The New Yorker writeup

NJBuffFan

October 14, 2011

Buffalo’s Harvard Man

Posted by Reeves Wiedeman

There is only one professional football team that plays home games in the state of New York, but Buffalo, and its Bills, are seven hours away from New York City by car. Buffalo natives are manically defensive of their town, and their team—but to downstaters, content to cheer the dual circus shows put on by the Jets and Giants in New Jersey, Buffalo might as well be Boise. The city doesn’t have much going for it. America’s post-industrial economy has not been kind—and the winters never are. It’s the second smallest city to maintain an N.F.L. franchise, after Green Bay—Buffalo’s population declined by ten per cent in the last decade—and the football franchise has offered mostly heartbreak. The Bills have never won a Super Bowl, and rather famously lost four in a row back in the nineties.

Who could possibly save this hardscrabble outpost? A Harvard man, of course. “Can Ryan Fitzpatrick’s Brain Save Buffalo?” ESPN’s new Web site, Grantland, asked last month. Fitzpatrick is the team’s serviceable quarterback distinct for going to college not at an S.E.C. or Big Ten institution, but at a certain university just north of the Charles River. (No word on which dorm—forgive me, house—he lived in.) Since Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers were drafted, few articles have made much of the fact that the N.F.L.’s two best quarterbacks went to two of America’s finest public universities (Michigan and the California-Berkeley). But few reporters have written about the 2011 Bills without mentioning Fitzpatrick’s undergraduate education.

“Harvard man Ryan Fitzpatrick has all the answers” —NBC Sports

“Harvard’s Ryan Fitzpatrick gets passing grades” —USA Today

“Smart choice was made; Harvard’s Fitzpatrick fits the bill in Buffalo” —The Boston Globe

We get it: he’s a smart guy, with a 1350 on the S.A.T. and a forty-eight out of fifty on the Wonderlic football I.Q. test. (Cam Newton, this year’s No. 1 pick, scored a twenty-one.) Boastfulness is not limited to Cambridge, however, and the Boston College graduate in me feels the need to note that former Eagles linebacker Mike Mamula scored a forty-nine. The only perfect score did, admittedly, go to Pat McInally, a Harvard grad, but let the record show: he was a punter.

More importantly, Fitzpatrick has been a pretty good quarterback, leading the Bills to a 4-1 start, though its unclear what role the Harvard faculty played in developing his quick release. (Malcolm Gladwell has written about the difficulty of predicting a quarterback’s success in pro football.) He has helped make the Bills not only an uplifting underdog story, but a particularly entertaining one. Their defense has been terrible—worse than all but two N.F.L. teams—but the offense has been prolific—better, again, than all but two. Only the Patriots, worst and second-best in those categories, have had more disparate levels of success on each side of the ball. On Sunday, Fitzpatrick will bring his economics degree south to MetLife Stadium to face Eli Manning (Ole Miss, marketing, 3.44 G.P.A.). The Giants are favored by three. The over/under figure on how many times the announcers mention Fitzpatrick’s undergraduate institution is considerably higher.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2011/10/ryan-fitzpatrick-buffalo-bills.html#ixzz1amaQTCH6

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought Fitz got a 1580 on the SAT's?

Yep, he did.

7.Ryan Fitzpatrick: Buffalo Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 1580 on the SAT, which means he smoked pretty much everyone reading this article right now. He majored in economics at Harvard, getting a top-flight education to bolster the playing skills that would eventually lead him to Buffalo. He's not even 30 yet, but he's already recognized as one the smartest players in the game.

Edited by BillsFanNC

Yes, New York city is wonderful. I'm sure the writer enjoys paying $2000 for his studio in Queens in order to go to one Broadway show every year, and eat real NYC hot dogs.

The thing about Buffalo is that it has at least one of what any major city has. So you can live that lifestyle at a lower cost and with a lot less stress. Drive to a nice restaurant, find a parking spot right on the street, enjoy a great meal for about half the cost in NYC, drive to Sabres game, park near the arena, hit a club after the game, last call at 4am, get more great food at 5am, catch a show the next day. Yes, life out here in the tundra is hardscrabble. Poor us.

