Brandon Lloyd In Buffalo?

Sniper

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Lloyd. Bills will make due until Jones is back and until then others will get xp. A 4th round pick that would've been supposedly used on Lloyd can instead be used to try and find another Hairston next draft.

Also would his mentality mesh with this team or would he be a cancer? Too many peeps neglect to consider mentality.

Edited by Pilsner

When you have a strong locker room with strong leaders and a group of guys who all buy into the team-first mentality, you can take on one player with a checkered past. In order to fit in with his new family, the acquisition has no choice but to fall in line. We've seen it work before, including the case of Moss in New England*. Lloyd can help us on the field.

Still don't think it makes sense to give up more than a 5th for a 10-game rental, and not sure if a new contract for Lloyd fits the plan.

You know Boone you're right that a strong locker room should be able to handle a newcomer with any idiosyncracies that individual may have. But no need to try this unless the circumstances are extreme which they aren't.

I'm glad you wouldn't want to part with a 4th.

I would gladly take loyde for a reasonable price. My only problem is that is contract is up after this season... so if we want to keep him longterm, we would have re-sign the guy. And that wont be easy since we have (or should) work out contracts for stevie and fitz, and rework jackson's contract. COmplete 4 major contracts in one offseason doesn't seem like something the bills front office could really handle. I guess it is great that williams has his worked out, but there is a lot to be done to secure this team's nucleus and continue building on that.

I would gladly take loyde for a reasonable price. My only problem is that is contract is up after this season... so if we want to keep him longterm, we would have re-sign the guy. And that wont be easy since we have (or should) work out contracts for stevie and fitz, and rework jackson's contract. COmplete 4 major contracts in one offseason doesn't seem like something the bills front office could really handle. I guess it is great that williams has his worked out, but there is a lot to be done to secure this team's nucleus and continue building on that.

The Bills also have to come up with new contracts for unrestricted free agents to be, Demetrius Bell, Bryan Scott, Ryan Lindell, Erik Pears, Chad Rinehart and Scott Chandler.

Andra Davis, Kirk Morrison, and Reggie Torbor will also all be UFA but the Bills will likely keep only one of them at most.

Point being what you already pointed out except even worse… giving Brandon Lloyd a new contract would make things very difficult for the front office.

The Bills also have to come up with new contracts for unrestricted free agents to be, Demetrius Bell, Bryan Scott, Ryan Lindell, Erik Pears, Chad Rinehart and Scott Chandler.

Andra Davis, Kirk Morrison, and Reggie Torbor will also all be UFA but the Bills will likely keep only one of them at most.

Point being what you already pointed out except even worse… giving Brandon Lloyd a new contract would make things very difficult for the front office.

Bell, Pears, Reinhart are all restricted. They aren't keeping any of those 3 LBs. They have the room to sign him especially after letting Roscoe go. It won't happen though.

Bell, Pears, Reinhart are all restricted. They aren't keeping any of those 3 LBs. They have the room to sign him especially after letting Roscoe go. It won't happen though.

You might be right, JC but that's not my understanding.

Players who have 4 or more years of NFL experience are eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Bell: 2011 will be his 4th year.

Pears: 2011 will be his 7th year.

Rinehart: 2011 will be his 4th year.

All of their contracts expire after 2011 (this season).

Am I missing something?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams were also in discussions for Lloyd, according to two sources.

The San Francisco 49ers have shown the strongest interest in Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Lloyd, whom the Broncos said last week would be shopped around ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline, according to a report Sunday night in The Denver Post.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82330f70/article/report-49ers-showing-strong-interest-in-broncos-wr-lloyd?module=HP11_headline_stack

Good move for Denver. Rams will be picking high in the draft next year and the Broncos don't play them this year.

Odd move for St. Louis, picking up a free-agent to be on a 0-5 team. Seems to fly in the face of rebuilding unless they think want him long-term and getting his rights now gives them a jump on other teams.

You might be right, JC but that's not my understanding.

Players who have 4 or more years of NFL experience are eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Bell: 2011 will be his 4th year.

Pears: 2011 will be his 7th year.

Rinehart: 2011 will be his 4th year.

All of their contracts expire after 2011 (this season).

Am I missing something?

Nope, you're right, they're all unrestricted.

I'm happy with this.

I'd MUCH rather have Eddie Royal -- You know, the Denver WR who was drafted one spot *after* Hardly in 2008. I think he'd be a great complement to Stevie, and he's young. He has shown flashes, but given Denver's horrible situation and the fact that he's had at least three different QBs throwing to him in four years (Cutler, Orton, Tebow) -- I think he's underrated. He had a great rookie year and can move.

