5 Reasons... can you name more?

BuckeyeBill

Not really. In spite of the luscious imagery that brings to mind, I give him props for hanging here and not being a wild-azz trash talker like so many trolls we've seen over the years.

If any Bills fan think this is going to be a cake-walk, they're likely to be disabused of that notion come game day.

The Raiders are a good team. They are big, strong and fast at many positions and their DLine is deeper than ours.

The key to them winning is to stick with the run game. Their passing game is not likely to win it for them, so if they run it 30 - 35 times against The Bills, it could be a long afternoon for the faithful at The Ralph.

If they abandon the run early... :devil::beer:

Oakland is at a huge disadvantage traveling east on a short week after a MNF game. Their body clocks will be out of whack.

If The Bills get up early - which is a best case scenario AFAIC, a few of the Raiders might begin just going through the motions.

Regardless, I highly doubt that this will be a rout.

It wasn't a comment to the effect that I think this game will be easy or that he is a trash talker, it was more that his unwavering belief that the Raiders are superior in just about every aspect is funny. He has a height weight speed retort to any possible matchup.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoooaaaa....we shouldn't be talking about CANNOT lose. I think we will win and even the oddsmakers seem to be favoring us, but the game has yet to be played.

We have a lot going for us, but ain't no gaurantees in football.

Go Bills.

I missed the post where someone guaranteed a win?

That remains to be seen, and it's the reason they bother to play the games. I do think The Bills will stack the box though. Stopping their running game is job 1.

Go Bills!

I'm not concerned in the least about Oakland coming to Orchard Park. My concern is vs. the Patriots and Jets, the key to our mental state as a team. This game is merely a lead in to our divisional games, and by exploiting the Patriots defense we have a shot. Not worried this Sunday at all, but hey that's why the play the games.

Too bad the two you have aren't going to be much of a factor due to injury.

Raiders lose this game it won't be because those two wr's didn't play. In fact I will say Chaz SchilenMr Britle) is the best WR Raiders have on their roster and rookie WQR Deanarius Moore might be better overall than those other wr that aren't playing. Raiders are probably plkaying more two te formation anyway.

Last year, Kansas City was #1 in rushing yards per game, and Oakland #2. Last week, our hugely improved run defense shut it down, completely. Actually, you powering up the middle only makes it easier to stop the run with Williams and Dareus in tandem.

Again who was the number one rushing team in 2009 in the NFl. Of couse you don't know that because it dosen't really matter as things chance every year in the Nfl. Kansas City not even starting the same oline they started last year, like the Raiders oline not the same. Again raiders shut that number one running game last year as their oline couldn't deal with the Raiders.

Boss is limited... not concerned if you can't move the ball down the field with a deep threat as Bey is hurt too.

What do you mean Boss is limited. Because that what they said he was in practice. Alot of team limit there injured players so they have them healthy for the real game. Raiders young Te will create matchup problems for yoiur defense.

What tells you the Raiders aren't worse than last year since they barely scraped by the Broncos, an abysmal team last year, while the Bills annihilated a 10-6 Chiefs team from last year in their place?

I can't say either way but I speak from experience. You tell me divisional games no matter what team is better those games aren't usually nail bitters. Both teams are very familiar with each other.

I cant wait for Raiderjoe to go to another forum once this game is over with, so I wont read anymore of his posts. What team do they play next week. I think he should join that forum now. You are done here.

Someone tell someone from the ganggreen.com that i will be there neext week.

Edited by Raiderjoe

Again who was the number one rushing team in 2009 in the NFl. Of couse you don't know that because it dosen't really matter as things chance every year in the Nfl. Kansas City not even starting the same oline they started last year, like the Raiders oline not the same. Again raiders shut that number one running game last year as their oline couldn't deal with the Raiders.

Things change, but if the Bills bring the same front 7 as last week, the points scored for the opponent won't change much.

What do you mean Boss is limited. Because that what they said he was in practice. Alot of team limit there injured players so they have them healthy for the real game. Raiders young Te will create matchup problems for yoiur defense.

So they held him out of Week One so they could have him healthy for a real game? Doubtful... he's still not 100%.

I'm not concerned in the least about Oakland coming to Orchard Park. My concern is vs. the Patriots and Jets, the key to our mental state as a team. This game is merely a lead in to our divisional games, and by exploiting the Patriots defense we have a shot. Not worried this Sunday at all, but hey that's why the play the games.

