Drew's decline last 2 games

Albany,n.y.

I think the main reason Drew has taken a step backwards the past 2 games is he has no TEs left to throw to, especially in the red zone. The rejuvination of Bledsoe coincided with the use of Campbell & Euhus more. Bledsoe appears to be more comfortable with a tall target in the red zone when he's throwing near the end zone. The TEs also tend to get less coverage than the WRs. He's missed Moulds a few times on end zone passes since the TEs went out. If I'm right, Drew will struggle a bit the next 2 weeks (& beyond if we make the playoffs) but should be ok for next year.

Did anyone notice the absolutely SICK amount of time Brady had to throw in the Dolfelons game? Until the last one or two drives, when they managed to get some consistent pressure, the Felons were giving him six, seven seconds to throw, and he made some very nice passes. Of course, once they got consistent pressure Brady was toast and made two of the worst throws I've ever seen him make. :)

Which supports a long-held theory -- the Patsy offensive line deserves way more credit for the team's success than does Marcia "Golden Boy" Brady. :D

Did anyone notice the absolutely SICK amount of time Brady had to throw in the Dolfelons game? Until the last one or two drives, when they managed to get some consistent pressure, the Felons were giving him six, seven seconds to throw, and he made some very nice passes. Of course, once they got consistent pressure Brady was toast and made two of the worst throws I've ever seen him make.  :)

Which supports a long-held theory -- the Patsy offensive line deserves way more credit for the team's success than does Marcia "Golden Boy" Brady.  :D

172439[/snapback]

Let's not forget the kindness of NFL officials, who've been known to go entire months without flagging the Patriots for holding.

I think the main reason Drew has taken a step backwards the past 2 games is he has no TEs left to throw to, especially in the red zone.  The rejuvination of Bledsoe coincided with the use of Campbell & Euhus more.  Bledsoe appears to be more comfortable with a tall target in the red zone when he's throwing near the end zone.  The TEs also tend to get less coverage than the WRs.  He's missed Moulds a few times on end zone passes since the TEs went out.  If I'm right, Drew will struggle a bit the next 2 weeks (& beyond if we make the playoffs) but should be ok for next year.

172406[/snapback]

I agree completely. No QB made better use of the TE in his day than Drew did with Coates. On paper, losing two average TE's seems palatable, but Drew doesn't have the accuracy to keep hitting WR's on short and intermediate routes and is very sloppy with short throws to receivers coming out of the backfield. His best work is over the middle and to the post to a big TE or a deep ball down the sideline to a WR. REALLY hurts not having those TE's.

It's up to Clements to recognize this and find other things that will work and eschew the "chuck and die" approach Gilbride took with Bledsoe last year. I think he has identified and addressed somewhat with the designed draw calls and the flea-flicker in the last game(which opened up a deep ball opp for Drew).

I think the main reason Drew has taken a step backwards the past 2 games is he has no TEs left to throw to, especially in the red zone.  The rejuvination of Bledsoe coincided with the use of Campbell & Euhus more.  Bledsoe appears to be more comfortable with a tall target in the red zone when he's throwing near the end zone.  The TEs also tend to get less coverage than the WRs.  He's missed Moulds a few times on end zone passes since the TEs went out.  If I'm right, Drew will struggle a bit the next 2 weeks (& beyond if we make the playoffs) but should be ok for next year.

172406[/snapback]

LOL, I brought this very thing up about a week ago. Red zone offense sucks cuz DB doesn't have his "soup" out there. :D

Campbell has earned notice just on his improvement in blocking. He's been a big part of the running scheme used by Clements that looks frequently to get at least one lineman to the outside while the TEs are asked to seal their assignments inside. We fall off pretty dramatically when we get past him on the depth chart in the blocking game, and he's shown value in the red zone as mentioned here.

Campbell has earned notice just on his improvement in blocking. He's been a big part of the running scheme used by Clements that looks frequently to get at least one lineman to the outside while the TEs are asked to seal their assignments inside. We fall off pretty dramatically when we get past him on the depth chart in the blocking game, and he's shown value in the red zone as mentioned here.

172549[/snapback]

i can't believe peters can't do anything that campbell can do...with regard to blocking, that is. it has to be that he doesn't know what he's doing yet.

Uh, because Ben Coates actually played football.

172657[/snapback]

It is a good point though, Bledsoe needs a good TE to chuck the ball to when he's feeling pressured. Thats why I think one of our big FA moves this offseason should be to take Bubba Franks from Green Bay if he actually makes it to the free agent market. We should wine him, dine him and sign him on the first day. Imagine how much better this offense would be with Franks involved in the passing game. Not too shabby of a blocker either.

Guest Butch Rolle's Mom

172406[/snapback]

As long as he doesn't turn the ball over by interception or fumble and makes good decisions, Drew is doing well.

172425[/snapback]

didnt we win the last few games?? by a lot??

and arent we down to almost less than 1 sack/game??

and very few ints??

ok then... i agree, NOT having a TE is a big deal for Bledsoe, but the team has found ways to win regardless, so im not that worried about it right now.

it seems like our general team gameplan is to not have to put the QB in a position to pull out a win. i know a lot of you on here hate that philosophy and want a Manning-esque QB, but the Colts arent going anywhere anytime soon, and Brady's numbers(excluding last night) have been pretty close to Bledsoe's. once again, im not that worried.

Guest Lyle Alzado's Mom
I wonder what Ben Coates is doing these days...hey, if Neon Deion can come out of retirement, why not a guy who DIDNT destroy his body with drugs?

172656[/snapback]

say what you want, but it doesnt seem like "drugs" had much of a negative effect on his body. i dont remember when deion was unable to cover or return kicks. im not defending that pos deion, just the innocent drugs :D