Carson Palmer to Raiders

judman

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof is in the pudding If they make the playoffs with him, its a good deal. The Drew Bledsoe deal would have been a great deal if he got us to the playoffs. Is a starting quarterback who will take your team to the next level worth Mike Williams and Erik Flowers and John McCargo? I kind of think so.

Given where the Raiders were as a real contender for the division title, and given that Kyle Boller (a former first round pick?) was the back up, and given that their strength is by far an extremely strong running game, the move makes a lot of sense. The passing game plan will be modified and simplified, the running game will be put on supercharge and the Raiders will pick up as a contender.

The alternative would be the old buffalo bills strategy I've heard from many on the board...curl up into a fetal position and talk about drafting Andrew Luck.

So does Carson start this week or do you take advantage of the bye week and get em in there with 2 weeks of preparation. At least this trade has me interested in the Bengals. I would love to see this blow up in their face. As Bills fans we must.

wait til AFTER the bye week....

#1- would make a mockery of your backup QB

#2- give him a little time to learn the playbook and come out strong.

+1...Cinci just robbed the Raiders!

a 1st round draft pick is a salary slot of $4-5 mil on an unproven player.

raiders can fill those salary spots with proven talent.....THEY LOST NOTHING and gained a proven starting caliber NFL QB.

BOTH teams made out good.

So does Carson start this week or do you take advantage of the bye week and get em in there with 2 weeks of preparation. At least this trade has me interested in the Bengals. I would love to see this blow up in their face. As Bills fans we must.

Of course they start him this week. He's not a rookie.

Even if the Bengals got two 3rd round picks for him, it would be a win for them. Palmer was never going back to them.

Did the Raiders pay too much...maybe, but it is not the horrible move some are making it out to be. IF Palmer goes there and plays well for the next few years the trade is a win win...I believe he is under contract until 2014.

I don't know why this reminded me...remember when Vince Ferragamo got traded to the Bills, just prior to the magnificent 1985 season? He had trouble remembering the playbook, so, for the first time I recall (common now) the Bills wanted him to wear a wrist-band/playbook, to help remember the plays. He was incensed and insulted, because he was a Super Bowl QB...he did great his first game, when the team just aired it out...but after getting his ass kicked a few weeks in a row, he gave in and wore the wrist-band...then was traded to the Packers a week or two later. At that time, Green Bay was one of the few places in the league less desireable than Buffalo, to play NFL football. I remember him playing on a MNF game a few weeks later, for the Packers, and he got his ass kicked all over the field again...and he was wearging the Packers playbook on his wrist... :lol:

looks like you are right.....

Newly acquired Oakland Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer, who hasn't played or practiced since last season, is expected to start Sunday's game against Kansas City, a team official told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7122918/oakland-raiders-carson-palmer-start-week-7-source-says

The coach is not a fool. Carson will pass sparingly and the already run happy Raiders will be even more so in the Kansas City game. Watch the use of two tight ends and maybe a more frequent use of a blocking back to give CP some stability. There are a lot of things you can do to minimize reliance on CP for the first game to get him ready for his "week 2" when he has a lot more practice and playbook analysis under him.

a 1st round draft pick is a salary slot of $4-5 mil on an unproven player.

raiders can fill those salary spots with proven talent.....THEY LOST NOTHING and gained a proven starting caliber NFL QB.

Only the top 4 or 5 picks command that salary with the current rookie scale wage. Middle first round picks get around $2 mil a year. Actually, due to the new wage scale, first round picks have never before been this valuable.

It's funny when people cherrypick terrible Bills 1st rounders (Mike Williams, Erik Flowers, John McCargo) then argue that by ditching a #1 pick a team "loses nothing". Hey, I can cherrypick too, how about Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Peyton Manning, Barry Sanders, and Jim Brown? Bunch of busts, huh?

It's been over 15 years since free agency was reworked, and nearly every GM in the league has figured out (it took some longer then others) how valuable draft picks are in order to sustain a winning team. Most analysts and a few GM's had Palmer going for a 3rd round pick - maybe, maybe a 2nd rounder. Raiders panicked and got fleeced.

Proof is in the pudding If they make the playoffs with him, its a good deal. The Drew Bledsoe deal would have been a great deal if he got us to the playoffs. Is a starting quarterback who will take your team to the next level worth Mike Williams and Erik Flowers and John McCargo? I kind of think so.

