I hate myself for starting this thread....

DUFF

I prefaced this thread by saying i hate myself for posting this. I am totally excited about this win, and am not one to piss in anyones cornflakes. This was a huge win, and this team is my favorite in the last 30 years of following the Bills. I know the first two games were geared towards stopping the run, but this was supposed to be a game where we were getting after the qb (at least according to most on this board). The win is all that matters but is anyone else concerned that there wasn't much pressure on Brady today? I'm no expert just a fan, so im throwing this out to you guys on the forum who maybe understand the strategy, or reason behind this. Did we not blitz cause we didn't want brady to exploit us, or did we blitz, and just werent very successful??

Major Props for this Game:

* Fitz- never gave up and is a true leader!

* Fred- not only running, recieving, but holy sh$t I never realized how amazing he was as a blocker too! (i saw him drive his man back literally 5 yards on one play, and made that monster of a man on the pats see stars on another.)

*Stevie, Jones, Nelson- WHAT??? anyone still think we don't have good recievers?

* Byrd- seemed to be in on almost every tackle....want more picks, but he is playing well.

GO Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see any blitzes, but even so, I was disappointed by the complete lack of any pressure on Brady. I'd say it's a cause for concern for sure, but if the Bills can beat the Pats even without that, I'd say it puts the Bills into the category of good teams with a major weak spot - of which I think there are many in the league.

When you get 4 interceptions off of Brady, you're doing something right. It may not have been the fan-preferred way of stoping Brady, but it was effective nonetheless.

Brady threw 4 interceptions all of last year. In one game, he threw two red-zone ints and had one returned for a TD. In the 2011 version of the NFL, that's pretty good defense.

When you get 4 interceptions off of Brady, you're doing something right. It may not have been the fan-preferred way of stoping Brady, but it was effective nonetheless.

Brady threw 4 interceptions all of last year. In one game, he threw two red-zone ints and had one returned for a TD. In the 2011 version of the NFL, that's pretty good defense.

Exactly my thoughts.

I will ad that I think the Bills decided to avoid the blitz's to try to gain better coverage. I am more concerned with our man-to-man coverage ability, especially now that we only have 3CB's. Kelsay was in spyboy mode, just trying to get in Brady's line of vision to keep the middle clogged up. It says a lot that Gronkowski and Welker got open like they did and ruined our CB's. I am hoping we get a big body CB to battle these guys as a nickel package guy.

Also, I do not know the stat for today but I remember Brady being able to scramble against us in the past and not hearing it today. We may not have shut down Brady in the sense that many would think but we effectively caused him to lose the game.

I think there was pressure, not the fear of getting sacked kind, but hands up, taking away the short stuff (the Welker stats notwithstanding), and getting four interceptions . . . yeah, lots of yards, but they did hold them to 10 points after the bad start

and really, no running to speak of

Thanks for the replies: I hated to be the guy who brings up the negative (see my contradictory post titled: "dont NOT get too giddy over that win") but i'll admit that i don't really understand blitz packages. My understanding is only when I see brady knocked on his arse...which i didn't see much of. some posters were saying that Merriman has been ineffective, which i don't want to believe after his breakout performance during preseason. I knew games 1 and 2 were geared towards stopping the run...but i thought this would be a blitz fest today. Either way i don't care.....agree with the other posters that 4 ints on brady was a very effective way to stop brady, but i am wondering what happened to the pressure that we saw in preseason? ( I know pre-season is different then reg season,not game planning, and all that...but i also saw merriman and dareus man-handling their opponents and getting to the qb...is there any other reason that this isn't the case now?)

We're all happy with the results of the day.

That said, not getting pressure on the QB with your front-4 is a recipe for disaster. It's something that needs to change.

But let's focus on that tomorrow. Today it's all about BILLS WIN. BILLS WIN. BILLS WIN!!!!!

Edited by Campy

I think there was pressure, not the fear of getting sacked kind, but hands up, taking away the short stuff (the Welker stats notwithstanding), and getting four interceptions . . . yeah, lots of yards, but they did hold them to 10 points after the bad start

and really, no running to speak of

There was definitely pressure at times. I commented on one of Brady's picks that they were pushing the pocket, which hindered his ability to really step into it. Can't remember which one though.

I agree about the lack of pressure, but let's face it, Brady seems to have all day in the pocket regardless of who they play. Meriman is hurt, somethings not right with him. When he gets right, look out! With Merriman and Dareus not yet hitting their stride this season, the best is yet to come with this Defense.

Yes, without question. They have done a nice job putting some of the pieces in place on the defensive side, but it's obviously not there yet when they get torched for 30+ two games in a row. They desparately need a stud pass rushing DE or LB.

And they better get someone who can cover Gronkowski or he's gonna kill them for the next ten years.

When the Giants beat the Pats in the Superbowl, they didn't get any sacks on Brady. But what they did do was exactly what the defense did today: Clog up his passing lanes, knock him around a little, and get him off his rhythm. It would sure be nice to get 4 or 5 sacks on him, but usually the defense has to blitz, and if they don't get to him he carves them up. So the key is to generate enough pressure to make him uncomfortable, switch up the looks and coverages enough to keep him guessing.

There was definitely pressure at times. I commented on one of Brady's picks that they were pushing the pocket, which hindered his ability to really step into it. Can't remember which one though.

Yeah, I thought that in the second half the middle of the Pats line was moving backward a lot and looking shaky. It made Brady a little uncomfortable. When he sees that he still doesn't get sacked, but he does let the ball fly maybe earlier than he wants to. Not exactly the 85 Bears, but I thought that was encouraging.

It was the scheme. They were only sending 3 and 4 pass rushers. On third and 8+ they were only sending 3.

What's scary there is how many times NE guys were wide open when we had 8 covering 5.

We're all happy with the results of the day.

That said, not getting pressure on the QB with your front-4 is a recipe for disaster. It's something that needs to change.

Totally AGREE.

There were some holds on Merriman that were horribly missed. :(

But yeah, we need to generate a pass rush.

agreed. one really, really bad one was w/ matt light on him... brady would have been sacked if light didn't hold him. incidentally enough, there wasn't a flag and brady got like a 30 yard pass to gronkowski. merriman hasn't really been getting the calls he should this year.

they did get a little pressure didnt seem like they tried to push it with anything special like blitzes and such. but my god nobody can cover welker! but that was an incredible game and fitz was awesome again as well as the rest of the offense, especially Freddie!!! GO BILLS!!!