Syracuse Pitt to ACC

moorman8

Welcome to the ACC guys! The ACC is already working on adding MSG into the ACC basketball tourney rotation.

Good to have Pitt around to add some decent football talent, and hopefully 'Cuse can step up their game. As far as basketball, i like how it strengthens the conference even more. Looking forward to seeing FSU get to play 'Cuse in b-ball.

For the rest of the big least whiners, WVU is soon to be member #14 of the SEC, so don't count on them staying. the Big least is going to become a basketball-only conference.

i hope you are right...but hopkins isn't gonna sit around waiting for ever and i think boeheim needs a good 'out' this could be that...i think bernie fine goes out next year...boeheim does his swan song the following year......but that is just my gut reaction...not based on anything more than that

Yah I mean it is possible that he's gone in another couple years. In fact he hinted as much after the St John's game I think (something like "I can't do many more of these")? I just don't think it will be because of this.

Hopkins isn't going anywhere unless he gets a sweet offer from a good 'down' program looking for a coach - say an Indiana or something (and honestly a program like that will likely be able to pick from more proven guys). He wisely turned down Providence last yr 'cause he knew that wouldn't do his career any good.

i hope you are right...but hopkins isn't gonna sit around waiting for ever and i think boeheim needs a good 'out' this could be that...i think bernie fine goes out next year...boeheim does his swan song the following year......but that is just my gut reaction...not based on anything more than that

I agree with your points. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Welcome to the ACC guys! The ACC is already working on adding MSG into the ACC basketball tourney rotation.

Good to have Pitt around to add some decent football talent, and hopefully 'Cuse can step up their game. As far as basketball, i like how it strengthens the conference even more. Looking forward to seeing FSU get to play 'Cuse in b-ball.

For the rest of the big least whiners, WVU is soon to be member #14 of the SEC, so don't count on them staying. the Big least is going to become a basketball-only conference.

Responding to a mix of this thread and the one in the college forum....

UConn has apparently begun talking with the ACC (the new U president basically had the AD axed a couple of weeks ago... probably in no small part because he's been intransigent about staying in a dying Big East), and word is that the ACC might also add either Louisville or Rutgers to get to the magic 16.

Either way, my alma mater can't stay there. This state/U has invested WAY too much $ (in our nascent 10 years in D-1 football) on a 40,000-seat stadium and a training center on campus that ranks in the top practice facilities nationally to remain in a conference without a BCS tie-in. There's too much riding on it; the Big East as we knew it is done and it's time to move on now.

Edited by UConn James

UConn has apparently begun talking with the ACC (the new U president basically had the AD axed a couple of weeks ago... probably in no small part because he's been intransigent about staying in a dying Big East), and word is that the ACC might also add either Louisville or Rutgers to get to the magic 16.

Either way, my alma mater can't stay there. This state/U has invested WAY too much $ (in our nascent 10 years in D-1 football) on a 40,000-seat stadium and a training center on campus that ranks in the top practice facilities nationally to remain in a conference without a BCS tie-in. There's too much riding on it; the Big East as we knew it is done and it's time to move on now.

That would be the best case from the Syracuse fan's perspective. UConn to the ACC keeps that rivalry going (and that's a very good thing).

With Texas going to the Pac-16, UConn is probably a strong possibility as #15. The ACC would really gain in the basketball department, and while UConn isn't a serious football threat, they're not a Duke or Wake Forest. As for a pod system for football, i could see this:

A:FSU, UM, Clemson, GT

B:Wake, Duke, NC St, UNC

C:Maryland, VT, Va, Pitt

D: BC, UConn, SU, 16th

Still, with the addition of SU, i'm looking forward to some more great basketball games in the ACC. The past few seasons its been Duke-UNC-FSU and then the rest of the crowd. Just a fair warning to the b-ball fans...tallahassee is a house of horrors for visiting teams, especially if you are ranked high. :devil:

Edited by Ramius

Yah I mean it is possible that he's gone in another couple years. In fact he hinted as much after the St John's game I think (something like "I can't do many more of these")? I just don't think it will be because of this.

Hopkins isn't going anywhere unless he gets a sweet offer from a good 'down' program looking for a coach - say an Indiana or something (and honestly a program like that will likely be able to pick from more proven guys). He wisely turned down Providence last yr 'cause he knew that wouldn't do his career any good.

Chewing on it this morning, I have to think JB might end up prolonging his career because of the move. He's going to be battling against Coach K, Roy Williams, Gary Williams, etc.-- might motivate him to stick around longer.

One other thing, I wonder if Villanova and G-Town might be better off forming some kind of private school basketball conference-- get ND, Nova, G-Town, maybe a few A-10 schools like Xavier and St. Joe's--and you have a Catholic school D-I b-ball conference. Then those teams just do what they're doing now football-wise (ND as an independent, Nova as I-AA, etc.)

With Texas going to the Pac-16, UConn is probably a strong possibility as #15. The ACC would really gain in the basketball department, and while UConn isn't a serious football threat, they're not a Duke or Wake Forest. As for a pod system for football, i could see this:

A:FSU, UM, Clemson, GT

B:Wake, Duke, NC St, UNC

C:Maryland, VT, Va, Pitt

D: BC, UConn, SU, 16th

I could see Rutgers in that 16th spot, or

C: Maryland, VT, VA, Louisville

D: BC, UConn, Cuse, PITT

Taken as a whole, a rivalry with BC is the longed-for thing for us. Besides all the general desire to upgrade football, I think it was the idea of that match-up that really drew us into D-1, and then almost as soon as we got there they left.

In many ways, it was like a woman who decided to get a boob-job to keep her husband, but he still leaves. We've both seen other people but it just isn't the same. There's no close connection that can replace what we had. And while some things were said at the time that we all regret, we're better together than we are apart. And if BC wants us to move in with them in their new place, well, we've still got the new boobs and they look fantastic...!