At the seasons quarter mark....let's be honest...

As a friend of mine back in HS used to say all the time "No **** Sherlock". I'm an optimist but not delusional (Superbowl), it's a team moving in the right direction but needs more talent on both sides of the ball. Until yesterday, they've been really fun to watch. It's also been nice to be noticed again...that's really all I wanted or expected this year.

Ah - well there are some that would challenge the notion...in fact, I think last week someone ran the numbers and readily got to 14-2 with homefield throughout the playoffs. It is to this end I scratch my head and wonder what record Rasputin would have projected for our beloved Bills...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so this team is 3-1. Has shown some heart. Cinci showed where the Bills are the most vulnerable and exploited it. Let's also remember it was only a matter of time that teams caught up with Gailey's offense. Does this team ever utilize a pitch out to one of our running backs??

I still say this team will end around 8-8 this year.

The corners are terrible ,safteies are Ok but slow,linebackers have been inconsistent and our pass rush dies out as the game progresses. For all the draft choices that this team used to beef up the defense,it still has a way to go.Epesicailly when you let a rookie QB and a Rookie WR shred the defense like they did.

Vick can't wait to throw the ball next week toward Mckelvin's side off the field next week!!!

Edited by Rob T from OP

Ah - well there are some that would challenge the notion...in fact, I think last week someone ran the numbers and readily got to 14-2 with homefield throughout the playoffs. It is to this end I scratch my head and wonder what record Rasputin would have projected for our beloved Bills...

I agree that's just same magical thinking. :doh: I'd be really satisfied with something above .500.

look.

i grew up in new england, i've lived here my entire life. i've seen more patriots games than anyone on this board, and probably any 3 people combined.

there is this...

"line of thinking"

on this message board, and other bills message boards across the internet, that unless we are playing absolutely 100% perfect football for every week of the preseason, regular season, playoffs, and super bowl - we are terrible.

why did i bring up living in new england?

the first super bowl the pats won, waaay back in 02, that team was average. they won so many ridiculously close games, it was infuriating. but NOTHING, NOTHING was more infuriating than watching the 04 and 05 squads win super bowls. they were the epitome of "lucky." every single break would go their way. do i personally think it was because of video taping? no, i don't. i think they had/have a great qb, a great coach, and, hey, just caught a few lucky breaks.

what i think everyone on this board and every other board needs to realize is that, there hasn't been a team that has won the super bowl - ever - that hasn't been the beneficiary of hundreds of little lucky breaks throughout the season.

so stop thinking the sky is falling because we lost to the bengals.

we're 3-1. i listen to new england sports radio every day on the way to and from work. everyone up here has no faith in this patriots team, and thinks that the defense will keep them in the 9 to 10 win range.

in buffalo, every game we play is winnable, as we proved 2 weekends ago against new england. just enjoy the season. the packers won the super bowl last year after going 10-6. it's a long, long year, and we could potentially get into the playoffs, then it's anyone's game.

but this notion that because we're not playing perfectly, or that because the bengals beat us, or that because we're 3-1 and not 4-0 were doomed.. it's gotta stop.

we're CLEARLY in the top half of the AFC, which means we'll be in the wild card hunt come december. even if you cede the division to new england, that leaves us battling the jets, titans, and steelers if they can turn it around for 2.. TWO.. wild card spots.

if you can't have faith in this team, this season... just watch hockey.

look.

i grew up in new england, i've lived here my entire life. i've seen more patriots games than anyone on this board, and probably any 3 people combined.

there is this...

"line of thinking"

on this message board, and other bills message boards across the internet, that unless we are playing absolutely 100% perfect football for every week of the preseason, regular season, playoffs, and super bowl - we are terrible.

the first super bowl the pats won, waaay back in 02, that team was average. they won so many ridiculously close games, it was infuriating. but NOTHING, NOTHING was more infuriating than watching the 04 and 05 squads win super bowls. they were the epitome of "lucky." every single break would go their way. do i personally think it was because of video taping? no, i don't. i think they had/have a great qb, a great coach, and, hey, just caught a few lucky breaks.

what i think everyone on this board and every other board needs to realize is that, there hasn't been a team that has won the super bowl - ever - that hasn't been the beneficiary of hundreds of little lucky breaks throughout the season.

we're 3-1. i listen to new england sports radio every day on the way to and from work. everyone up here has no faith in this patriots team, and thinks that the defense will keep them in the 9 to 10 win range.

in buffalo, every game we play is winnable, as we proved 2 weekends ago against new england. just enjoy the season. the packers won the super bowl last year after going 10-6. it's a long, long year, and we could potentially get into the playoffs, then it's anyone's game.

but this notion that because we're not playing perfectly, or that because the bengals beat us, or that because we're 3-1 and not 4-0 were doomed.. it's gotta stop.

we're CLEARLY in the top half of the AFC, which means we'll be in the wild card hunt come december. even if you cede the division to new england, that leaves us battling the jets, titans, and steelers if they can turn it around for 2.. TWO.. wild card spots.