This post is ridiculous. The Raiders have little to lose in a defeat...they're on the road, it's a non division game, it's early in the season. They have a very good defense and a very good running game. They will not have half the pressure that the Bills will have since this is a home game and the fans expectations have risen to epic proportions as proven by your post. The Raiders can play fast and loose tomorrow.

If the Bills don't play with the same focus and intensity that they came with last week, they will most definitely lose this game. Count on it.

Edited by 1billsfan

I hope the Bills dont think like the fans.

Yes it is going to be tough comming across country and on a short week, but if Buffalo doesnt execute this game is a lose.

I am a Bills fan. Campbell is still an NFL QB, he can throw the ball. He has had some good games in his career. Simply loading the box is not going to win this game.

If the Bills front 7 can control the line, then yes, the Bills should win this game.

I am liking Fitz more and more. But he is a very streaky QB, to say the least. He and all the team is going to be fired up. Its Chan's job to channel that energy positively and keep them focused.

If the Bills are as well coached in this game as they were in KC, then yes i think a victory is obtainable.

But by no means is it a cake walk.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

This post is ridiculous. The Raiders have little to lose in a defeat...they're on the road, it's a non division game, it's early in the season. They have a very good defense and a very good running game. They will not have half the pressure that the Bills will have since this is a home game and the fans expectations have risen to epic proportions as proven by your post. The Raiders can play fast and loose tomorrow.

If the Bills don't play with the same focus and intensity that they came with last week, they will most definitely lose this game. Count on it.

I'm not playing on Sunday, damn. This is an assessment of Week 2, and I don't think the Raiders will give us problems at all. This team is foscued and ready to play them. THAT is why I can say it will be not close. :rolleyes:

Kyle Orton was Better qb than raiders QB. Did it really matter when you get dominated on both sides of the ball.

Thats okay if you believe that in your heart, i just hope you don't put any money on that. That a whole diffrent story.

Raiderjoe, it's very cool that you believe in your team and are willing to come here and talk them up before they take on the Bills. I like your spunk, but you are clearly underestimating the talent on our team. We have some talent too. Our defense includes probowl NT Kyle Williams a penetrating wrecking ball in the center of the defensive line. Lined up next to Kyle is this year's #3 overall pick Marcel Dareus. Many people believe he could have easily been a #1 pick and if you think your defensive line is dominant, you ain't seen nothing yet. Add in 3 time probowler Shawne Merriman who is still very young/healthy and you have one scary defense. Of course there are others on this D that you probably never heard of that have some talent too. Take a look at who got sacks last week and you'll see 2 such players.

On offense, the Raider D is going to have their hands full. Our QB is great at taking advantage of aggressive defenses. Fred Jackson is very much the real deal and can compete with any back in this league. He is the reason CJ can't get on the field. You can talk up speed all you want but speed does not equal production. Production equals production. Take a good look at Steve Johnson for instance. I know you like your defensive line, but they are going to have their hands full too. Eric Wood, the center our offensive line is not going to be pushed around by any NT in both the AFC and NFC. He is the real deal. Overall this offensive line is big, strong and punishing. Your defense will need its A-game to even get a sniff of our QB.

Get ready, Raiderjoe. Your team is coming to our house and we are not playing around. Hope you don't get so mad that you leave, never to be heard from again when the Bills open up a can of whoop-ass.

Tangibles:

2. A better passing game.
  3. A complicated defensive scheme that will confuse Cambbell.
  4. A decent secondary, and weak opposing QB, that will allow us to stack the box and better defend their stout running game.

Intangibles:

1. Our QB is smarter. Course with the 6 Wonderlic that Campbell got, that's barely literate. It doesn't take a genius to run an offense, but I do believe you have to be more than literate.
  2. Continuity at head coach.
  3. The Ralph will be rocking. Just wanted to repeat that.

What we have to worry about:

2. Seymour. The dude, and much of their front 7, are scary. We have to stop him, or Fitz has to get rid of the ball quickly. Can our line handle this?
  3. Dual speed/power running game. I do worry about the latter.
  4. Janikowski. That's really a half worry.

I think our positives outweigh theirs and their negatives are more numerous.

The Bills ARE going to be 2-0.

I missed the post where someone guaranteed a win?

not to mince words, but a title that we "will not lose" for five reasons would sound like a gaurantee to me.

Raiders have a great running game and that was our weakness (TERRIBLE WEAKNESS) last year. We showed in the KC game that we have addressed it..but that was only one game.

Offensively we surprised the Chiefs (and all of us, happy to say) with a tight end and a strategy that took full advantage of him. Unless there are morons running the Raiders, they will game plan for that.

I'm optimistic that we will win..but I am not going out of my way to make any promises..but a prediction?

