding out and came back for a Monday nite game vs Miami (?).....anyway sitting with my girlfriend and her family in end zone...I have the aisle seat...guy falls and breaks his ankle right next to me...I go get cops.....aisle gets  backed up and a big fight breaks out.....cops and drunk fans.......I was like 16 and all I remember is standing up in my seat and then waking up in the Bills like first aid room.....I guess when I stood up a cop thought I was starting a fight and plunked me with a billyclub....of course all the fans around knew i as the "nice kid" who went and got the cops in the first place...turns out the cop was booted within like 2 months or so due to other police brutality charges....we got like $5000 for whatever....I bought an International Scout - worst vehicle ever made.....anyway a fun Monday nighter

175059[/snapback]

Nice memories, but a correction or two:

Tom Janek never punted in a game. Paul Maguire was the Bills' punter in those days.

The return was 102 yards. (Janek, by the way, was a safety picked up in a trade with Denver. I think he replaced Hagood Clarke.)

Jack Spikes was a fullback and kick returner, not a punter. I think he went to Miami in the expansion draft but I'm not sure.

If I could only remember what happened yesterday as well as I can remember this stuff . . .

If I could only remember what happened yesterday as well as I can remember this stuff . . .

175176[/snapback]

This thread made me realize the same thing. How can we remember this stuff, and I have to re-play Bills games Sunday night so I can recall what happened in the afternoon? I'd like to think I'm still a little young for being senile

It was a game at the Ole Rockpile on November 30th, 1969 that I remember most. I was 11 years old. It was OJ's rookie season and the Bills were struggling.

The Bills were playing the Bengals with QB Greg Cook and Sam Wyche backing him up. It was snowing like I have never seen it snow for a Bills game before or since. You could barely make out the players, let alone tell which guy played for which team. I was snow blind after that game!

I remember how long QBs stood looking down field trying to figure out which guy was on their team let alone find one who was open.

The Bills were holding onto a 9-3 lead when Cook went back to pass deep in his own territory (it was his own 10 yard line and our seats were about 40 rows up from the field at like the 15). Cook went back to pass, and he stood back there scanning the field, which by this time had long since lost any indication of yard markers, sidelines or goal lines, for what seemed like at least 10 seconds.

Booker Edgerson was standing to his right, spying him to make sure he didn't run. As Greg turned his attention to his left side, Booker bolted into the backfield towards Cook. I started nudging my dad, who was watching the action (what little you could see) in the secondary; all I could do was point as my Dad focused on the QB just in time to see Edgerson not plow into Cook's blind-side, as I had anticipated. Instead he simply reached up and gently took the ball out of Cook's cocked hand and ran it the ten yards into the solid white end zone. I think he ran the ball past the end-line just to make sure he crossed the goal line because it was buried.

Cook was absolutely confounded as he alternately looked at his empty hand and then in the direction of the running Edgerson. It was the longest delayed TD call I've ever seen, as the Referee did not see Booker take the ball, but only saw Edgerson jumping up and down in the endzone. Edgerson literally had to run over to the referee and explain what he had just done (I think the receivers and DBs were still running around because they couldn't see far enough to know what had happened either. After another (what seemed like) few minutes of conferring, the TD signal was given and the Bills took a commanding (for the conditions) lead of 16-3. The Bills hung on for a 16-13 win. Sam Wyche scored a late TD to make it close.

I was so cold and wet after that game, but I didn't care because I had suffered through the 1968 debacle and most of the 1969 season, and a win felt so good it was unbelievable. I have been to more important games, with much more at stake than on that cold blizzardy day in 1969, but I doubt any will be as memorable as that one.

Anyone remember the Black gentleman with the huge fu manchu mustache that sold peanuts at the main gate on Best St. ? He even moved to Rich stadium for the 1970's. He was ALWAYS there and selling those peanuts wrapped in a square brown bag. 2 for 25 cents. Then 2 for 50 cents. Finally, 2 for $1. He always had a little poem or ode while barking out peanuts for sale. Quite funny and enormously popular. I used to know his name but time has robbed me of that detail.

Man. I can hear him like it was yesterday. :devil:

Anyone remember the Black gentleman with the huge fu manchu mustache that sold peanuts at the main gate on Best St. ? He even moved to Rich stadium for the 1970's. He was ALWAYS there and selling those peanuts wrapped in a square brown bag. 2 for 25 cents. Then 2 for 50 cents. Finally, 2 for $1. He always had a little poem or ode while barking out peanuts for sale. Quite funny and enormously popular. I used to know his name but time has robbed me of that detail.

Man. I can hear him like it was yesterday.  :devil:

175904[/snapback]

Same fellow who used to be in front of the Aud ?

Man. I can hear him like it was yesterday.  :devil:

175904[/snapback]

And he always said over and over:

Get your peanuts here.........Buffalo's Best!

It was a game at the Ole Rockpile on November 30th, 1969 that I remember most.  I was 11 years old.  It was OJ's rookie season and the Bills were struggling.

The Bills were playing the Bengals with QB Greg Cook and Sam Wyche backing him up.  It was snowing like I have never seen it snow for a Bills game before or since.  You could barely make out the players, let alone tell which guy played for which team.  I was snow blind after that game!

I remember how long QBs stood looking down field trying to figure out which guy was on their team let alone find one who was open.

