Clabo

symbiant

Gotta admit I wanted Clabo - not at obscene money, but thought the Bills really needed a RT. Obviously, I was very wrong.

Best line in the article, IMO...

2. Buffalo Bills: How good could these guys be if they didn’t spot opponents three-score leads?

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Since I'm unable to watch any of the games, down here, I'm really interested to hear about this offensive line.

No one expected them to be doing nearly as well as they are.

How much time does Fitz have when he drops back? From what I gather, a lot of his passes are short quick ones. Is it like that, or has he had time to sit back there and check out his option?

While we're at it... are they opening up big holes for Freddie, or is he just sneaking through?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Go Bills

Since I'm unable to watch any of the games, down here, I'm really interested to hear about this offensive line.

How much time does Fitz have when he drops back? From what I gather, a lot of his passes are short quick ones. Is it like that, or has he had time to sit back there and check out his option?

While we're at it... are they opening up big holes for Freddie, or is he just sneaking through?

Go Bills

IMO, it's little of everything, Kiwi. No, he doesn't sit back there and eat a sandwhich (Kent Hull ref.), but Fitz processes very well and has a feel for what should be open from a spread formation. The offense is so threatening, these 1st 3 defenses are respecting him, opening running lanes for the very shifty, still underrated Freddie J.. Bell, Levitre & Wood are in their 3rd year playing together and have truely upped their play consistently. Very few of the missed assignments we've seen previously.The OL is gaining the edge routinely on end runs and Brad Smith's mad skills have been keeping drives alive on 3rd downs, allowing mo' of the same from this very effective offense.

So, in short, Gailey is a great schemer, playing to the strengths of his players.

Again, JMO.

IMO, it's little of everything, Kiwi. No, he doesn't sit back there and eat a sandwhich (Kent Hull ref.), but Fitz processes very well and has a feel for what should be open from a spread formation. The offense is so threatening, these 1st 3 defenses are respecting him, opening running lanes for the very shifty, still underrated Freddie J.. Bell, Levitre & Wood are in their 3rd year playing together and have truely upped their play consistently. Very few of the missed assignments we've seen previously.The OL is gaining the edge routinely on end runs and Brad Smith's mad skills have been keeping drives alive on 3rd downs, allowing mo' of the same from this very effective offense.

So, in short, Gailey is a great schemer, playing to the strengths of his players.

Again, JMO.

I would agee with all of this, it seems to be a combination of:

1 - The scheme, a creative approach that is taking advantage of the personnel.

2 - The perfect QB who can read the D and make quick decisions about where to throw it--thus making any rush inconsequential

3 - A running attach that prefers to go off the edges and create mismatches rather than trying to ran it down the middle

4 - Improved chemistry that comes with time and maturity for offensive lineman

5 - Upgrades of talent on the line: Wood to center--Hangman out, Pears a surprise big upgrade at RT, and the solid play of Urbik and Rhinehart

6 - Added to that, the fact that Levitre and Bell have moved to a new level

7 - And the consistency with which Fred jackson makes something out of nothing, his second effort is incredible, and his stats make the line look better than it is at times--and add Smith's production on 3rd downs here as well.

8 - A real tight end that linebackers must cover instead of creeping in and stuffing the run or rushing the passer (I think this has been vastly over-looked)

Anything I'm missing gang?

Edited by CSBill

Again, JMO.

Lot of credit goes to our underrated WR corps including the TE,

With the quick passes in the spread offense and fitz learning to be accurate opponents have not had time to get to the QB.

The main credit goes to chan for utilizing the available talent and scheming around it. We don't need a evans to stretch the field because players like Nelson and Johnson r able to catch the ball consistently and move the chains

The line has been asked to do simple things and they are doing well

The run blocking is very improved over last year.

The team gets good push and sustain on their run plays and of course, Fred has always had the ability to make his blockers look good.

He often takes the deep hand off from Fitz where he can see the play develop and then just chooses his run lane.

BTW, does any team run the "toss play" anymore. Seems like it's becoming extinct. Fred is a classic I-formation type halfback.

Even more interesting - right now, Fitz is the NFL's best-protected starting QB, having been sacked only once in 111 passing attempts.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

His quick release is making the O-line look better than it is. Fitz is a good fit for this team.

I don't understand why folks think this offense involves a lot of quick passes. Fitz takes a lot of 7 step drops, and has made a lot of deep throws. Sure, there are some quick passes; but I think it's inaccurate to say that those passes characterize our offense.

Yes, he can and does air it out occasionally, but I wouldn't go so far as to say 'a lot of 7 step drops'. Granted, from the shot gun, it only takes 2 steps back to reach 7,but then he's throwing it quick.

Go Bills

All of the above, to my vision. When the pressure is hot, Fitz is snapping out short quick ones. The heat comes, and the ball's already gone. That's being enabled more effectively by the receiver bunching the Wall Street Journal article linked elsewhere describes. At other times, though, Fitz has had time to step up and view the field. IMO this difference has a lot to do with his apparent improved accuracy. That extra half second makes all the difference, even when he's really pushing to come from behind. He has also been less susceptible to batted balls as Wood and the guys on the line have really laid the lumber on some DL who've tried leaping. TAKEDOWN! Very very pretty. I assume Fitz will stand the cleaning costs when someone rolfs red Gatorade down Wood's back as a result of one of those (clean) monster shoulder-to-the-stomach things he does.

Sometimes Freddy is being Freddy and just sneaking through. At other times, he has had some (by FJ standards) monster holes. I saw Levitre just pancake two guys on one play. It was a total thing of beauty, for those who find such things beautiful.

It's not just the line playing well. On the goal-line run v. Pats, Freddy had a monster block laid down for him by Corey McIntyre. Corey had moved to the right before the snap. At the snap, he pivoted left and just laid the Pats DL out. I didn't see who it was, but Corey pwned him big time. FJ has been pwning the backfield as a blocker. Chandler seems like a step up in protection and blocking as well as TE reception, and Nelson and Jones have both been laying down some lumber downfield.

Taken all together, this seems like a much harder-hitting, more physical team this year. Really nice to see - hope it continues.

All in all, I'm liking "Woodshed" as a nickname for our OL 'cuz so far opponents being taken there :devil:

Go Bills

Not to give a lazy answer, but it truly is a perfect amalgamation of everything...this offense is simply clicking on all cylinders, I'd say 85% of the time, every time! Thank Will in Anchor Man for that gem!