Bills 31 Raiders 21.

Five reasons why I don't see Buffalo possibly losing this game:

1. Their win was more impressive against the Chiefs (10-6) than the Raider win against the Broncos (4-12).

Not to mention that the Chiefs are a superior team to Denver.

The knee-jerk response here is "Chiefs are superior when they prove they're superior". The Raiders skunked the Chiefs last year, and their overall records were close.

Looking carefully "under the hood" of the Denver game, though, might support the contention that the Raiders are not the OL and DL juggernaut their fans would like to think them.

(Or perhaps that being an OL and DL juggernaut isn't sufficient?)

1. Against Denver, Oakland only converted about 1/3 of their 3rd downs - 5 out of 14. No doubt McFadden is a Beast and the Raiders are stout on OL, but if Denver can stop Oak so can we.

If the Bills can hold on 3rd down at a similar rate, they can win.

2. A juggernaut running offense coming away with 3 FG? Say no more.

3. Denver actually had more 1st downs than Oakland (25 to 20) and the TOP was not that lopsided - 27.5 to 32.5 minutes - for an Oak team whose mantra is domination on the lines. So Denver was managing to stay on the field against Oakland's great DL and defense that "player by player, Bills don't match up at a single position". (I bet player by player, Denver didn't match up either - and they were moving the ball on Oak).

4. Another telling stat - despite all the pressure and being sacked 5 times, Orton still hung up 274 net yds passing on the Raiders.

It looks to me as though it really came down to the turnovers. If Denver had hung onto the ball just a little bit more, they could have won nicely.

Bills- take a lesson. Ball security is paramount. Keep the ball, win the game.

All this says to me that if we take them seriously, don't get discouraged or lose focus after the occasional long run, and don't get rattled on offense by pressure, Oak is eminently beatable.

2. The Raiders best players are hurt. Jacoby Ford is out, Darius Heyward-Bey is listed as questionable, so is Michael Huff, Kevin Boss, and Richard Seymour. Heck, even Jason Campbell and Darren McFadden are listed as probable. I don't think the Raiders would beat the Bills even if all their guns were loaded… too bad the Raiders will be running on empty.

I wouldn't bank on the "empty" thing. One thing about backups - one never knows how they will play if they're hungry and they get the chance. Look at Chandler (from unknown to "a Star is Born" in one sure-handed game.)

Plus, football is a tough game and our key players can leave hurt on any down. I think Oakland takes pride in being thugs, and it wouldn't surprise me if they come out gunning and trying to injure some of our key players. I guess that sounds like a knock on Oak's integrity but really, as long as nothing illegal is done it's just part of the game of football. Point is if Dareus or Fitz or FJ go down, that advantage could flip quickly.

The other side of that is lack of discipline - stupid penalties on Oakland because they can't control themselves. If the refs "cowboy up" and do their jobs, and we stay disciplined, that could be a huge advantage to us esp. if we can frustrate Oak on a few drives early. Last year, Oakland showed no disposition to listen to the Levy mantra "Don't be dumb, don't be dirty" and against Denver, didn't look like that's changed.

3. The Raiders had a short week (game ending around 2AM Tuesday morning EST). <...> Historically, teams in the Raiders position don't play sharp on Sunday!

5. The Home Field advantage will give the Bills another huge advantage

Other things being equal, these are advantages....but the sort of thing that matters only if other things are equal. If the Bills don't take advantage of the extra prep time and don't come out fired up and ready to feed off the crowd -- if they allow themselves to get pushed around on both sides of the line - these advantages won't mean squat.

4. I would argue that Charles = McFadden, but Cassel > Campell.

That's an interesting perception. I give it to McFadden as a runner, myself , but Charles is very good and it's definitely arguable either way.

As far as Cassel and Campbell....this is an interesting comparison. Again, I'd take Campbell in that match-up. Here's why. Overall, they're about equal statistically, but look under the hood.

Cassel had a great season with NE in 2008 (QB rating 89.4), and a good season in a run-oriented Chiefs offense last year (QB rating 93).

2009 - decidedly mediocre seasons. So potentially, you may be right - he can show flashes of being very very good. He also shows flashes of being very mediocre.

(sound like someone closer to home?) Like Fitz, I view Cassel as a "system QB" whose quality and success are heavily influenced by the playcalling and the cast around him.