I want to buy you a beer Great post :thumbsup:

Personally, I saw the Bills physically and schematically dominate during large sections of three football games, and then come out flat in the 2nd half versus Cincinnati, and let a Bengals team punch them right in the mouth on both lines.

There are problems: we still can't cover TEs, and we have some issues in the secondary. However, I wouldn't exactly say the Bills have been fortunate, they've been winning 1x1 battles a lot of the time that in past years they would have lost the entire game, and as a result they've got some good wins.

Spot on, my good man. Have the Bills gotten a few bounces? Sure. But they don't go 3-0 simply because of bounces. This team is definitely better. How much better depends on how they come out next week, and how they move forward. That will be the difference between 11-5/12-4 and a 7-9 collapse a la '08

I said in a post a few days ago that going into this season I hoped the Bills would improve to 8-8 this year ... if you will remember looking at the strength of schedule going in, people were predicting we would have less wins than last year.

Just because our early sucess had me doing silly things like thinking of the possibilities of a Bills - Lions super bowl, and silently believing in the possibility the Senator maybe right afterall, doesn't mean, now that my world has come back to reality, all of a sudden I should start thinking we suck.

I honestly think we are ahead of schedule with our rebuilding ... I honestly think 8-8 (or better) is doable ... and I honestly think we compeate for the playoffs next year.

In the mean time the Bills have given me three out of four very entertaining games to watch, and I'm looking forward to next weeks game, which is something I haven't done for a long LONG time.

look.

there is this...

"line of thinking"

This guy gets it. Perspective. :thumbsup:

All of the sensationalism and Bill’s fever after the first three weeks was fun, but when you look at it, I believe more of it was fueled by how we got to a 3-0 start, (exciting come from behind wins against two teams), and not the fact we were 3-0. If you go back to the midpoint of last year, the Bills could have won how many games against good playoff teams – (see loses to KC, Baltimore, New England and Pittsburgh). So we start out this year winning 2 similar type games we had lost last year and all of the sudden the national spotlight is on Buffalo that we somehow figured it out. Well guess what, we just got a couple of bounces that we did not get in those loses and ended up with the “W’s”. In yesterday’s game – we did not get the bounces and lost.

I am not a “doomsayer” but really believe, come Devils Night (aka Oct 30th), this team will be sub .500 and exactly what we thought in August – headed in the right direction, but simply missing a few key ingredients to be something special over the long haul. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see the football God’s have more bounce in the Bills favor than not, but when you go into battle with talent that arguably would not start for many other NFL teams, you some up short time and again. Average or sub – McKelvin, Spiller, all receivers not named Stevie, Kelsey, Chambers, Merriman, they’ve gotten national recognition, but on the coattails of good fortune and not being special). The nice development on the offseason, the realization that Fitzpatrick belongs, Darius will be a great Pro, and the O-Line is much improved. Now don’t go crying out that I left Freddie off – if you were a Bills fan, you knew going in that he belongs n the NFL.

Understand, this is not a response to the Bills lose yesterday, in fact, it would read the same had they won – Yin and Yang are just evening out from last year…

The fact of the matter is that you wouldn't have posted this if we were 4-0 right now. "it would read the same had they won". You're off your ass, and this is a direct response to yesterday's loss. It's just MORE MORE MORE MORE fickle Bills fans, it's like a pandemic around here. It really is stunning.

The fact of the matter is that you wouldn't have posted this if we were 4-0 right now. "it would read the same had they won". You're off your ass, and this is a direct response to yesterday's loss. It's just MORE MORE MORE MORE fickle Bills fans, it's like a pandemic around here. It really is stunning.

