How History Repeats Itself, or A Walk Down Memory Lane

Rubes

Okay, so let me start off by saying that this is not another one of those, "Dude, this is so much just like that 1987 team happening again!" posts, but rather an observation that history does tend to repeat itself in curious ways. And that, in this case, there are some interesting stories from the Buffalo News from 1987 that could be played back, almost word for word, with appropriate substitution of names, and you might not even notice that they were written some 24 years ago.

Now, whatever you do, just don't ask how or why I have these stories, or where I dug them up. Suffice it to say that the answer would leave you with mixed feelings of pity and embarrassment towards me. I'll just accept that now and be done with it.

I don't think these stories are available online anywhere, and I asked the mods to make sure this was kosher. If it ends up not being the case, then my apologies, and just take it down. But it's also not the full articles, so, well, there you go.

To set the stage, remember that 1987 was the last time there was a labor stoppage (somewhat similar to this year), although in that case it was in the middle of the season. It was coach Levy's second season with the team. Kelly was on his third season with us. In this case, the players had just come back from the strike, and this was their first game back, against the hated Dolphins in Miami, who by then had made an art form out of crapping on Buffalo teams.

Interestingly, in that game Miami came out hot, and cruised to a huge 21-0 first half lead. Buffalo scraped a FG before the half to make it 21-3, but things looked bleak. Then, in the second half, the Bills exploded. Buffalo pulled it out with a game-winning kick (in OT) to win, as you might guess, 34-31. It was a thrilling win and an amazing comeback against a hated division rival who had pretty much owned the Bills of late. It was a huge victory for the fans and franchise.

This was the column written the following day by Larry Felser. As you read it, think about how it would sound by substituting the Patriots* for the Dolphins, Brady for Marino, and Fitzpatrick for Kelly, among other obvious things. Think about the strike and how it was, in many ways, similar to the lockout we just had. All in all, pretty interesting. Just thought some of you might enjoy it.

Bills Overcome Incredible Odds For Their Best Comeback Ever

by Larry Felser

10/26/87

Miami – What was the word for it? Astonishing? Astounding? Incredible? Historic? Heart-warming?

How about sweet?

"Too sweet," said a smiling Jim Kelly, who should know.

The Bills' 34-31 overtime vanquishing of the Miami Dolphins was the greatest comeback in the history of the Buffalo franchise.

What are the odds against any team, much less the Bills, spotting Dan Marino, possibly the best passer of all time, a 21-point lead and then coming back in the second half to win?

Incalculable, you say? You may be correct.

For four weeks, the Bills, who went out on strike with their union, had gathered at the University of Buffalo stadium to conduct their own practices. The players were proud of that discipline and the unity they felt had been produced by it.

Yet anyone who watched the first 24 minutes of Sunday's game must have thought the Bills were attending class at UB instead of holding football practice.

Their offensive line was sitting in Kelly's lap. Marino was cross-stitching the Buffalo pass defense. There were no holes for the Buffalo runners. On their best chance to score a touchdown, Kelly couldn't find an open Robb Riddick in the end zone. The Dolphins blocked an important field goal that Scott Norwood kicked from point-blank range.

It looked like one of those familiar Everglades excursions, with Miami playing the role of the alligator and the Bills taking the part of the vulnerable duckling.

It also looked like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

All last week, after they returned from the strike, the Bills spoke of how difficult it was to play in the south Florida heat; how Marino could pick apart a team; how the transition from working in a Buffalo autumn to playing under Florida sun could produce enormous fatigue.

From the opening kickoff, the Bills looked as if they were suffering from a combination of fatigue and heat prostration.

When they retreated to the dressing room in Joe Robbie Stadium at halftime, Coach Marv Levy had no magic solution for them, only common sense.

"Miami isn't better than you are," Levy told them. "You're just playing like you think they are."

But no team can live by words alone. The Bills also had Kelly.

If the fourth-quarter comeback against Houston in September established Kelly as a winning quarterback, this game established him as a franchise quarterback.