Campbell, on the other hand, has been a very consistent QB in the league both for Washington and for Oakland. Consistent QB rating in the mid-eighties. Consistent low turnover numbers. Consistent 6-7 YPA. He isn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but there are only 2 of them out of 32 starting NFL QB. Very consistent play in two different systems, and play at a level "good enough to win". In preseason against N'Orleans, he looked like a man justifying his 1st round draft pick to me. He's big, he's tough, and while he doesn't have a rep as a scrambler or run often (average 3 attempts per game), he can run better than he gets credit for - career 4.9 YPA can move the chains. He's passed for >3000 yds per season twice.

In my opinion, trading him to Oakland for a 4th round pick in favor of Donovan McNabb was one of Washington's dumber personnel moves. Campbell is a far better QB than he gets credit for, both around the league and on this board, and I wish him well - when he's not playing against the Bills. The only thing I can say that might be against him is he gets sacked a lot for a man playing behind a "great OL". I don't know enough detail to know if that's a knock on him, or a side-effect of the systems he's playing in (a la Mad Martz).

Bottom line, I think this is a winnable game for us if we "are who we say we are" now, but it's far from "never had a chance". Just my opinion.

Things change, but if the Bills bring the same front 7 as last week, the points scored for the opponent won't change much.

So they held him out of Week One so they could have him healthy for a real game? Doubtful... he's still not 100%.

How can you honestly say that what are Mrs Cleo or something. So your going to hold everyteam to seven points and have a game every week against other team running game like that. Serious doubt that. K Boss wasn't ready to play in week one? He will be playing this week what does that tell you, and whats so hard to understand. He had a somewhere between a first and second degree strain in his knee. The recovery time for that should have been last week. Raiders holded him out an extra week - big deal?

Edited by Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe, it's very cool that you believe in your team and are willing to come here and talk them up before they take on the Bills. I like your spunk, but you are clearly underestimating the talent on our team. We have some talent too. Our defense includes probowl NT Kyle Williams a penetrating wrecking ball in the center of the defensive line. Lined up next to Kyle is this year's #3 overall pick Marcel Dareus. Many people believe he could have easily been a #1 pick and if you think your defensive line is dominant, you ain't seen nothing yet. Add in 3 time probowler Shawne Merriman who is still very young/healthy and you have one scary defense. Of course there are others on this D that you probably never heard of that have some talent too. Take a look at who got sacks last week and you'll see 2 such players.

On offense, the Raider D is going to have their hands full. Our QB is great at taking advantage of aggressive defenses. Fred Jackson is very much the real deal and can compete with any back in this league. He is the reason CJ can't get on the field. You can talk up speed all you want but speed does not equal production. Production equals production. Take a good look at Steve Johnson for instance. I know you like your defensive line, but they are going to have their hands full too. Eric Wood, the center our offensive line is not going to be pushed around by any NT in both the AFC and NFC. He is the real deal. Overall this offensive line is big, strong and punishing. Your defense will need its A-game to even get a sniff of our QB.

Get ready, Raiderjoe. Your team is coming to our house and we are not playing around. Hope you don't get so mad that you leave, never to be heard from again when the Bills open up a can of whoop-ass.

I don't want to be disrespectful as I think Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus(who was probably the best player in this draft) are very good players but if they played on the raiders they would be backups to Tom kelly and R seymour. Your just talking about better players at this point.

We know roider- Shawn Merriman looks like he back on the cycle- sooner or later the nFl will catch him.

Again Raiders DE have a bigger miss match against your Ot's. Good luck trying to throw the football when pressure getting there real fast. Raiders secondary not covering that long will be over your Wr's.

When Raiders front four is living in your backfield you could have darren Mcfadden and it isn't going to matter. Rb is only as good as the oline in front of them.

3. Raiders have just too much in the running game for the Bills to deal with. Immaterial what you did against Chiefs running game because Raiders rushing attack is so much diffrent. Raiders run more power blocking scheme and play with extra Olineman as Extra Te alot.(6 olineman) They can get to the corners but they can also run with power up the middle.

This is the main reason I am looking forward to this game. I expected a test of the new Bills run D last week but KC sucked ass so much that didn't happen. I suspect the Raiders will bring a decent run offense to the Ralph so we can now see how much the Bills run D really has improved. Everything is in the Bills favor. Hurt Raiders, Raiders playing Monday night and having to travel east, and its the Bills home opener.

If the Bills D is improved enough to handle the Raiders run offense I see a Bills win in a close one.

Five Reason Raiders will win this game

Hey, Raiderjoe. I give you props for hanging in and keeping it intelligent and civil. I had my doubts in a response you made to me in another thread: all "you you you" attacking straw-man arguments that I (the poster to whom you were responding) had not, in fact, made. Annoying, as was the "smack talk" about Raiders marching the ball up and down the field on us etc.

