Lindell

Stormin Norman

I don't know that I've seen this discussed before. I'd like to know if I am the only one who feels this way.

In my gut, I have a nagging lack of confidence in Rian Lindell. He's great at nailing the 52 yarder in a blowout loss but can't hit the 30 yard kick when the team absolutely needs to come away with points. Anyone else have the same viewpoint?

I know the kick was blocked, but I still wonder how clutch he really is.

Edited by Stormin Norman

I don't know that I've seen this discussed before. I'd like to know if I am the only one who feels this way.

In my gut, I have a nagging lack of confidence in Rian Lindell. He's great at nailing the 52 yarder in a blowout loss but can't hit the 30 yard kick when the team absolutely needs to come away with points. Anyone else have the same viewpoint?

I know the kicks was blocked, but I still wonder how clutch he really is.

Tough to spilt the uprights when the kick is blocked...Lindell is one of the most accurate kickers (if not the most accurate) in the history of the team.

This, Lindell has been on of the most consistent kickers the past few years. Why the hate?

There's no hate. It may be simply because there haven't been many meaningful kicks in these past few dreadful seasons. Every game has important turning points and it seems when he misses it's at those moments. It's really not a criticism of Rian. It"s more of a gut feel.

With that said, overall I agree he has been consistent for the Bills.

I know the kicks was blocked, but I still wonder how clutch he really is.

I use 2.....but compared to most nfl kicker he is actually pretty decent in the clutch

There's no hate. It may be simply because there haven't been many meaningful kicks in these past few dreadful seasons. Every game has important turning points and it seems when he misses it's at those moments. It's really not a criticism of Rian. It"s more of a gut feel.

With that said, overall I agree he has been consistent for the Bills.

Here's the thing, you acknowledged in your first post the kick was blocked but still wanted to make an issue out of it. That's not a fair assessment of Lindell.

If anything take issue with the guys in front of Lindell that are supposed to be blocking for him, most of the time when Lindell gets a clean kick its points on the board.

I know the kick was blocked, but I still wonder how clutch he really is.

DId you watch his kickoffs?

He was upset at the game-opening touchback. He clearly did NOT want a touchback.

Every other kickoff after that--until the last one--was high and into the right corner. I don't believe the Raiders crossed the 15 on a return except ONCE (they got to the 18).

That's all planned and carefully kicked.

(I must correct myself; after the FJ 1-yd run, kicking off from the 50, there was a touchback. No easy way out of that one, though.)

He had a great game, and yes, I do know he had one blocked.

Lindell was one of the best defensive players out there today. And I'm not his biggest fan. But today? Today he was pretty freaking good.

He was upset at the game-opening touchback. He clearly did NOT want a touchback.

Every other kickoff after that--until the last one--was high and into the right corner. I don't believe the Raiders crossed the 15 on a return except ONCE (they got to the 18).

(I must correct myself; after the FJ 1-yd run, kicking off from the 50, there was a touchback. No easy way out of that one, though.)

Lindell was one of the best defensive players out there today. And I'm not his biggest fan. But today? Today he was pretty freaking good.

+1 Good post.

+1 Good post.

Thanks; it was a point of discussion in the Bills IRC chat; we were all over what Lindell was doing with the kickoffs.

BTW, if you're not at the game, I highly recommend the IRC chat, even if you can see the game on TV. It's fun to share with other Bills fans, and Fezmid does a decent play-by-play.

irc.webmaster.com and the chatroom is #gobuffalo . Every week.

Agreed. The Bills seem to be on to something with the new kickoff placement. While everyone else seems content to kick the ball into the endzone and let the other team start at 20, for 2 weeks the Bills have been directional kicking to right about the goal line. And more often than not, the opposing team is starting inside the 20. Interesting strategy.