Donald Jones is a Problem

eMoulds

The #2 WR spot on this team is an issue. Of our five main receiving targets, Donald Jones is last in catch percentage by a significant margin despite having the second lowest YPC (theoretically, players with lower YPC should have higher catch percentages as their targets are shorter/safer plays) on the team. Nelson is a natural slot reciever and Stevie is by no means a burner, so we need the #2 WR position to stretch the field. Jones isn't doing this and he's consistently not making the semi-difficult catches in traffic. This offense is going to need a reliable speed receiver with the ability to at least make the safety respect the deep threat in order to score against better defenses. Through 4 games, Jones isn't bringing very much to the table.

C T Y C% Y/T Y/C

SJ 24 36 314 66.67% 8.72 13.08

DN 22 30 251 73.33% 8.37 11.41

DJ 14 29 149 48.28% 5.14 10.64

FJ 13 17 147 76.47% 8.65 11.31

SC 11 14 97 78.57% 6.93 8.82

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The #2 WR spot on this team is an issue. Of our five main receiving targets, Donald Jones is last in catch percentage by a significant margin despite having the second lowest YPC (theoretically, players with lower YPC should have higher catch percentages as their targets are shorter/safer plays) on the team. Nelson is a natural slot reciever and Stevie is by no means a burner, so we need the #2 WR position to stretch the field. Jones isn't doing this and he's consistently not making the semi-difficult catches in traffic. This offense is going to need a reliable speed receiver with the ability to at least make the safety respect the deep threat in order to score against better defenses. Through 4 games, Jones isn't bringing very much to the table.

C T Y C% Y/T Y/C

SJ 24 36 314 66.67% 8.72 13.08

DN 22 30 251 73.33% 8.37 11.41

DJ 14 29 149 48.28% 5.14 10.64

FJ 13 17 147 76.47% 8.65 11.31

SC 11 14 97 78.57% 6.93 8.82

Except for the Patriots game?

Your reaching......the offense is putting up a ton of points wtf are you bitching about?

Except for the Patriots game?

Your reaching......the offense is putting up a ton of points wtf are you bitching about?

They threw his way ten times against NE. He caught 5. He made some big plays against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL, but he still didn't make a few more tough catches. Even the one ~40 yard catch he had againt the Pats should have been a TD, but his footwork was poor.

The offense has been very successful against three bad defenses and poor against a decent defense. I think we need Jones to play much better (or upgrade the position) to score consistently against better defensive teams. He isn't a deep threat, he doesn't make tough catches, and he drops some easy ones. So what does he bring?

I would rather find a big time TE to pair up with Chandler so we didn't have to rely on the spread "all of the time". I'm just not comfortable with the spread late in the year and when we just have to get downright "physical". I don't see us picking high enough for a true difference maker at WR and hate WR's who only just bring speed to the table. Like JohnFromHemet said, a speed only reciever is basically a waste in this offense. Find a big time TE, and keep loading up on defensive players!

I think that they expected much more from Jones going into the season, but why they expected that is anyone's guess. He has much worse stonehands than Stevie Johnson has, and isn't as smart of a player. What a couple months ago seemed like maybe the position with the most depth on the roster, seems quite thin now. I personally would like to see much more Nelson and much less Jones, in fact Nelson was used sparingly yesterday compared to the first three weeks. Nelson has by far the best hands on the team, and they need to get him involved not only for his own growth, but he might be the team's most reliable reciever.

thats why easly will replace him next year.

I would like to see that, but I wouldn't be even the smallest bit surprised if you never see Easley in uniform again. How do you recover from a heart ailment? Is it something that heals itself on it's own, I don't think so, but I am far from a doctor, so here's hoping so.

Buffalo is thin at WR and RB.

I totally agree, after Fred Jackson got hurt and left the field holding his arm, then the very next play Spiller was lying down holding his leg, I thought "Oh Shoot", what now? We could really use a little bit of veteran help at both positions. But we could use a little help at a few positions. That is one thing that I have always liked about the way Belicheat coaches, and it was brought up by the announcers last week, in that if you make the Patriots roster, you are going to play each week and count on being a contributor. With the Bills, if Jackson and Spiller were to go down, we have zero experienced backs left. In fact, if Jackson went down, I don't think you can even rely on Spiller full time, he isn't that type of back.

Edited by billsfreak

While watching the past four games....I've noticed there are times where Fitz's shaky accuracy is the result of WR drops on passing downs...

Yes, Jones is not the best option at #2...But, this team is still a work in progress...

Us, fans tend to forget,... that after a 3-0 start... this is just year number two of the Chix regime!

EDIT: Ican recall, there have been at least 4-5 picks that were almost intercepted, but dropped by opposing CB's...3 of which were easy INT's sqaure in the hands of opposing CB's!

Example: Scott Chandler's TD in the endzone against the Raiders

Edited by KollegeStudnet

My problem with Jones is that he can't make the tough catches. They threw one long down to him on the sidelines in the first half. It was not the best thrown football, but it was where he could only get it. He jumped back for it and it hit him in the hands, but he didn't catch it. Killed the drive. If it's a easy to medium difficult catch, he's got it. But the tough catches that you need to be good he just doesn't get. Unfortunately Brad Smith did not look any better. That long one to him that hit him in the hands that he didn't catch also killed a drive.

I never said WR was a strength for us ever this year. It is a weekness for us.

I agree that David Nelson is our most sure handed guy and he needs to get the ball more than he did yesterday.

Totally agree. The spread offense and quickstrike throws has worked against crap defenses, but once they face some good ones, like they did yesterday, you'll see why they shouldn't have traded Evans.

I read on the internet that Evans wasnt worth his salary and we were lucky to get a 4th. Now we need him and shouldnt have traded him? Got it

I totally agree, after Fred Jackson got hurt and left the field holding his arm, then the very next play Spiller was lying down holding his leg, I thought "Oh Shoot", what now?

I thought the same thing. But the fact is that a 3rd string RB is a 3rd string RB. I don't know many teams that have stud 3rd string RB's just sitting around. I am fine with the depth at RB with Jackson, Spiller, and White. Consider also that if we're really in a pinch, guys like McIntyre and maybe even Brad Smith can be used in the backfield.