But here you still are with some sensible football comments, so I give you props and I'll give it a go at trying to initiate some sensible discussion.

1. Raiders are going to win the battle at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Raiders Dline versus Bills Oline. Raiders Oline versus Bills defenseline. You do that in any league and your most likely going to win the game.

The Raiders OL and DL were both top-10 in the league last year. That's a fact. (see Cold Hard Football Facts offensive and defensive Hogs Index).

There is no question that the Bills DL, and especially their run D, are unproven. Last year they sucked. This year, big changes and n=1 looking much improved.

There is also no question that Oakland was living in Denver's backfield on Monday night.

A few questions for you. First, the OL.

Personnel changes: Oakland has had two significant changes on their starting OL from last year

1. Wisniewski vs. Gallery. Most pundits seem to regard Gallery to Seattle as a significant downgrade. What are your thoughts on Wisniewski vs Gallery?

I like Veldheer as a LT, but it's inarguable that the quality of a LT is influenced by the quality of the LG next to him.

2. Barnes vs Walker at RT. With Jacksonville at LT, Barnes earned the nickname "KhaWiff" for his missed blocks leading to sacks. Your comments on Barnes vs Walker as the starting RT?

Some stats I wonder about from such a good line

1. Campbell (who I view as an underrated QB, by the way) was sacked 33 times last year. And, his completion percentage fell off from 64.5% in 2009 to 59% in 2010 which might argue he was feeling pressure(=inaccuracy). What's up with that, for a guy playing behind such a good OL? Especially with Barnes (not noted as a pass protector) for Walker at RT and the loss of Gallery, is this a weakness other teams can exploit?

2. Oak converted only 5 of 14 3rd downs against Denver. What's up with that, for a notable running powerhouse with a great physical OL?

Second, the DL and LB.

Personnel changes:

1. Looks like Shaunnessy has the nod over Scott. Comment, please?

2. The LB. McClain, Wimbley, and who else? Would you mind commenting on the Oak LB core and its depth? What are they like in coverage?

Some stats I wonder about from such a good line.

1. Despite 5 sacks, Orton hung up 274 net yds on Oakland. What's up with that from such a great penetrating line?

2. Denver converted almost half their 3rd downs - 6 out of 13. Again, what's up with that from such a great line?

Not trying to be controversial here, and not intersted in bullgaffle and smack - just curious for any insights into some stuff that puzzles me, from a guy who is obviously a passionate fan of the Raiders.

2. Raiders have just far superior athlethes than the Bills all across the board against the Bills, that it will show on the football field

That's as may be. And football is supremely a team game, where lesser athletes who stick to their assignments and work in concert on a quality game plan consistently outplay superior athletes who lack discipline, or coaching.

Would you care to comment upon Oakland's coaching staff? There's been a lot of turnover there.

Also, it seems to me that Oakland almost takes pride in lacking discipline. Would you care to comment on whether you think superior athleticism is sufficient to win, and why?

3. Raiders have just too much in the running game for the Bills to deal with. Immaterial what you did against Chiefs running game because Raiders rushing attack is so much diffrent. Raiders run more power blocking scheme and play with extra Olineman as Extra Te alot.(6 olineman) They can get to the corners but they can also run with power up the middle.

The Raiders have a great running game, no doubt. But what matters in the end is the score.

1. Why 3 FG from such a great, dominating OL with "too much in the running game"? Shouldn't they have been too much for Denver to deal with, and punched it in for 7 every time?

Seriously - what went wrong? Bad calls? McFadden slipped in the rain? What?

2. See question 2 above. Raiders only converted about 1/3 of their 3rd downs against Denver-not traditionally a powerhouse run D. Again, seriously - what went wrong? Shouldn't they have been too much for Denver to deal with, and been able to convert?

Anyway, have enjoyed your posts. Good luck to you - and bad luck to Oakland when they're playing the Bills! I'm hoping it will be a great game, and fun to watch.

[ ]

The thought of a team holding a star player who could go, out of a game with a division rival (which they barely squeaked out)....

....to have him healthy for a "real game" against the Buffalo Bills....

[ ] (speechless)

(in case it's not clear, Raiderjoe, I don't think this explanation is very probable, or if it is, it will limit Boss's participation against B'lo as well so they have him fully healthy later in the year)

But what a vision....Oh, My.

Lord, Bmore, I do hope the team ain't thinkin this way. If they do, Oakland will open a can o' whupass on our butts, and we will deserve it.