I read a story on the wire the other day that he's on the block. I don't know if that changes with the Lloyd trade, but that's a guy for whom I could see us giving up a 4th.

Why we're hanging on to Ruvell Martin is beyond me.

I'm happy with this.

I'd MUCH rather have Eddie Royal -- You know, the Denver WR who was drafted one spot *after* Hardly in 2008. I think he'd be a great complement to Stevie, and he's young. He has shown flashes, but given Denver's horrible situation and the fact that he's had at least three different QBs throwing to him in four years (Cutler, Orton, Tebow) -- I think he's underrated. He had a great rookie year and can move.

I read a story on the wire the other day that he's on the block. I don't know if that changes with the Lloyd trade, but that's a guy for whom I could see us giving up a 4th.

Why we're hanging on to Ruvell Martin is beyond me.

If Lloyd went for 6th or 5th depending on his production, no way way it costs a 4th for Eddie Royal, who has been hurt all year and has only a couple catches. I would have been more than happy to part with a 5th for Lloyd.

If Lloyd went for 6th or 5th depending on his production, no way way it costs a 4th for Eddie Royal, who has been hurt all year and has only a couple catches. I would have been more than happy to part with a 5th for Lloyd.

Lloyd is 30; Royal is 25. It's a groin injury and Royal is expected back after the bye. Hardly career ending.

A healthy Lloyd has as many TDs this year as a hurt Royal. That would be zero. A healthy Lloyd has only 15 more catches than a hurt Royal. Could it be the messed up QB situation in Denver? Royal is a physical receiver who is a solid #2.

I'm not getting the love for Lloyd -- One great year in nine. Glad we passed.

Royal has done crap since his rookie yr. no thanks.

Llyod for just a 6th maybe a 5th, nicw get for STL.

What has Lloyd done this year? What did he do for his other seven seasons prior to last year? If you're gonna talk about "one year wonders," look at the guy you're hyping. Classic example.

Odd move for St. Louis, picking up a free-agent to be on a 0-5 team. Seems to fly in the face of rebuilding unless they think want him long-term and getting his rights now gives them a jump on other teams.

Lloyd is only 30 years old and potentially has another 4-5 years left. The Rams gave up at-worst a 5th rounder, and have the rest of the season to audition Lloyd and see whether he's worth re-signing for big bucks.

Dont understand not going after Lloyd. Character issues phobia? Me first kind of guy/ Or maybe just a dumb FO non move.

I wonder if the interested teams were allowed to speak with his agent to get an idea of what his demands for a new contract are worth.

I know a 5th or 6th rounder isn't viewed by most people as having great value but Colie pointed out, if you're a young, rebuilding team like the Rams you wouldn't give up a draft choice for a rental player… especially when the team is winless and the season is already doomed.

In other words, the chances are very strong that St. Louis intends to sign Lloyd to a new contract.

I don't think they would have traded for him without having a conversation with his agent.

Therefore I think it's reasonable to assume that the other interested teams also spoke with his agent.

Maybe Lloyd's sense of his own value was not consistent with what the other teams had him appraised for.

I wonder if the interested teams were allowed to speak with his agent to get an idea of what his demands for a new contract are worth.

I know a 5th or 6th rounder isn't viewed by most people as having great value but Colie pointed out, if you're a young, rebuilding team like the Rams you wouldn't give up a draft choice for a rental player… especially when the team is winless and the season is already doomed.

In other words, the chances are very strong that St. Louis intends to sign Lloyd to a new contract.

I don't think they would have traded for him without having a conversation with his agent.

Therefore I think it's reasonable to assume that the other interested teams also spoke with his agent.

Maybe Lloyd's sense of his own value was not consistent with what the other teams had him appraised for.

I agree the Rams intend to seriously consider signing Lloyd to a new deal. I sort of think we might have done the same. What interests me is our FO's thinking. To put a positive, and possibly accurate spin on it, I think their reluctance to bring in FAs at the expense of draft choices (especially during the season) is part of the Bill's personnel policy under this FO. They fully commit to the team concept. Player's grow up in the system. The team commits to the players in that their development will be prioritized. What would it do to Jones head if after a promising start to the season the team parachuted Brandon Lloyd because Jones was out for 4-6 weeks. Physchologically this management approach is designed to bond the players to the organization and produce the best results for the long term, to get the most out of the players on you team, in the best interests of the team and of the players. Maybe Lloyd would have been lucky to be traded to the Bills.