When the Bills started cranking it up, Kelly never stopped. He completed 20 of his last 22 passes.

A lot of quarterbacks play well if they start well. Others have hot games and cold games.

Kelly is totally unpredictable. He can appear ragged, sloppy, even confused and erratic for a series, a quarter, or a half. It never seems to affect his confidence. He can explode when it is least expected.

Ask the Dolphins.

The immediate effect of the victory is the Bills are tied for first place in their division. The long-range effects include an inflation of confidence.

"I think that was one of the major benefits of the game," said Levy, "what it should do for our confidence as a team."

"It was a great victory for the franchise," said owner Ralph Wilson, enjoying one of his most satisfying football afternoons in years.

For those of you also interested, this game was followed a month later by a complete thrashing of the Dolphins at Rich Stadium (27-0), after which Donn Esmonde wrote a flattering article titled, "Marv Levy: He's a Coach To Appreciate."

Some excerpts:

Based on about one year's worth of evidence, it looks like the Bills, for the first time since Chuck Knox packed his bags in disgust, have themselves a real, live football coach.

For starters, Levy knows what, and who, he wants. That, in itself, is a change from recent history.

Levy's predecessor, Hank Bullough, seemed like an ornery old cuss who wouldn't let sentiment deter progress. Yet Levy, for all his multisyllable words and professorial appearance, has been a lot less wimpish than Bullough was in casting folks adrift.

Veterans Jim Haslett, Ken Jones, and Steve Freeman could've plugged holes for another year or two. But they weren't taking Buffalo to a Super Bowl, and Levy figured it made sense to bring in some younger guys who might.

Greg Bell didn't want to play football in Buffalo. Levy saw to it he was spared the trouble.

The moves weren't lost on Bills General Manager Bill Polian, who previously worked with Levy in Montreal, Kansas City and with the Chicago Blitz.

"He's been far more decisive in carrying out a program here than he was in Chicago," said Polian. "Of course, that was a different situation, with chaotic ownership. But he has a vision of where he wants this team to go."

Levy is nobody's hero or villain, just a guy who makes it simple: Here's the job. Do it capably and you stay. Screw it up too often, and we'll get somebody who's better.

Judging from the way this team has not quit on him, it's a style the players appreciate.

Judging by what we've seen so far, Buffalo finally has a coach worth appreciating.

Not exactly a revelation, but still, an interesting perspective that could also be applied to Gailey. I just thought it an interesting trip down memory lane, with a number of curious similarities.

For all you guys missing Felser you've got him right now in Jerry Sullivan. I can remember reading him (Felser) in successive weeks calling for Kellys removal as the starting quarterback and then comparing him to Roger Staubach the very next week. He was even more wishy washy than Sully.

Edited by wnyguy

For all you guys missing Felser you've got him right now in Jerry Sullivan. I can remember reading him (Felser) in successive weeks calling for Kellys removal as the starting quarterback and then comparing him to Roger Staubach the very next week. He was even more wishy washy than Sully.

I can't remember that specifically, but I will say that I disagree in general. Felser is/was a much more knowledgeable sports writer than Sully could ever be.

Not a perfect analogy but certainly some very interesting parallels. Thanks for sharing Rube. Someday would love to hear your story and we'll all agree to leave the embarrassment/pity at the door.

If Chan becomes anywhere near as successful as Levy and if Fitz becomes even close to as good as Kelly, I'll be one ecstatic fan.

I can't remember that specifically, but I will say that I disagree in general. Felser is/was a much more knowledgeable sports writer than Sully could ever be.

Larry is extremely knowledgeable on the great game of football and in particular Bills football. Heck of a nice guy who would always take a minute to talk.