Given where the Raiders were as a real contender for the division title, and given that Kyle Boller (a former first round pick?) was the back up, and given that their strength is by far an extremely strong running game, the move makes a lot of sense. The passing game plan will be modified and simplified, the running game will be put on supercharge and the Raiders will pick up as a contender.

The alternative would be the old buffalo bills strategy I've heard from many on the board...curl up into a fetal position and talk about drafting Andrew Luck.

It's been said that to succeed in any endeavor, you should set your sights on your ultimate goal, and judge each of your individual actions by whether it moves you closer to that goal. The question which needs to be asked is, should the Raiders' ultimate goal be merely to make the playoffs? Or should their ultimate goal be to win the Super Bowl?

If the ultimate goal is merely to make the playoffs, then your conclusion is spot-on. But if their ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, then making the playoffs this year is irrelevant.

You could argue that their making the playoffs this year becomes relevant if this year's Raiders team, with Carson Palmer at quarterback, has a realistic chance to win the Super Bowl. Frankly, I don't think it does.

Might the addition of Palmer be a step toward a Super Bowl win at some point in the future? For example, a good record this season might help attract free agents who want to play for a contender. To me, it's a very risky gamble to hope that the value of the free agents thus acquired will outweigh the loss of those two first round picks. The absolute last thing any NFL team should do is to adopt the mentality of this guy. I don't care how cool a song it is!

Back in 1997, the Colts took a big step toward winning the Super Bowl by going 1-15. Doing so allowed them to draft Peyton Manning. The trade for Palmer seems like the exact opposite of that. It will likely improve Oakland's fortunes over the short-term, while substantially reducing its long run probability of hoisting a Lombardi Trophy.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

just as i suspected....Palmer is now "doubtful" to start this sunday...

"I'm 95 percent sure he is not going to play," one source close to the situation said Friday afternoon. "Practicing Wednesday and Thursday, he felt he's not ready to make those high-velocity throws yet. Maybe they could decide something at the last minute, but I don't think he's going to play."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7131706/carson-palmer-oakland-raiders-unlikely-play-sunday-all-source-says

it makes way more sense to let him start after the bye week.

Edited by papazoid

i thought giving up a first and a conditional pick which i assumed was a mid round pick at best was a lot...that is way too much for a guy that really hasnt had a good year in a few years

I'm not a huge Palmer fan but in 2010 he had 4k yards passing, 61.8% completions with 26 TD's and 20 int's. That seems pretty good wouldn't you say?

I'm not a huge Palmer fan but in 2010 he had 4k yards passing, 61.8% completions with 26 TD's and 20 int's. That seems pretty good wouldn't you say?

only 6.8 yards per attempt though. i'm very skeptical of palmer. i think this trade is drew bledsoe part II, but we'll see

It depends on how much value you see in a first round pick. Also, I can see the Raiders getting a 2nd round pick for Jason Campbell. So ultimately they are getting a proven veteran QB who might still play at a franchise QB level for a first round pick, unless they make it to the AFC championship - it which case the trade of 2 first rounders would clearly be justified.

I don't think it's really that bad of a deal for the Raiders.

It depends on how much value you see in a first round pick. Also, I can see the Raiders getting a 2nd round pick for Jason Campbell. So ultimately they are getting a proven veteran QB who might still play at a franchise QB level for a first round pick, unless they make it to the AFC championship - it which case the trade of 2 first rounders would clearly be justified.

I don't think it's really that bad of a deal for the Raiders.

I wonder what they will get for Campbell if he never takes another snap for Oakland. His stock will drop pretty fast.

Basically, the deal will be good if Palmer regains his old form. It is a gamble, because the Raiders have poisoned the well with Campbell.

Did the Raidahs even bring Palmer in for a workout before he was traded? I'm not even sure if this is within the rules, considering Carson wasn't an UFA. All I heard was that he was happy when he found out he was going to Oakland. If the Raidahs did not, or weren't able to inspect the goods before acquiring him, then shame on them for burning a 1st and a 2nd for a soon to be 32 year old QB (they're not going to the playoffs). I know Palmer doesn't know the offensive system, but his arm strength left much to be desired.

Edited by JayBaller10