Kelvin Sheppard

PaattMaann

Is Kelvin Sheppard permanently replacing Davis as one of our MLBs? or was that only b/c of Vick's athleticism...if you ask me, or anyone with a set of eyes that watched last sunday, Sheppard played a helluva game and was an obvious upgrade over slow and old Davis...

It looked to me as if he was ready and could handle the full time role, the question is, has there been any evidence outta OBD that suggests hes now the full time starter or are we looking at a backup role/time share still?

Is Kelvin Sheppard permanently replacing Davis as one of our MLBs? or was that only b/c of Vick's athleticism...if you ask me, or anyone with a set of eyes that watched last sunday, Sheppard played a helluva game and was an obvious upgrade over slow and old Davis...

It looked to me as if he was ready and could handle the full time role, the question is, has there been any evidence outta OBD that suggests hes now the full time starter or are we looking at a backup role/time share still?

I don't know the answer, but I do know that Wannstache has done an excellent job bringing Sheppard along (he is the ILB coach first and foremost) in a really short time.

If you missed the article on WGR, Davis has been working with Sheppard since he was drafted by the bills.

The direct recipient of Davis spending most of Sunday on the sidelines -- at least against Philadelphia -- was Sheppard, the exciting first-year player.

The veteran knows getting these younger players up to speed as quickly as possible is something that would help expedite the process of getting the team as a whole to where they want to be. That's the exact reason why Davis made the extra effort during the off-season and the lockout to get the upper-hand.

"Dating back to this summer, with him coming to Atlanta and working out with me," Sheppard recalled. "Just having him here, having me be able to start off my career in the NFL with a guy like that taking me under his wing is tremendous."

The rookie linebacker wasn't the only one dishing out the praise. Davis is one of a few defensive veterans that wanted the coaching staff to give Sheppard a chance in the lineup.

Sometimes I really have to laugh at some of these "analysts" that sit up there on draft day.....

Somebody actually had the nerve to say that Shep is "hesitant to stick his head in there" and "his body type is too narrow".....trying to justify saying that we picked the wrong middle linebacker first in the draft (I had read somewhere that the other ILB in question was struggling a bit)

WHHHHHAAAT....:)

Sometimes I really have to laugh at some of these "analysts" that sit up there on draft day.....

Chan had this guy on his radar since the Senior Bowl. Looks like he's a better scout than these "analysts" you mention. :thumbsup:

Is there a way to lock the Bills' head coach into coaching at the Senior Bowl every year for the next decade?

"Dating back to this summer, with him coming to Atlanta and working out with me," Sheppard recalled.

I saw McKelvin and Davis in the Atlanta airport on the Tuesday after the Bengals game. McKelvin ahd a Bills hoodie on and some Pats fan was chatting with him...having no idea Leodis played for the freaking team. Kinda funny.

Sheppard played at LSU and I believe he led the SEC in tackles the last few years he was there.....dude is a player...if its him or Andra Davis, I say Sheppard here ya go...

And the opinion on him from almost everyone of the media draft gurus was that he was a career backup.....

We should just draft Bama and LSU boys for defense all day every day.

but again, my original question/intent for the post was about IF shepp is now the starting LB? Any positives on this?

I don't think it really matters if he's starting. As long as he's learning, getting increasingly more playing time, and improving that's fine with me. He looks like he's gonna be a player, who says we have to rush it.

but again, my original question/intent for the post was about IF shepp is now the starting LB? Any positives on this?

I'm guessing in name he is not the starting LB, especially since Davis is a team captain and it has been said more than once how great of a team leader Davis is. However, and according to the WGR report Davis has alot to do with this, it seems as though alot of his responsibilities are being transferred over to Sheppard & I would guess this will increase with time.

Edited by Carey Bender

I don't think it really matters if he's starting. As long as he's learning, getting increasingly more playing time, and improving that's fine with me. He looks like he's gonna be a player, who says we have to rush it.

I wouldnt say its "rushing it" if hes ready, which he clearly looked like...and Davis sucks (slow and misses tackles, liability against the pass and zero pass rush), so that is why I think this is a VERY valid question....

I wouldnt say its "rushing it" if hes ready, which he clearly looked like...and Davis sucks (slow and misses tackles, liability against the pass and zero pass rush), so that is why I think this is a VERY valid question....

You are WAY off here. I won't argue that Davis has slowed down a little, but I would say that is his only weakness. It's no coincidence that the Bills run D has been MUCH better with Davis in the middle. He is big strong and a very solid tackler, and unlike POZ, makes tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. At this point in his career he is not great in coverage. He also is rarely even asked to rush the QB, so of course he is not going to ring up sacks. The Bills rarely blitz up the middle, and if they do it's usually Barnett. Don't expect Sheppard to be a pass rusher either, that's not his role.