Mr Ghost - you simply don't know me well enough. I have been touting this same stuff for a while. I think the team is headed in the right direction, but they are middle of the road right now..mind you, compared to the past 8 years - middle of the road is a drastic improvement and all I could ask given how bare the shelves have been at OBD. Skies far from falling, but if you think this is a solid team, I respectfully disagree and ask we wait until Halloween for confirmation. I sincerely hope I am dining on crow and washing it down with KoolAide, but I think it more likely to be a KitKat from the kids Halloween bag...

Personally, I saw the Bills physically and schematically dominate during large sections of three football games, and then come out flat in the 2nd half versus Cincinnati, and let a Bengals team punch them right in the mouth on both lines.

There are problems: we still can't cover TEs, and we have some issues in the secondary. However, I wouldn't exactly say the Bills have been fortunate, they've been winning 1x1 battles a lot of the time that in past years they would have lost the entire game, and as a result they've got some good wins.

You know exactly where I am going with the bolded. :)

Imo, the Bills are improved on both sides of the ball this season. What they still lack imo is pass rush, and strength on the offensive front.

I think the fact that Aaron Williams was injured put a strain on our secondary as well. McKelvin isn't a player one can count on imo. Having said that, life was easy for the secondary on the sack by Dareus, no? :) Obviously, we can't have plays such as this all the time, but we need more pressure. A player such as Courtney Upshaw would help us a ton.

Despite the above, this is a better team than the one they fielded last season. The Bills did need some luck to beat NE. So what? We are better at a lot of important positions, to include QB (Fitz is better than last year), DT and TE. Our OL, while not what I want, is also improved. And there are young receivers who look as if they can and will contribute.

The next 5 games are going to be rough, but I feel like we have a chance to win any of them. And it wasn't like this last year.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the OP could be right - the Bills may not be as good their record suggests. They caught some breaks in the OAK and NE games that may have helped them complete their comebacks and hold on.

What I don't agree with is the notion that the so-called "legit contenders" somehow don't catch needed breaks themselves that contribute to their wins. All teams catch good and bad breaks regularly - that's just a symptom of the horribly inconsistent officiating in the NFL today. If you think your so-called contending teams are winning more "legitimately" or however you want to phrase it you're mistaken.

And who are these contenders anyway supposedly winning so much more consistently than Buffalo? I'll give you Green Bay and New Orleans in the NFC look to be in top form and are probably going to run through people all year long. But what about in our conference? Well:

NE - Buffalo beat them. Defense is worst in league. Even miami hung with them for a half before NE pulled away.

BAL - laid one egg already. Defense still good; Flacco sputters at times.

PITT - already looking like a very long season for Pitt. Wouldn't be too worried about them.

NYJ - defense looks like it regressed. Sanchez is being exposed since they cant run the ball anymore.

SD - still strong, Rivers doesn't look quite himself though.

I'm not really all that frightened of those perennial AFC contenders this year. Everyone is beatable nowadays, with or without our "lucky breaks."

We're lucky to be 3-1, we could easily be 1-3 with the way games have gone this year. For that fact alone, I see us as a .500 team, and our record will simply be determined by the way the ball bounces in close games. We could be last year's Chiefs, in that we come out with a record that's better than our team. :)

I guess the OP could be right - the Bills may not be as good their record suggests. They caught some breaks in the OAK and NE games that may have helped them complete their comebacks and hold on.

What I don't agree with is the notion that the so-called "legit contenders" somehow don't catch needed breaks themselves that contribute to their wins. All teams catch good and bad breaks regularly - that's just a symptom of the horribly inconsistent officiating in the NFL today. If you think your so-called contending teams are winning more "legitimately" or however you want to phrase it you're mistaken.

And who are these contenders anyway supposedly winning so much more consistently than Buffalo? I'll give you Green Bay and New Orleans in the NFC look to be in top form and are probably going to run through people all year long. But what about in our conference? Well:

NE - Buffalo beat them. Defense is worst in league. Even miami hung with them for a half before NE pulled away.

BAL - laid one egg already. Defense still good; Flacco sputters at times.

PITT - already looking like a very long season for Pitt. Wouldn't be too worried about them.

NYJ - defense looks like it regressed. Sanchez is being exposed since they cant run the ball anymore.

SD - still strong, Rivers doesn't look quite himself though.

I'm not really all that frightened of those perennial AFC contenders this year. Everyone is beatable nowadays, with or without our "lucky breaks."

...And last year the Bills were not as bad as their record suggests. So if they're better than last year, and their record was inaccurate last year, but our 3-1 this year is also inaccurate, then where the heck are we?