The Call

Simon

It's not a mistake when Fitz under throws or flares a deep pass. He just shouldn't be attempting most deep balls because he obviously doesn't have the arm for it. He's shown this time and again. If he plays within his abilities, and the coaches encourage this with their play calling, Fitz is fine and we're probably fine as well (on the offensive side of the ball).

Not sure what you're saying, Allan.

The ball was on the 27 yard line so this wasn't a deep pass.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a mistake when Fitz under throws or flares a deep pass. He just shouldn't be attempting most deep balls because he obviously doesn't have the arm for it. He's shown this time and again. If he plays within his abilities, and the coaches encourage this with their play calling, Fitz is fine and we're probably fine as well (on the offensive side of the ball).

Where are you getting this from? These were not deep balls for god's sake. They were 25 yd passes that he should have put more air under or thrown sooner. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with arm strength.

Well covered what game were you watching? Stevie had two steps on the guy it was a horrible throw!!!!!!

On a slightly different note, Johnson does seem to have great footwork. After 6 weeks, if I'm looking to extend either Fitzy or Johnson, it's Johnson and it's not even close.

Aside from FJax 80 yard run, he had 15 carries for 41 yards. That's 2.7 ypc. How can people so confidently say that we could have easily ran the ball and run out the clock? And how much clock do you expect to burn being just outside the red zone? Especially since the Giants still had 2 time outs remaining.

You run the ball in a tie game when u are in FG range with under 5 mins left to at worst run some clock

Gailey just doesn't like to run the ball

Or just throw a relatively easy pass down the sideline ahead of your WR...

It's easy to go all "what if" but the bottom line is, Gailey was going for the win. I can live w/ that and especially knowing that the play wasn't a bad read by Fitzy, it was just a poorly thrown ball. We'll get that one next time.

I understand going for the win when you have the ball outside of field goal range and your down by a couple and there is like .30 secs to go.

But right there you run clock kick the FG and give the Giants as little time to work with as possible. It really is that easy!

I haven't read any other posts today... just letting out some frustration.

RUN THE BALL WHEN YOU ARE IN SCORING POSITION WITH 4 MINUTES LEFT. :

I will take a coach who will try to score TD's and score as many points as possible every time. We had one on one coverage against Stevie on a route where he had already beaten his man earlier in the game. It was a great play call. Sure enough Stevie beat his man again. Fitz just under threw it.

We could have ran the ball 3 times and kicked a field goal. In my opinion with our secondary that's giving the Giants a perfect opportunity to win.

I understand going for the win when you have the ball outside of field goal range and your down by a couple and there is like .30 secs to go.

But right there you run clock kick the FG and give the Giants as little time to work with as possible. It really is that easy!

That is complete, 100%, Dick Jauron football. If you don't see the problems with it I'm not sure what to tell you.

No, with 4 minutes left you don't run clock and settle for a 45 yard field goal.

And what would be the argument when the Giants have 1min 45sec and 2 timeouts left and win the game? I understand this is all revisionist BS at this point, but kicking a 40+ yd FG isn't easy either. We'd all be crying about the fact that "Chan didn't get aggressive enough and he should have known our defense couldn't stop them if they got the ball back" if they ended up scoring a TD.

And if we made the throw, he'd be a genius. We can't run and screen all the time. We took a shot. It didn't work. We lost a close game.

Nope! As soon as Fitz didn't hand it off to Fred I screamed WTF! Then he threw it and then I really went WTF!

So no I didn't think that. Had he run time, kicked a FG, and escaped NY with a W, would have impressed me more than "gambling and losing". It would have shown me he can make the right calls at crunch time on the road in a tie game.

And as I'm saying, I had to watch 4 years of Jauron Ball and if we'd have gone conservative and lost as a result, Gailey would have been roasted.

I prefer (at least right now) to see my team go down firing all bullets.

I think the conservative approach is defeatist and after Jauron, I've had enough of watching the Bills play that way.