I still miss Larry Felser's "Monday Morning Quarterback" show on WBEN every Monday after a game. The Who's Who of Bills player, coaches, GM's and scouts that Felser had invited to be on his show will sadly never be matched by any local radio host. They came on his show because they respected him and knew that Larry knew his stuff and was fair in any criticism that might come their way in either press or print. The three who made on most shows on a regular basis were, Bill Polian, The late John Butler and Buddy Nix

1987 was Kelly's 2nd as the Bills' starter. As one of the originators of the 1986/1987 to 2010/2011 comparisons, I think this more evidence that this is a fair one to make. I felt the need to remind some (the young or the pessimistically old) what it looks like when the light comes on and the party starts. Hold on to your seats-it's going to be a wild ride, I hope.

Yes, Levy was considered a joke hiring in '86 and still didn't have a lot of respect around the league until '90 or so. But let's also recall that in addition to giving the youngsters a shot, Levy & Polian brought in a lot of veterans to round out the roster.

The analogy I would draw is that in both cases Bills may have stumbled onto a perfect match between a QB and the offenisve coordinator. Who knows what the '87/'88 Bills would turn out to be if Ted Tollner or Bobby Ross stuck around insteda of Ted Marchibroda. Would they have adopted K-Gun? Can't really tell. But the current Gailey/Fitz combination is fun to watch.

That was a fantastic trip down memory lane, and it's funny how coaches that take a no nonsense approach to the fundamentals of the game tend to get winning results. If a guy is not performing, find a player that can do it better, mind blisteringly simple.

How many coaches in the past has this team had that simply couldn't grasp this concept? Losman, Edwards, Lynch, McGahee, Whitner, Posluzny, Evans... these players were all replaceable, and needed to go, simply because there were able bodies that could be found to do the job better. Marv Levy went through it in 1986/87, and Chan Gailey is doing it in 2010/11. I have not been one bit upset or surprised that any of these guys are no longer here, they never proved they were elite, so why would anyone want to keep them around?

I hope this is just the beginning for this team, God only knows it's about time.

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed it.

The story is basically this: I was in college at that time, and since there was no internet, the only way I got my Bills news was by my stepmother sending me the Buffalo News sports sections in the mail every week. I must have sensed at the time in 1987 that something special was brewing, and I started saving some of the clips. It was right after that 34-31 Dolphins game that the trade for Bennett happened, and I have a bunch of clips from that, too. When the 1988 season started, I pretty much saved all the clips from that year, too. I had them sitting in a book all these years and somehow it made its way through the years in my boxes of crap, until I dug it out the other day.

Actually, the main reason I thought to dig it out was a picture I saw online after the Pats* game with Fitz and Jackson walking together on the field arm in arm after the game and hollering to the crowd. It reminded me of a picture from that 1987 season that I had saved, but it turns out it was after the 27-0 thrashing of Miami later in the year. It was a picture of Kelly and Bennett, also embraced and hollering at the crowd after the game. After digging it out to take a look, I came across that Felser article from the earlier win, and I thought it was quite uncanny.

Anyway, there you have it.

Yes, Levy was considered a joke hiring in '86 and still didn't have a lot of respect around the league until '90 or so. But let's also recall that in addition to giving the youngsters a shot, Levy & Polian brought in a lot of veterans to round out the roster.

The analogy I would draw is that in both cases Bills may have stumbled onto a perfect match between a QB and the offenisve coordinator. Who knows what the '87/'88 Bills would turn out to be if Ted Tollner or Bobby Ross stuck around insteda of Ted Marchibroda. Would they have adopted K-Gun? Can't really tell. But the current Gailey/Fitz combination is fun to watch.

You don't know the half of it... look at these interesting photos (for real, not a joke):

Marv Levy

Chan Gailey

The NFL has a funny kind of redemption for certain men who finally figure it all out. I so enjoyed those articles!

1987 was Kelly's 2nd as the Bills' starter. As one of the originators of the 1986/1987 to 2010/2011 comparisons, I think this more evidence that this is a fair one to make. I felt the need to remind some (the young or the pessimistically old) what it looks like when the light comes on and the party starts. Hold on to your seats-it's going to be a wild ride, I hope.

Good catch. Not sure why I thought it was his 3rd season.