Syracuse Pitt to ACC

moorman8

As a purely Syracuse college b-ball fan, I hate it.

It's going to be the demise of what is now the strongest conference in college basketball.

Oh, and, no more BET's at Madison Square Garden?

I would not be shocked to see Boeheim retire upon the move.

Yeah, I can't stand the move myself. Hate that rivalries with Gtown and UConn will be lost. Hate that that SU won't have BETs in MSG. Hate that I'll have to see SU get !@#$ed by the refs twice a year against Duke. Hate that ACC sucks in football.

Yeah, I can't stand the move myself. Hate that rivalries with Gtown and UConn will be lost. Hate that that SU won't have BETs in MSG. Hate that I'll have to see SU get !@#$ed by the refs twice a year against Duke. Hate that ACC sucks in football.

Wow, a lot of hate.

UNC gets more calls then Duke. the ACC does not suck in football. VT, Maryland, BC, Miami, Clemson, NCSU, Wake are all as equally good as 'Cuse. Historically speaking, I would argue the Big East has not had the success the ACC has had in football - although I do not know this to be true....

better Cuse than somebody like UCONN or WVU. Big East is Gonna be dead in 3-4 yrs, better get while the gettin is good

I think that this is the biggest reason why they have to go & go now.

I'd much prefer to see SU in the Big XX, a renewed rivalry with PSU would be a great thing IMO, strong football programs, strong BB programs. The fact that they are looking at the ACC tells me that they've been rebuffed by the Big 10.

This is being discussed in the college forum... whose link on the main board is currently located in the Siberia that is beneath the Trading Post, Tailgate forum and Fantasy Football. More college sports talk happens on OTW than in the college forum. Anyway....

And Dave gavitt dies...omen? I say "yes"

Yep, it looks like his league all but died on the same day as he did. I suppose it's kind of poetic.

Geno Auriemma, as quoted today:

"Dave was a great man; a renaissance man who was at the forefront of all that was good in college basketball. One reason I wanted to coach at UConn was so that I could be in Dave Gavitt's league. And 27 years later, I'm still not in his league and never will be.

Without Dave there is no Big East and without the Big East there would never have been a UConn, as we have come to know it.

While the Big East bridge has now evidently come to its end and schools will be taking their turns onto other routes, the path did get us to where we are, which is where we needed to be. Thanks for your contributions, Mr. Gavitt. RIP.

better Cuse than somebody like UCONN or WVU. Big East is Gonna be dead in 3-4 yrs, better get while the gettin is good

The Hartford Courant has reported that UConn has had discussions with the ACC.

This is a good piece by Jeff Jacobs, a heck of a sportswriter, on the situation of the past few days. Link.

There is a great line in "Camino Real" by playwright Tennessee Williams: "We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal."

After Miami and Virginia Tech bolted the Big East in 2004 and Boston College followed in 2005, UConn fans should be long past the anger, the feelings of betrayal that come with conference defections. Member schools no longer are brothers with like minds and similar missions. They are corporate mergers of convenience that will separate at the very scent of money.

Pittsburgh chancellor Mark Nordenberg is chairman of the Big East executive committee, which one Big East official told CBSSports.com is tantamount to having the "fox in the henhouse." One minute, he's helping to run the league. The next he's putting a 2-by-4 to the league's head. Conference loyalty? That's even funnier than the notion of student-athlete.

An announcement, according to some reports, could come as quickly as Sunday.

Until this national realignment, this state of panic gives evidence of resolution, distrust and suspicion must be guiding forces for UConn.

"We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple," Syracuse Chancellor Nancy Cantor said in a release. "Overall, for Syracuse, this opportunity provides long-term conference stability in what is an uncertain, evolving, and rapidly shifting national landscape."

Does she not know where her school is?

sadly though, this speeds up the inevitable that Boeheim is probably one more year. I know people don't love him, but he is as much Syracuse as anything else...and no way he sticks around for the new lack of home schedule he's been able to dictate all these years.

Being more of a basketball fan of the program, I'm not sure how I feel about this. It was always fun for me ripping on the overrated ACC. As a founding member of the Big East it just doesn't feel right.

The positive spin: I'm sure in time I will get over it. Lets face it - the Georgetown rivalry, like Bills-Dolphins, has lost a lot of its luster. A Big East conference including Lousiville, Marquette & Depaul is ridiculous anyway. I think those that think this will make Boeheim retire earlier than he otherwise would have are mistaken. If you actually listen carefully to some of his pressers and interviews, he is more adaptable to change and less "old school" than you might think for an old guy. I've already hear rumors that the ACC may include MSG in their tourney rotation, which would be nice.

As for football, who cares really. Ask any fan 8 years ago their biggest rivals and BC, VT, & Miami would all be in their top 5. The only 'rivalry' worth a damn they lose is West Virginia. Plus they ensure being in the BCS so it makes sense.

i hope you are right...but hopkins isn't gonna sit around waiting for ever and i think boeheim needs a good 'out' this could be that...i think bernie fine goes out next year...boeheim does his swan song the following year......but that is just my gut reaction...not based on anything more than that

Being more of a basketball fan of the program, I'm not sure how I feel about this. It was always fun for me ripping on the overrated ACC. As a founding member of the Big East it just doesn't feel right.

The positive spin: I'm sure in time I will get over it. Lets face it - the Georgetown rivalry, like Bills-Dolphins, has lost a lot of its luster. A Big East conference including Lousiville, Marquette & Depaul is ridiculous anyway. I think those that think this will make Boeheim retire earlier than he otherwise would have are mistaken. If you actually listen carefully to some of his pressers and interviews, he is more adaptable to change and less "old school" than you might think for an old guy. I've already hear rumors that the ACC may include MSG in their tourney rotation, which would be nice.

As for football, who cares really. Ask any fan 8 years ago their biggest rivals and BC, VT, & Miami would all be in their top 5. The only 'rivalry' worth a damn they lose is West Virginia. Plus they ensure being in the BCS so it makes sense.