Carson Palmer to Raiders

judman

i'm going the other way....

THIS IS A GREAT DEAL FOR BOTH SIDES.....

Oakland gets a proven franchise QB who had to throw to three washed up prima donna's in Ochostinko, T.O. and T. J. who's your mamma.

Cincinnati gets two #1's that may or may not work out for a player that was never gonna play for them again.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oakland also should've asked themselves this question: Is this team good enough to win the Superbowl right now? That answer is of course "no". You don't trade away premium picks for old guys ESPECIALLY when you're not in a position to win the Superbowl that season.

Carson Palmer is a good player- but for 2 1st rounders? You have gotta be kidding me.

If he plays well, it's a great trade for the Raiders. A franchise QB is easily worth two late first rounders (late because we're assuming for a second that Palmer plays well). Today's NFL is all about the QB, and the Raiders are reasonably stacked on both sides of the ball already.

If he plays well, it's a great trade for the Raiders. A franchise QB is easily worth two late first rounders (late because we're assuming for a second that Palmer plays well). Today's NFL is all about the QB, and the Raiders are reasonably stacked on both sides of the ball already.

The guy is on the wrong side of 30...

And if I played like a franchise QB, I'd be worth two first rounders, too. Those are huge ifs though.

Yes it's a lot to pay, but the NFL is a win-now league and Oakland has a good chance to win their division. They simply can't tank a promising season.

To paraphrase Warden Norton, the Raiders need a QB. Not tomorrow, not after breakfast, now.

And if I played like a franchise QB, I'd be worth two first rounders, too. Those are huge ifs though.

Palmer-led Bengals teams made the playoffs twice, which is more than be said for either the Bills in the last 11 years or the Bengals in the 12 years prior to Palmer's arrival. He's a good player - good size, big arm, and knows how to play. The Raiders have obviously had success with these sorts of castoff players (Plunkett, Gannon, Hostetler, Lamonica). It's a core part of their tradition. I'm guessing Al Davis is smiling right now.

Also, Palmer has a lifetime QB rating of 87 and threw for just about 4000 yards last year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PalmCa00.htm .

Edited by dave mcbride

Reminds me of the Herschel Walker trade.....

Bringing in a new QB at mid season who hasn't taken a snap since last season, asking him to learn a new system in a couple of weeks, probably while he's on the field, against defenses that are going to throw every blitz package they can at him?

I hope he's been working out......

Yes it's a lot to pay, but the NFL is a win-now league and Oakland has a good chance to win their division. They simply can't tank a promising season.

To paraphrase Warden Norton, the Raiders need a QB. Not tomorrow, not after breakfast, now.

Excellent comment. Very true.

Carson Palmer was a franchise QB in 2005, back then it would have been a good trade. But two 1st rounders for a guy who will be 32 this year with a surgically repaired knee and elbow problems? :lol:

I know he threw a bunch of picks last year on what was a dysfunctional team, but his arm looked good.

lol at the Raiders

this is the worst trade in nfl history.

I think the Herschel Walker deal was worse, but I agree this is still a very bad trade for the Raiders! You don't give up two firsts, or a first and a second, for a guy as old as Carson Palmer!

Carson Palmer was chosen first overall back in 2001. Now they're getting a very nice price for trading him away! Bearing this in mind, I decided to take a look at the value the Bills have received from their former first round picks.

2000: Erik Flowers. Result: released

2001: Nate Clements. Result: first contract and out

2002: Mike Williams. Result: released after a few years.

2003a: Drew Bledsoe. Result: released after three years

2003b: Willis McGahee. Result: traded away for two third rounders and a seventh round pick.

2004a: Lee Evans. Result: traded away for a fourth rounder. Was with the team seven years.

2004b: JP Losman. Result: released after a few years with the team.

2006a: Donte Whitner. Result: first contract and out

2006b: John McCargo. Result: released after a few years with the team

2007: Marshawn Lynch. Result: traded away for fourth and sixth round picks.

At least based on trade value, Carson Palmer is worth more than all ten of those guys put together. And by a very wide margin, too! I attribute this to several factors:

1) The Raiders are overpaying for Palmer. He's old, and his play has declined.

2) The Bills have not received fair compensation for some of their departing players (like Clements).

3) There are quite a few busts on the above list of Bills' first round picks.

4) In the past, the Bills have focused their draft day resources on the wrong positions. In 2006, they could have used the eighth overall pick on Jay Cutler. Cutler was recently traded away for two first round picks; because good QBs are very valuable. Instead, the Bills squandered the eighth overall pick on a SS. Based on the contract Whitner ultimately signed, the Bills would have gotten almost nothing for him had they traded him away a year early. Likewise, the fourth and sixth round picks obtained by trading away Lynch demonstrate the relatively low value attributed to a standard-issue starting RB.

The Palmer trade illustrates the benefit of picking a good player at a premium position like quarterback. (As opposed to the Bills' drafting strategy under the TD/Levy eras, which was to use first round picks on mediocre players at non-premium positions.)

Edited by Edwards' Arm