Dude...The Jauron days are WAY long gone...Who gives a crap about what Dead Dick did?...He was a brutal Coach...it's over (thank God)...And The Bills are trying to become a Playoff Team...It's different now...There was no reason to go down firing with all bullets...There was no reason to lose this game at all really...

Gailey is clearly a good HC...I'm not frying the guy overall...I really like Gailey...But a HC is going to be judged by decisions like this and Game Management...And look...I'm not calling for 3 runs up the middle or anything like that whatsoever...If Gailey wants to throw 3 times there fine...But play to Fitz's strengths...That's all I'm saying...And that throw is CLEARLY not Fitz's strength...Everybody knows it...And for me that's why that Call, at that time, was way too much risk...Gailey just showed too much confidence in Fitz's arm and it cost The Bills the Game...Believe me he's not going to do it again no matter what he says...There's no reason to do it again...The Bills have already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt they can move the Ball in other, FAR safer ways... B-)

You mean field goal attempt.

:)

Thanks, that is actually a very important correction that I think everyone arguing against the call should take into consideration. So many arguments seem to treat the scenario like it was first and goal inside the 10.

Nope! As soon as Fitz didn't hand it off to Fred I screamed WTF! Then he threw it and then I really went WTF!

So no I didn't think that. Had he run time, kicked a FG, and escaped NY with a W, would have impressed me more than "gambling and losing". It would have shown me he can make the right calls at crunch time on the road in a tie game.

LMAO!! I said the same thing!

You run the ball in a tie game when u are in FG range with under 5 mins left to at worst run some clock

Gailey just doesn't like to run the ball

30 pass attempts, 23 rushes. Pretty balanced.

And last week, 35 rushes 27 passes.

Gailey likes to run the ball just fine.

Edited by stony

I haven't read any other posts today... just letting out some frustration.

RUN THE BALL WHEN YOU ARE IN SCORING POSITION WITH 4 MINUTES LEFT. :wallbash:

Why is that Gailey's fault? Don't teams typically break the huddle with a run/pass option? Fitz read the defense and called the play, he even could have audibled to a run if he felt the pass wouldn't work. The same ballsy stuff that fans say they love when it works can come back and bite you at some point. Maybe that's one of them. Also, Fitz threw a bad pass.

Why is that Gailey's fault? Don't teams typically break the huddle with a run/pass option? Fitz read the defense and called the play, he even could have audibled to a run if he felt the pass wouldn't work. The same ballsy stuff that fans say they love when it works can come back and bite you at some point. Maybe that's one of them. Also, Fitz threw a bad pass.

Agreed.

Live by the sword, die by it. Fitz could just as easily lost the KC and Raiders games by making similar "throw it into coverage and see if the receiver can make a play" throws, but then the second guessing rarely makes an appearence after wins...

Agreed.

Live by the sword, die by it. Fitz could just as easily lost the KC and Raiders games by making similar "throw it into coverage and see if the receiver can make a play" throws, but then the second guessing rarely makes an appearence after wins...

Yes.

A successful play is almost never second guessed.

An unsuccessful play is often second guessed.

Dude...The Jauron days are WAY long gone...Who gives a crap about what Dead Dick did?...He was a brutal Coach...it's over (thank God)...And The Bills are trying to become a Playoff Team...It's different now...There was no reason to go down firing with all bullets...There was no reason to lose this game at all really...

Gailey is clearly a good HC...I'm not frying the guy overall...I really like Gailey...But a HC is going to be judged by decisions like this and Game Management...And look...I'm not calling for 3 runs up the middle or anything like that whatsoever...If Gailey wants to throw 3 times there fine...But play to Fitz's strengths...That's all I'm saying...And that throw is CLEARLY not Fitz's strength...Everybody knows it...And for me that's why that Call, at that time, was way too much risk...Gailey just showed too much confidence in Fitz's arm and it cost The Bills the Game...Believe me he's not going to do it again no matter what he says...There's no reason to do it again...The Bills have already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt they can move the Ball in other, FAR safer ways... B-)

I fall on this side of the argument. The call was risky simply because of Fitz's high likelihood of making such mistakes. If Gailey had, say a Matt Ryan or BenR, he will make that call everytime (I exaggerate ofcourse). But, he trusted Fitz at the wrong time and Fitz came up short.

