Johnson not responsible for Berry's torn ACL

voodoo poonani

There were a few plays I saw this weekend that showed very similar blocks. I only remembered one because it was a TD by Matt Forte of the Bears. A Chicago lineman dives at an Atlanta defenders legs on the run. Watch it at the :12 second mark. The only reason Stevie is getting hammered is because Berry got hurt (which is terribly unfortunate), but it wasn't illegal. You'll see this same block attempted about 10 times every single NFL game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fhly9X8ayg

Edited by McD

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny that a legal hit can also be a cheapshot dirty play. At least it makes sense to the fans.

The Kansas City Chiefs supposedly reported the hit to the NFL saying it was Dirty. I am not suprised coming from Haley who pouts more that TO and Brady combined.

After seeing sj's block it's highly unlikely that caused the injury. Berrys foot isn't planted. There's very little lateral stress placed on the knee joint.

Why doesn't berry speak publicly and clear this up?

Because this issue only exists with the fans. The teams have long since moved on.

I'm not a doctor so I wont speculate as to the cause of injury and what role Stevie played in it.

But I have no problem saying flat out that it was a chickenshlt, dirtbag block and Berry and the Chiefs have every right to be pissed.

Stevie better watch his ass the next time we see the Chefs.

I'm not a doctor so I wont speculate as to the cause of injury and what role Stevie played in it.

But I have no problem saying flat out that it was a chickenshlt, dirtbag block and Berry and the Chiefs have every right to be pissed.

I gotta admit... when it happened, I wondered why Stevie didn't go for the Pancake, instead of the knees. It seemed to me that Stevie was in position to hit him high, with leverage.

No, it wasn't. While not the manliest of blocks the cut block is taught and used by EVERY team in the NFL, as seen in the above clip. Heck, the Chiefs probably used them at some point in the game against Buffalo, don't have the game so I cannot go back and check. It was a completely LEGAL block in the way Johnson used it. The only way it becomes illegal is if Berry was engaged with someone and Johnson did that. As it has been pointed out MANY times, the only reason this is an issue is because of the injury. Watch the game this week against Oakland and you'll more than likely see this type of block by BOTH teams multiple times.

I'm glad there's some evidence supporting Stevie.. but its tough to watch that knee buckle without cringing.

youtube.com/watch?v=92ifz2qqtm8

For some reason it reminded me of this.. :sick:

Not even close. In a front on tackle, defender got his helmet on mcgahees knee and drove it backwards, in the exact opposite direction the knee is designed to move. The replay clearly showed the knee bending. Mcgahee immediately went down, stayed down and was carted off the field.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

After seeing sj's block it's highly unlikely that caused the injury. Berrys foot isn't planted. There's very little lateral stress placed on the knee joint.

Why doesn't berry speak publicly and clear this up?

So you really believe he gets hit low, goes out, comes back on on the first play totally independently tears his acl in a non contact injury... 100% coincidence?

I think whether he had a partial tear or some injury that made him more susceptible that the ball was in motion and in hindsight the biggest question lies with the trainers.

Had Berry suffered ANY structural damage to his knee after the hit by SJ, it would have been EASILY detected by a simple palpation of the knee by the Chiefs' medical staff. From a stretch to partial tear of a ligament, ESPECIALLY the ACL, it is pretty easy to determine by a simple physical examination on the sidelines. The fact he was allowed back into the game is the only evidence you need that the Chiefs' medical staff found NOTHING to prevent him from returning.

Please don't tell me that Berry could have insisted on going back in. It's not his call at the point the doctors find anything wrong.

Until Berry or the Chiefs' medical staff says the Stevie hit had anything to do with the injury there is simply nothing to connect the two incidents. There are NO facts AT ALL to suggest anything otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

Whether or not Stevie's hit played a significant role in causing the ACL injury to Berry is debatable. The fact that the block was entirely legal and used by probrably every team in the NFL should be enough to end any controversy. And Stevie has no track record of being known as a dirty player either. It was an unfortunate injury for sure. But cmon, how many other ACL injuries have already taken place this season... If Berry's knee had been injured/weakened by Johnson's block how much of the responsibility goes on the Chief's trainers for letting him back on the field?

