Atmosphere at the Ralph

Hey Hey

It wasn't the playoffs, it was Sept, 1990. I remember seeing it on TV at home....

http://buffalowdown.com/2011/07/16/classic-bills-video-of-the-week-bills-storm-back-to-beat-broncos/

September 30, 1990. I remember because I visited my dad in the hospital the next day and was telling him about the game (I had season tickets). He died about a half hour later.

Sunday was great but, honestly I think the Dallas MNF game was the craziest ever. Maybe because we were winning early there. Brady shut us up pretty good the first half.

PTR

Yeah, that MNF game was bizarrely loud. I've been to maybe 40 games over the years (don't live in the area) including playoff games in the 90s and including the Jets division clinching game in 88, which I would have said was the loudest till the Dallas game.

Don't know what it was about that Dallas game (I guess the Monday night atmosphere after so long?), but it was absolutely deafening. Literally. My 68-year old father's ears were actually ringing for WEEKS after that game. It messed him up (though he enjoyed it).

Was anyone there when Biils came back from 22-7 to beat Broncos with 3TDs in 1:17? How did it compare to that? Ref had to quiet the crowd

Yes, and it was delirium! I've been to too many games to remember -back to the Rockpile. I wasn't there Sunday, but it hasn't reached fever pitch like the old days except the MNF vs. Dallas.

The product simply hasn't merited it. -until now.

Was anyone there when Biils came back from 22-7 to beat Broncos with 3TDs in 1:17? How did it compare to that? Ref had to quiet the crowd

I was at that one...very reminiscent of the recent comebacks. Crowd was pretty dead, but woke up in a hurry after Bennett's blocked FG return and then it got crazy.

Honestly, it's tough to "rank" the crowds during all of the great games mentioned. Suffice it to say that last week and this week, the atmosphere at RWS was better than it's been at any point over the last decade (with the one exception being Dallas on MNF).

Yeah, that MNF game was bizarrely loud. I've been to maybe 40 games over the years (don't live in the area) including playoff games in the 90s and including the Jets division clinching game in 88, which I would have said was the loudest till the Dallas game.

Don't know what it was about that Dallas game (I guess the Monday night atmosphere after so long?), but it was absolutely deafening. Literally. My 68-year old father's ears were actually ringing for WEEKS after that game. It messed him up (though he enjoyed it).

You got to remember that Dallas game was like the perfect storm. Columbus Day Weekend, first Monday night game in how long, weather was sunny & 80 degrees the parking lots were jammed packed at 4:00 pm. I also thought the Denver AGC Championship game when Bailey intercepted for a pick six was one of the loudest. I have that game on tape & the network actually had a noise meter to measure the decibel level & it hit all the way up to a Jet Airplane that day. Yesterday's game ranks up there though. Little disappointed the fans did not rush the field though.

Gotta disagree with this.....that Dallas game was epic loud

That game was the only game I remember where the noise didn't drop between plays. The roar was constant, a combination of cheers, chants of "Ro-mo, Ro-mo", and people beating on chairbacks.

I agree it was the thrill of being on MNF for the first time in years. People had been drinking all day. There was some kind of party with a live band at scoreboard end lot. We weren't good so when we jumped out to a big lead early people were psyched.

I won't rehash how the game ended.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I've been to about 50 games including a Monday Night game. Sunday's Patriots game was as loud as I've ever heard the stadium. I'm not old enought to have experienced a home playoff game in the 90's. Can anyone compare the noise and atmosphere from our glory days to Sunday? This was the most fun I've ever had at a game. Freddy waving the flag after, the noise, and the win. Man that was awesome.

All, need some help. Want to take my son to the Philly game. What is best ticket "acquisition" strategy for game day? Not sure I care when I get in the stadium, within reason.

This was one of the loudest games I remember being at: youtube.com/watch?v=tX8DTfuCxKs

The playoff clinching game in 1988 when we were just on the edge of greatness.

Thanks so much for that video! What great memories it brought back. I'm thankful that my prime as a Bills' fan was during that era. I'm ready for my twilight with these new "Brand X" kids that are now our Bills. I hope that people keep on not knowing who these new kids are and that they keep on bringing the wood as they shock the world! Lol!

Sunday was great but, honestly I think the Dallas MNF game was the craziest ever. Maybe because we were winning early there. Brady shut us up pretty good the first half.

PTR

Agreed MNF in 07 was like you heard it int he 4th quarter for the whole game, plus a little louder on defense. 4th quarter of that game when we were on defense (MNF) was the loudest I have seen, and I have been to Hundreds of games since the Late 90's.

All, need some help. Want to take my son to the Philly game. What is best ticket "acquisition" strategy for game day? Not sure I care when I get in the stadium, within reason.

I have 2 for sale for $200 ea...about 40$ cheaper than you'll find them for on stub hub after fees. sect 136 row 21, sun behind you, and behind Bills bench on the 20 yrd line.

Loudest games I've been to... 88 AFC east clincher, 1990 AFC Championship, Dallas MNF, Sunday night opener against the Titans after HR throwback, Pats opener in 2003, Pats this past weekend, and If I recall correctly, there was a rainy monday night game against the Rams where Reich started back in the early 90's that was pretty loud as well

Loudest games I've been to... 88 AFC east clincher, 1990 AFC Championship, Dallas MNF, Sunday night opener against the Titans after HR throwback, Pats opener in 2003, Pats this past weekend, and If I recall correctly, there was a rainy monday night game against the Rams where Reich started back in the early 90's that was pretty loud as well

I only saw that one on TV, but even so you could tell it was fierce in the Ralph. That was another strange game to me. Maybe the most tense/intense game I've ever seen the Bills play (not the best or most dramatic or whatever, just . . . tense). Usually I have lots of emotional ups and downs during any given game, but that game I remember my stomach was just in this kind of grim knot the entire game. Like I was pushing a rock up a hill for three hours. I was exhausted afterward.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Remember the days where the home team would get an unsportsmanlike penalty if the crowd was too loud? WTF were they ever thinking with a rule like that.

I distinctly remember a game against the Broncos where we got penalized a time out for being too loud. Crowd only got louder and on Elway more.

Almost as bad a rule as the moving the kickoff back to the 35

My father was at that game. I was just a little kid. I remember how pumped he was about it afterward. Said it was the loudest event he'd been to.