CJ at WR

1B4IDie

Since the moment CJ Spiller was drafted the talk of converting him to a WR has been a constant theme.

Well on Sunday, it sure looked like CJ was our 4th WR. He didn't line up in the backfield and motion out, he just lined up as a WR from the start of many plays on Sundays.

Now that you finally get what you want, you don't want it anymore?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he has to be pressed into service considering the state of our WR corp. I like they are getting him the ball more, but I would've liked to have seen him run the ball on a reverse. They were setting it up out of the pistol O with him motioning and faking the reverse. It was set up nicely because that formation was producing large chunks of yardage.

He has sure hands and defenses have to respect his speed, that is why he was so open on those curls or comeback routes. He is a dangerous player.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Spiller to run that end around and scoring a long TD.

Spiller would line up wide to the right on a 3WR set, he would motion back inside and while Fitz hands the ball to Freddy he fakes the end around. We ran it twice and on both plays the defense keyed strictly on Freddy. I was hoping Chan could run the play one more time giving the ball to Spiller, I'm sure he would have scored.

Since the moment CJ Spiller was drafted the talk of converting him to a WR has been a constant theme.

Well on Sunday, it sure looked like CJ was our 4th WR. He didn't line up in the backfield and motion out, he just lined up as a WR from the start of many plays on Sundays.

Now that you finally get what you want, you don't want it anymore?

Who is complaining? Besides, whenever Spiller gets the ball it is like watching Dancing With the Stars. Seems like he can never make up his mind, whether it be a punt return, a reception or a running play, he dances around instead of using is awesome speed and taking off.

I was super psyched when I realized Spiller was playing straight up WR yesterday. I can't imagine who wouldn't be.

I thought it was a good idea also. He can't block in the backfield, and he dances all day before he gets to the line of scrimmage, so why not use his blazing speed outside? Only problem was he danced with the ball on receptions too.

I thought it was a good idea also. He can't block in the backfield, and he dances all day before he gets to the line of scrimmage, so why not use his blazing speed outside? Only problem was he danced with the ball on receptions too.

Dude danced his way to a 7+ypc average so far this year....

he hasnt got much of a chance, cuz Freddy has been so amazing....

I like the idea of putting CJ at wr. Get him the ball a little more in space and maybe let him go long and we'll see if we dont just have another good WR. I actually think this would be a better position for him. I just havent really seen him make the first guy miss like a starting RB would(see FJ). Id like to see get one of those quick WR screens and see if he can take it to the house.

I was super psyched when I realized Spiller was playing straight up WR yesterday. I can't imagine who wouldn't be.

I like him as a WR. Creates huge matchup problems. When Rosco finally returns (next year :() there will be even more matchup problems. No LB can cover him, and do you put a CB on him, or Jones, or Nelson (who no LB can cover) or Roosevelt, etc. Or Lloyd or Wayne (one of whom we hopefully get in a trade so we can use our picks to draft other positions).

With spiller at wr it tells me there will be no lloyd or wayne trades......we need a pass rusher on this team!

I'm not expecting a trade for Lloyd, Wayne, or anyone else but I don't think where Spiller lined up yesterday has any specific bearing on future roster plans. They needed to win the game and they used their available personnel creatively. We could just as easily say that the lack of a deep threat against the Giants is a sign the Bills are probably interested in bringing in a field stretching WR and lining CJ up as a WR was a move made out of desperation.

Edited by Punch

Having CJ be able to lineup at WR or RB creates tons of matchup problems for the defense.

If the personnel in the huddle is FJ, CJ, Chandler, Nelson and Stevie. What does the defense send out? Their base formation... then the Bills spread the field and have LB's on FJ and CJ. Or do they send out nickel, and then we have 5 OL and a TE blocking their 6 non-secondary players. This is why Spiller is going to be so valuable once he gets everything down. Give the kid time... he is plays tons better than last year

And that doesn't even touch on the possibilities of having Brad Smith in the huddle instead of Nelson.... this is why our offense is so tough to prepare for. Imagine if Jones was healthy then it is Jones, Nelson, SJ, FJ, and CJ. B/c Nelson is used so much as a TE/WR hybrid it really becomes difficult b/c he is so good in the passing game.

He has sure hands and defenses have to respect his speed, that is why he was so open on those curls or comeback routes. He is a dangerous player.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Spiller to run that end around and scoring a long TD.

Spiller would line up wide to the right on a 3WR set, he would motion back inside and while Fitz hands the ball to Freddy he fakes the end around. We ran it twice and on both plays the defense keyed strictly on Freddy. I was hoping Chan could run the play one more time giving the ball to Spiller, I'm sure he would have scored.

Watch the first time we ran the fake end around after Jackson's long TD run ... I would wager that Spiller would have taken it untouched the whole way if they faked it to Jackson and gave it to CJ ... it was wide open.