Having said that, Sheppard has a much higher upside. I'd love to see him show it, and I have no problem with him replacing Davis if he's ready. But to say Davis "sucks" just because we have a young player stepping up is unjustified, It sounds like maybe you should actually watch him play, especially against the run...

I am guessing the major reasons for Sheppard getting rushed in was Vick (speed,for that game), and the need for better coverage. To the OP's point it will be interesting to see if he takes the starting spot for good.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Chan had this guy on his radar since the Senior Bowl. Looks like he's a better scout than these "analysts" you mention. :thumbsup:

Is there a way to lock the Bills' head coach into coaching at the Senior Bowl every year for the next decade?

Sadly, I believe it's written in the League by-laws that your team has to suck the previous year to get this gig. It's obvious what a tremendous help the experience was for our coaching staff, but if my interpretation of the rule book is correct, I hope we don't get selected to coach the Senior Bowl EVER AGAIN!

From a laymen's perspective, and just watching the game on TV and replay, it sure looked like Sheppard was everywhere. No, Davis is not awful, but it appeared to me Sheppard was much more athletic, and he did rush the passer several times, creating the Barnett pick 6.

You are WAY off here. I won't argue that Davis has slowed down a little, but I would say that is his only weakness. It's no coincidence that the Bills run D has been MUCH better with Davis in the middle. He is big strong and a very solid tackler, and unlike POZ, makes tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. At this point in his career he is not great in coverage. He also is rarely even asked to rush the QB, so of course he is not going to ring up sacks. The Bills rarely blitz up the middle, and if they do it's usually Barnett. Don't expect Sheppard to be a pass rusher either, that's not his role.

Having said that, Sheppard has a much higher upside. I'd love to see him show it, and I have no problem with him replacing Davis if he's ready. But to say Davis "sucks" just because we have a young player stepping up is unjustified, It sounds like maybe you should actually watch him play, especially against the run...

I am guessing the major reasons for Sheppard getting rushed in was Vick (speed,for that game), and the need for better coverage. To the OP's point it will be interesting to see if he takes the starting spot for good.

Eh, Davis doesn't exactly suck, but he's the weakest of the four LBs that started the season if you ask me. But I know Kelsay and Merriman haven't done much either, so its close.

Eh, Davis doesn't exactly suck, but he's the weakest of the four LBs that started the season if you ask me. But I know Kelsay and Merriman haven't done much either, so its close.

Its hard to evaluate ILB's unless you really know the coverages and assignments (i don't). That probably goes for any position but inside guys are asked to do everything, including DLine adjustments if necessary.

My idiot evaluation criteria for ILB's is how well they shed blocks, get to their gaps, and cover their side of the field for run or pass coverage. They all hit hard, including Davis, the question is are they making the tackles up at the line or 6 yards deep. Can they cover TE's or Backs? What about side to side range? (Barnett is strong in that category)

Shep looked somewhat lost on a few plays, even the one where he released and stuck Vick to cause the INT he had a half second hesitation before shooting the gap. It was like, "wow, I have a clean lane to Mike Vick, holy crap I'd better get after him"

He looked slow on the Vick long run, but so did everybody on the field except the DogKilla himself.

Here's the skinny on him coming out of college:

STRENGTHS

Athletic inside linebacker prospect

Versatile - experience inside and outside (may project best to weak side)

Has the speed to make plays sideline to sideline

Good lateral agility allows him to make plays down the line

Moves well in space and looks fluid in coverage

Diagnoses plays

Times blitzes well and makes plays in the backfield

Productive and around the football - over 100 tackles in 2009 and 2010

Good size

Leader of one of the best defenses in the country - makes defensive calls

Experienced - 3 year starter

WEAKNESSES

Lacks the build and physical style to play inside in a 3-4 (note: not sure whats wrong with 6'2 250)

Is not a big hitter

Tends to let the action come to him rather than anticipate and react

Struggles to seal the edge

Not overly physical

Sadly, I believe it's written in the League by-laws that your team has to suck the previous year to get this gig. It's obvious what a tremendous help the experience was for our coaching staff, but if my interpretation of the rule book is correct, I hope we don't get selected to coach the Senior Bowl EVER AGAIN!

Correct. Buffalo and Cinci (#3 and 4) got the gig because 1 and 2, Denver and Carolina were changing coaches.

Davis just gained a lot more respect in my book. And in Shep's book too I'm sure. This is the type of team first attitude I love. It's Shep's time to shine. With Davis' help.

And Davis does not suck.

Edited by Pilsner