PTR

Not a bad writeup. God, you guys are as advertised: "manically defensive."

The article is fine. It's the snooty "there's no life past Yonkers" attitude that we resent. And there's nothing wrong with Boise either.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It is customary to take swipes at Buffalo. This guy has probably never been there.He's just going by stereotypes. I can tell you that I was visiting BFLO from San Diego last weekend at it was EPIC back there...Beautiful early fall weather, amazing Bills tailgating and game. NY does not offer the same type of football environment BFLO does...It isnt even close. It is like an alumni homecoming weekend at a big college every weekend in Orchard Park-There is no other town other than maybe Green Bay that can come close to that . Dont tell me BFLO doesnt have much going for it, because it really does. It is charming, vibrant and welcoming. My wife has fallen in love with it and she spent her entire lif in Southern California.

When NYC is under water in about 50 years...All the turds from NYC will move west to BFLO!

live that lifestyle at a lower cost

lot less stress

Drive

great meal for about half the cost in NYC

drive

Beautiful early fall weather

amazing Bills tailgating and game.

These are some of the things that I miss most about Western New York.

Edited by NJBuffFan

Hyperbolizing the negatives of a smaller city like Buffalo is useful in contrasting the region itself to the local team's success. The imagery of something good rising from the ashes of a broken city supposedly makes for a more profound story. Really, it's just lazy writing from a tired angle.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Hi

Thanks for the note. My sincerest apologies that the intent of my article was missed. I love Buffalo; one of my best friends is from there, and I spent a perfectly enjoyable weekend there a few years back. It was meant as a satire of those who think of your city - and mine - as out-of-the-way dumps in need of some Ivy League sophistication. If the intent was missed, it's because I probably shouldn't make attempts at satire.

Anyway, thanks for reading, even if I only enraged you. Can we call it even after what your Bills did to my Chiefs in Week 1?

Reeves

Dude,

Could you have spent less time on your blip about Fitz?

You just couldn't resist blasting Buffalo with the same old crappy cut and paste ****. Cold winters declining population...blah, blah, blah,

Did you use Google to write that or did you visit here and come up with these grand insights on your own?

New York's winter's equally suck.

Hyperbolizing the negatives of a smaller city like Buffalo is useful in contrasting the region itself to the local team's success. The imagery of something good rising from the ashes of a broken city supposedly makes for a more profound story. Really, it's just lazy writing from a tired angle.

Is he hyperbolizing? The city lost close to 11 percent of its population in the last decade, and close to 11 percent in the decade before that. It also has the third highest poverty rate in the US (28.8 percent).

Not a bad writeup. God, you guys are as advertised: "manically defensive."

It is not about being defensive Dave, but why is it that whenever there is an article on the bills or anything about Buffalo from an outsider that never probably never even stepped foot in this city they always find the need to take a pot shot at the city. I don't see national writers/out of towners take pot shots at other cities like they do this one.

It is not about being defensive Dave, but why is it that whenever there is an article on the bills or anything about Buffalo from an outsider that never probably never even stepped foot in this city they always find the need to take a pot shot at the city. I don't see national writers/out of towners take pot shots at other cities like they do this one.

He responded above. He's been there.

These dumbass writers talk about what Buffalo is like but have never set foot in the city. It's not New York but how many cities are?

PTR

The thing about Buffalo is that it has at least one of what any major city has. So you can live that lifestyle at a lower cost and with a lot less stress. Drive to a nice restaurant, find a parking spot right on the street, enjoy a great meal for about half the cost in NYC, drive to Sabres game, park near the arena, hit a club after the game, last call at 4am, get more great food at 5am, catch a show the next day. Yes, life out here in the tundra is hardscrabble. Poor us.

PTR

Did you really read the post? The author is describing the attitudes of citizens of NYC metropolitan area, not his own. Also, he doesn't say anything specific about Buffalo other than regarding it's population and cold winters.

Dry your tears.