The Bills were holding onto a 9-3 lead when Cook went back to pass deep in his own territory (it was his own 10 yard line and our seats were about 40 rows up from the field at like the 15).  Cook went back to pass, and he stood back there scanning the field, which by this time had long since lost any indication of yard markers, sidelines or goal lines, for what seemed like at least 10 seconds.

Booker Edgerson was standing to his right, spying him to make sure he didn't run.  As Greg turned his attention to his left side, Booker bolted into the backfield towards Cook.  I started nudging my dad, who was watching the action (what little you could see) in the secondary; all I could do was point as my Dad focused on the QB just in time to see Edgerson not plow into Cook's blind-side, as I had anticipated.  Instead he simply reached up and gently took the ball out of Cook's cocked hand and ran it the ten yards into the solid white end zone.  I think he ran the ball past the end-line just to make sure he crossed the goal line because it was buried.

Cook was absolutely confounded as he alternately looked at his empty hand and then in the direction of the running Edgerson.  It was the longest delayed TD call I've ever seen, as the Referee did not see Booker take the ball, but only saw Edgerson jumping up and down in the endzone.  Edgerson literally had to run over to the referee and explain what he had just done (I think the receivers and DBs were still running around because they couldn't see far enough to know what had happened either.  After another (what seemed like) few minutes of conferring, the TD signal was given and the Bills took a commanding (for the conditions) lead of 16-3.  The Bills hung on for a 16-13 win.  Sam Wyche scored a late TD to make it close.

I was so cold and wet after that game, but I didn't care because I had suffered through the 1968 debacle and most of the 1969 season, and a win felt so good it was unbelievable.  I have been to more important games, with much more at stake than on that cold blizzardy day in 1969, but I doubt any will be as memorable as that one.

175789[/snapback]

That was the game where the snow fell off the roof at the old Rockpile on top of all the fans sitting in the good seats. For someone sitting in the uncovered end zone, it was pretty funny.

September 7, 1986

Scoring

Bills - Kelly to Greg Bell - 1 yd TD

NY - Tony Paige 2-YD run  (after a muffed punt by Walter Broughton  (?)

NY - Toon - 46 yard pass from O'Brien

Bills - 19 yard FG (Norwood)

Bills - Reed - 55 yds from kelly

NY - Johnny Hector - 1 yard run

NY - Wesley Walker - 71 yards

Bills - Metzelaars - 4 yards

Jets 28 - Bills 24

Kelly - 20 of 33 for 292

O'Brien - 18 of 25 for 287

Sellout - 79,951

The Bills defense had held the Jets to 14 yards and

one first down in the third quarter

174906[/snapback]

Thanks for the help. Great game.

In 1991 my father myself and our cross-border gang of season ticket holders would drive every Sunday to all home games to see the Bills at (Rich Stadium). My father, only 56 years young had stomach cancer and was in such pain during (AFC CHAMP GAME)  the 53-3 stopping of the Raiders, he had to sit in the parking lot and watch the game with some tail gaters on a small TV in his Van. 2 Days before the" wide right bowl game in Tampa " my Dad was hospitalized. The medication was so mind controlling, he did not know what was going on and did not see the SB game. On the Monday after the game I could not tell him the results, I just said to him, they did it !  He passed on February 2nd 1991 knowing his beloved Bills won the SB. So now here we are today ( 3 additional trips to SB) and I still need a Bills SB to give to my father. I hope he will forgive me

174004[/snapback]

That is the best story of this string. Take solace, your Dad is the only one who experienced a Super Bowl win. Quite a gift.

Being only 23 years old, I'd like to hear more about the Bills teams of the past that I - and many others here - never experienced.

Hey, just trying to please BillsNYC... We've discussed playoff scenarios, Drew Bledsoe, Travis Henry trades, Tom Donahoe, ICE, and cowbell to death around here. Time for a change!

173542[/snapback]

My first Bills game was a preseason game in 1978 or 1979. Easy ticket. My grandfather took me and I remember Reuben Gant scoring a TD. We left around the third quarter -- about the time all the guys came in who would be cooking dogs at Ted's next week after they were cut.

Until 2001, when we lost to Pittsburgh at home, I had never seen the Bills lose at Rich/RWS (I was 9-0), and there were some memorable ones -- beating the Jets to clinch the AFC East in 1993, beating Dallas in 1996 as a bit of revenge for the two SB losses, beating the Fish in 1995 to clinch the AFC East (has it really been nearly a decade since we won the division?), but the one that stands out most is the 1991 AFC title game against Denver.

I was in the opposite end zone of the one Carlton Bailey scored off an Elway interception that was tipped by Jeff Wright ... and saw it all develop and realized what was going on about a split-second before everyone else in my part of the stadium. The world kinda slowed down there ... as it seemed like for that split-second, everyone was looking at me wondering what I was screaming about. Of course, all of that was short-lived, and soon everyone in Rich was going absolutely bonkers.

I've been an avid fan for nearly 30 years, and outside of my immediate family, the Bills have been a part of my existence more than anything else out there. Trying to pick out specific memories ... there are simply too many. I hope this gives you a good taste of what things were like then.

This thread made me realize the same thing.  How can we remember this stuff, and I have to re-play Bills games Sunday night so I can recall what happened in the afternoon?  I'd like to think I'm still a little young for being senile

175746[/snapback]

:lol::angry::lol:

that was pretty funny.