Agreed.

I agree too. Gailey took a gamble, and sometimes is works, sometimes it doesn;t If Fitz had thrown a completion, that would lead to a touchdown, we would be celebrating Gailey, not cursing him.

I agree too. Gailey took a gamble, and sometimes is works, sometimes it doesn;t If Fitz had thrown a completion, that would lead to a touchdown, we would be celebrating Gailey, not cursing him.

No we wouldn't have. Had that been completed for a TD the Giants still would have had 4 minutes, 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning to score a TD and tie the game.

I dunno, what's the smarter move? Run clock and kick a FG or score a TD with 4 minutes left. I'm thinking most coaches are running the clock and kicking the FG, and escaping NY with a W on a day when the team didn't play really well.

No we wouldn't have. Had that been completed for a TD the Giants still would have had 4 minutes, 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning to score a TD and tie the game.

I dunno, what's the smarter move? Run clock and kick a FG or score a TD with 4 minutes left. I'm thinking most coaches are running the clock and kicking the FG, and escaping NY with a W on a day when the team didn't play really well.

So your completely dismissing the notion that had we passed,we might have had a great chance to win? Talk about pessimistic.

So your completely dismissing the notion that had we passed,we might have had a great chance to win? Talk about pessimistic.

Nope not at all. Had it worked, great. Still would have given the Giants 4 minutes to score. I don't like the Bills chances asking the defense to win a game.

Frankly you can't take passes out of the playbook there. It boggles my mind that the two most heated points on this board currently are arguments that fitz is the answer but shouldn't be allowed to throw that pass.....

Edited by NoSaint

Frankly you can't take passes out of the playbook there. It boggles my mind that the two most heated points on this board currently are arguments that fitz is the answer but shouldn't be allowed to throw with 4 mins or less left.....

Get a clue!, You don't throw it right there. What is so hard to comprehend about that.

The same exact scenario except the score is 24-21 Giants what do you do? Still throw?

The same exact scenario except the score is 24-21 Bills what do you do? Still throw?

Since the defense can't ever stop anything is it really a smart move to try and trust the defense to win a game? I don't!

Get a clue!, You don't throw it right there. What is so hard to comprehend about that.

The same exact scenario except the score is 24-21 Giants what do you do? Still throw?

The same exact scenario except the score is 24-21 Bills what do you do? Still throw?

Since the defense can't ever stop anything is it really a smart move to try and trust the defense to win a game? I don't!

Fitz disagrees with you.

Yes.

Yes.

I'd rather trust the D with a 7 point lead and 4 minutes than a 3 point lead and 2 minutes.

Yea- keep the defense honest. You get the td there and the worst the d can do is give a tie. You concede that it's 3 runs and you are almost always going to be stopped and kicking a fg. You must be able to make that call. Not everytime, but sometimes. Getting a fg shot with 2 mins left isn't better than a td with 4.

Fitz threw an awful ball. It happens. You must be able to make that call sometimes if you want to win consistently.

You may be right, I was thinking at the time we should give the ball to Freddo . . . BUT . . . I have had a bellyfull of conservative playcalling that wins us just enough games to get 7-9 year after year, with no hope of the playoffs . . . I like a little overaggressiveness and am willing to live with the occasional interception or blown up play. I see no sense in bemoaning 4-2 going into the buy.

It's always our QBs that make mistakes. No other QB in the league makes a mistake. Ugh. We have all the bad luck right?

Actually, quite the opposite. This is the first game where we had no luck. And, this is what the Bills look like with the absence of luck.

You run the ball once. Maybe it get nothing, maybe it gets you a few yards and the play book opens up some more with TICK TOCK moving along!

What do I know...I called the run before the pass, so I will stay with my gut instinct...it was a bad call.