Merriman

Boludo

Could be why they moved Moats back to OLB this week in practice.

Bringing more heat off the edge will be useful in weeks to come.

Against Brady* and the Pats*, not so much. Teams are better off not rushing and doubling up on their coverages.

So far, IMHO Merriman's been a better OLB in three games than Pos was an ILB in four years, and people here were lovin' Paul.

The only stats I'm focused on are the Ws.

The Killer Bs and NoName D didn't care much for personal stats either.

Things worked out pretty well for them, I'd say.

Go Bills!

If Merriman doesn't improve he's going to be on the sidelines watching Moats getting it done!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just to highlight how badly ruffmuff fails at posting, here is a photo of the play in question as brady delivers the ball

http://i.imgur.com/5YiNQ.jpg

this is a screenshot of the highlight video at 1:54 (http://www.nfl.com/v...ills-highlights)

merriman has been decent against the turn, and the entire team has been decent against the run - which is GREAT! the defense is playing better than they did last year.

now let's step it up and get a little bit more pressure on the qb!

I'm impressed at your abilities for screen shots-excellent job as was the screen shot of the Ralph Reach-around on Chandler. It was clear from the video clip as well that ruffmuff was mistaken.

It's also possible to find a couple of clips where Merriman got outright pwned by Light and swept outside and upfield, out of the play. There are also clips where he almost got there, but he did get pwned at times. Just like Bell rang down Hali and the Raiders. Good OL will pwn ya sometimes.

The OP by you, though, was "I'm sick of this complete lack of production" (not just lack of sacks, "complete lack of production") and "But damn son you gotta do SOMETHING on the field!"

Merriman is a huge improvement at R OL over Torbor just as Barnett is a huge improvement on Poz IMO, even without the sacks.

The point several of us have made is that while Merriman hasn't been "Sackman" as I think we hoped, he's been playing well and productive, doing SOMETHING, within the Bills defensive strategy for the first 3 games. That strategy had him playing to contain the run 1st in KC and Oak. The strategy in NE (several players have spoken of this) was to get pressure up the middle and push the line back into Brady's face. The film says they were consistently pushing the OL 3-5 yds back into Brady's face and it likely was a factor in the 4 INTs - even if Merriman wasn't the "man in the middle"

Can you Cowboy up and ack that "complete lack of production" and "got to do SOMETHING on the field" is also mistaken, or at least a gross exaggeration?

GO BILLS!

If Merriman doesn't improve he's going to be on the sidelines watching Moats getting it done!

Not so fast. Merriman has been decent to good against the run. Last year, run D was not Moats strong suit.

Edited by Hopeful

I'm impressed at your abilities for screen shots-excellent job as was the screen shot of the Ralph Reach-around on Chandler. It was clear from the video clip as well that ruffmuff was mistaken.

It's also possible to find a couple of clips where Merriman got outright pwned by Light and swept outside and upfield, out of the play. There are also clips where he almost got there, but he did get pwned at times. Just like Bell rang down Hali and the Raiders. Good OL will pwn ya sometimes.

The OP by you, though, was "I'm sick of this complete lack of production" (not just lack of sacks, "complete lack of production") and "But damn son you gotta do SOMETHING on the field!"

Merriman is a huge improvement at R OL over Torbor just as Barnett is a huge improvement on Poz IMO, even without the sacks.

The point several of us have made is that while Merriman hasn't been "Sackman" as I think we hoped, he's been playing well and productive, doing SOMETHING, within the Bills defensive strategy for the first 3 games. That strategy had him playing to contain the run 1st in KC and Oak. The strategy in NE (several players have spoken of this) was to get pressure up the middle and push the line back into Brady's face. The film says they were consistently pushing the OL 3-5 yds back into Brady's face and it likely was a factor in the 4 INTs - even if Merriman wasn't the "man in the middle"

Can you Cowboy up and ack that "complete lack of production" and "got to do SOMETHING on the field" is also mistaken, or at least a gross exaggeration?

GO BILLS!

Not so fast. Merriman has been decent to good against the run. Last year, run D was not Moats strong suit.

I'm all for Merriman getting back to where he was but.....I haven't seen that yet. I love competition and I'm all for Moats putting some heat on Merriman to step it up!

Don't cross the Moats! This kid show some flashes of being a darn good OLB pass rusher!

I'm all for Merriman getting back to where he was but.....I haven't seen that yet. I love competition and I'm all for Moats putting some heat on Merriman to step it up!

Don't cross the Moats! This kid show some flashes of being a darn good OLB pass rusher!

There is a reason why Moats hasn't seen the field much. He is a liability stopping the run (Raiders and Chiefs had the #1 and #2 rushing attack in 2010) and obviously Chan/Wannastedt know that having a less than 100% Merriman out there is better than having Arthur Moats on the field. Merriman is the least of my defensive worries.

This BNs article was horrible. How can a reporter actually be a good reporter without asking the tough questions - namely the elephant in the room; was Merriman's past greatness just a function of his steroid use? No one wants to unnecessarily dwell on the negative past, but I think this is an important area to discuss.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article578433.ece

Modern Technology can stop an argument cold. "Lights out" needs some better moves.

Merriman was pushing him back into Brady. That made him get rid of it earlier. Darius was doing the same thing. That was a damn good play, especially with a LB clearly outmatching the OL.

Please expand on this because he has not

No, you expand this because he has.

He does indeed. He needs to step it up in other aspects to move Merriman to the sideline, though.

There are two plays where SM made an obvious big play on an outstanding LT... The pick near the end of the first half, there were several accounts that on that play brady had to throw too early before woodheads break because of SM pressure, ealry throw, disrupted timing, tip and pick. Second play on third down tb threw the ball into the ground with SM on his ankles.

He may not be putting up probowler numbers but it is the best play out of the right end / olb in years and it's not even close.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I was one of those that thought Merriman was not doing a whole lot. However I think it has more to do with the schemes the Bills are employing. Against the Raiders the Bills were stacking the box daring Campbell to beat us, which he almost did. Against the Patriots the defense was laying back in coverage rather than pressuring Brady. Both schemes ultimately worked and as a unit the defense played well enough to win.

Against the Bengals today, I expect to see a scheme similar to the Raiders game. Make Andy Dalton beat you.

Bottom line is I believe Merriman is part of a succesful unit, because we are winning, and that is good enough for me.

GO BILLS!

Yes, I was speaking in hyperbole. Merriman is better than Maybin, and I gave him some other praise in the OP.

All I'm saying is the Bills need a better pass rush going forward to keep consistently winning, and that I hope Merriman plays a key part in that.

Let's Go Buffalo

You're blind, if you think he hasn't had an impact.

I must be blind. To be more correct he hasn't made a big impact. I do think he has made an impact over Maybin who couldn't score but I'm not sure about moates. Perhaps he does a better job of setting the edge in the run but I feel Moates would have had a sack or 2 by now if he was still at OLB. I think the Bills have been hiding the fact that he is probably still not healthy and in good football shape.

On some of the plays I see Dareus is getting double blocked, KW, Kelsay and Merriman are being single blocked. KW and Merriman need to beat single blockers.

You should watch the replay of the NE game. He got held... alot

+1

He isnt on every down, but teams respect him when they play him. Pats held him him alot. Wasnt called on one crucial 3rd down in the first half.

He is making an impact. Dont worry so much.........