Stevie and Bills $2M apart

CBD

I really don't think Stevie will, but I think he has the potential to pull a Vincent Jackson. I really don't want that. He is too good and worth the pay day. Fitz, in my mind has proven he is the guy around here for the next 6-8 years. He is 28 I think, so we get him under contract until he is 34-36 years old and we'll be ok. We have Thigpen for a few years and then 3-4 years down the road we draft and groom a QB for 3-4 years. Freddie deserves a pay raise. If he does not get a new contract he should hold out next year. I would not have any problem with that. He is deserving and should use the only leverage he has in order to get paid. Since he is only in his third year of carrying the load I can see him playing for 3-4 more years. Maybe not as the featured back down the road, but certainly as the 3rd down back.

Whoa down there big fella.. Look, I like SJ, RF, and FJ, heck I love our team, but football is a business, and players are comodoties. Not saying these guys haven't earned pay-days, but a 2 - 0 start is hardly a time to rush into anything. We have plenty of time here, and yes we run the risk of having to pay more, but so what. If the guys perform beyond expectations, then yeah, they deserve big-time money. If we go from a 4 - 12 team to a 10 - 6 team, does that really translate into 3 mill more a season for a player? Nope.. If we win a super bowl, does that translate? Yeah probably, but so what, so we pay em. So we offer 6m to SJ, but he wants 8m. I say, ok, let's wait and see if you're truly worht 8 big one's a year.

It's called negotiating.. You always want to negotiate from a position of strength. The position of the Bills FO is stronger than the position that SJ, and or RF have ATM. In my opinion of course. :)

Tim-

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering he had a breakout year with 82 catches last year for over 1000 yards and 10 TDs, he is already on pace for 96 catches and over 1200 yards and just as many TDs. I think he has shown that he is no fluke and he deserves the $8M/year.

If not, he always has his rap career to fall back on.

Calvin Johnson: 6 years, $55.5 million + 8.5 million in incentives

Andre Johnson: 7 years, $63 million

Reggie Wayne I'll give you (for now), he's on the last year of his deal and making $6 million

But if you want to talk sky high, here's a reason why I think new receiver contracts might be higher than you expect...

Larry Fitzgerald: 8 years, $128.5 million

And the franchise tag is $11.5 million. So at $8 million Johnson would be coming in under the money currently being paid to some of the top receivers and, I would guess, under the contracts you will see more and more players getting.

Salaries are going up. The top WRs are going to be topping $10 million per year in their next deals, as we've seen with Fitz.

8 mil per season for stevie is a no-brainer.

Steve isnt in their class, and the Bills wont be paying him as such. The dude had 80 catches last year, and alsmost the same numbers as Hakeem Nicks. You think Nicks is worth $8M?

He's playing well, but you dont give a 4th year player with 100 career catch $8 million a year.

Steve isnt in their class, and the Bills wont be paying him as such. The dude had 80 catches last year, and alsmost the same numbers as Hakeem Nicks. You think Nicks is worth $8M?

He's playing well, but you dont give a 4th year player with 100 career catch $8 million a year.

What separates SJ from other receivers IMO is his ability to score touchdowns. He tied the all-time Bills record for scores last year (and very likely would have broke it if he didn't have to play with Trent and Brohm for three games). And now he has scored in each of the first two. He has star quality and all he does is score touchdowns. That's an invaluable and quite unusual skill. I guess he needs to prove it over the season but I would bet anyone that he scores 10+ this year, too if he is healthy.

What separates SJ from other receivers IMO is his ability to score touchdowns. He tied the all-time Bills record for scores last year (and very likely would have broke it if he didn't have to play with Trent and Brohm for three games). And now he has scored in each of the first two. He has star quality and all he does is score touchdowns. That's an invaluable and quite unusual skill. I guess he needs to prove it over the season but I would bet anyone that he scores 10+ this year, too if he is healthy.

True, he did have good TD #s last year, but not elite. Dwayne bowe scored 15 on a team that primarily ran the ball.

Stevie is a clutch player but he's not explosive, he doesnt have a lot of big/long catches that the elite receivers do. All the best have for more 20+yard plays than stevie, almost double in fact.

stevie is good and he will get better, we hope of course. But as other have said, its a business and thats how negotiations go, they break down numbers of similar players and contracts.

I have yet to see anything to support stevie getting $8M year. here are $8m guys http://www.numeroten.com/top10/sports/files/top-10-highest-paid-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl-2011.html

Considering he had a breakout year with 82 catches last year for over 1000 yards and 10 TDs, he is already on pace for 96 catches and over 1200 yards and just as many TDs. I think he has shown that he is no fluke and he deserves the $8M/year.

If not, he always has his rap career to fall back on.

Brady is on pace to throw for almost 8,000 yards.. think he's going to do that? I'm not saying we shouldnt sign Stevie, I think we we should. But 2 games is a very small sample size

True, he did have good TD #s last year, but not elite. Dwayne bowe scored 15 on a team that primarily ran the ball.

Stevie is a clutch player but he's not explosive, he doesnt have a lot of big/long catches that the elite receivers do. All the best have for more 20+yard plays than stevie, almost double in fact.

stevie is good and he will get better, we hope of course. But as other have said, its a business and thats how negotiations go, they break down numbers of similar players and contracts.

I have yet to see anything to support stevie getting $8M year. here are $8m guys http://www.numeroten...e-nfl-2011.html

It's hard to say what he is worth, and there are not a lot of WR like him. And you're right, he doesn't make a lot of plays deep.

Last year, there were 10 WRs that scored 10 or more TDs.

2009 there were 6

2008 there were 6

2007 there were 10

2006 there were 5

So that's about 7-8 a year that do it. Not much. And if you were to say how many get 80 catches for 1000 yards and 10 TDs it's about 5 per year.

He hasn't done the 80-1000-10 for the second year yet, but by the time he gets a contract signed, we'll probably have a good idea if he will make it again.

I'd say he needs to be paid between 7-8 per year, but I want to wait until half this season is over with before I make that offer. It could change.

I have yet to see anything to support stevie getting $8M year. here are $8m guys http://www.numeroten.com/top10/sports/files/top-10-highest-paid-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl-2011.html

5 more catches and 2 less touchdowns than Calvin Johnson last year. Dwayne Bowe had 15 TD catches because he was the one bright spot at wide receiver. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but their wideouts suck save for Dwayne Bowe. Go look at last years stats, Steve Johnson is a top 10 wide receiver. I guess that means he isn't worth 8 million a year. Closer to 10 mil/yr.

Fair and Balanced...that makes sense. I bet he will do it, unless he gets hurt. I don't see him slowing down. The people who think it will be in the 5-6 million a year range must be thinking about a David Nelson extension.

"I have yet to see anything to support stevie getting $8M year. here are $8m guys http://www.numeroten...e-nfl-2011.html "

Really? You are going to post a link that contains Miles Austin and tell us that Steve isn't worth the money Austin is making? You did look at what he did last year compared to Steve Johnson didn't you?

Edited by Chimp

I don't know either way whether they are talking or not about a contract. There is a very good chance that Stevie himself doesn't know.

Players will often tell their agents they really don't want to talk about the contract during the year, they have enough to worry about. And that is what SJ just said in his tweets. But that doesn't at all preclude his agent and the Bills from talking. The agent knows what Stevie will accept and wants. If he gets it from the team, and likes it, he calls SJ up and says "The Bills made an offer. I think you should accept it." If he doesn't get what he wants, he doesn't bring it up unless SJ asks.