Whether or not Stevie's hit played a significant role in causing the ACL injury to Berry is debatable. The fact that the block was entirely legal and used by probrably every team in the NFL should be enough to end any controversy. And Stevie has no track record of being known as a dirty player either. It was an unfortunate injury for sure. But cmon, how many other ACL injuries have already taken place this season... If Berry's knee had been injured/weakened by Johnson's block how much of the responsibility goes on the Chief's trainers for letting him back on the field?

All of it.

GO BILLS!!!

No, it wasn't. While not the manliest of blocks the cut block is taught and used by EVERY team in the NFL, as seen in the above clip. Heck, the Chiefs probably used them at some point in the game against Buffalo, don't have the game so I cannot go back and check. It was a completely LEGAL block in the way Johnson used it. The only way it becomes illegal is if Berry was engaged with someone and Johnson did that. As it has been pointed out MANY times, the only reason this is an issue is because of the injury. Watch the game this week against Oakland and you'll more than likely see this type of block by BOTH teams multiple times.

I'm not interested in the narrow definition of legal; just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Running downfield and directly attacking a guy's knees from a side angle 20 yards away from the ball is a disgusting, cowardly play and means an instant fistfight on a hell of a lot of ballfields.

A guy pulling lead chops down a 'backer? OK. You want to cut a blitzer to protect your QB? Cool. You need to chop a guy down to keep him from getting in the air in a passing lane or cut block a guy head up in a short yardage situation? That's fine too. But you absolutely do not do what Stevie Johnson did in KC.

It's an ignorant, chickenshlt block from a guy who I have less respect for than I did a week ago. And I guarantee you plenty of his own teammates lost a measure of respect for him as well. :thumbdown:

So i just finished listening to Fred Jackson on Rome. According to Rome Rodney Harrison called out Stevie for being cowardly.

How is Harrison on tv anyways. cheap shot artist, suspended for steroids. Cowardly = taking steroids because your not man enough to stay on the field without them...Do me a favor Rodney shut your mouth, you have no credibility.

So i just finished listening to Fred Jackson on Rome. According to Rome Rodney Harrison called out Stevie for being cowardly.

How is Harrison on tv anyways. cheap shot artist, suspended for steroids. Cowardly = taking steroids because your not man enough to stay on the field without them...Do me a favor Rodney shut your mouth, you have no credibility.

this is in relation to Stevies legal block on Eric Berry by the way...

Pot meet kettle

Rodney was a tough, physical ballplayer who went 100% all the way through the whistle. While he always tried to dish out the pain, I never once saw him go after a guy's knees in the gutless manner that Johnson did. We can hate on him all we want, but the truth of the matter is that he's right.

If Stevie ever does anything like that again, I hope somebody knocks him the !@#$ out.

Rodney was a tough, physical ballplayer who went 100% all the way through the whistle. While he always tried to dish out the pain, I never once saw him go after a guy's knees in the gutless manner that Johnson did. We can hate on him all we want, but the truth of the matter is that he's right.

If Stevie ever does anything like that again, I hope somebody knocks him the !@#$ out.

Harrison was the dirtiest player I've ever seen play the game. He intentionally tried to hurt people, no doubt about it. I honestly don't care one way or the other about this Stevie thing, but calling him out over Harrison is ignorant bull ****.

Edited by Faustus

Any time a safety is your best player, your team just sucks.

I'm not interested in the narrow definition of legal; just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Running downfield and directly attacking a guy's knees from a side angle 20 yards away from the ball is a disgusting, cowardly play and means an instant fistfight on a hell of a lot of ballfields.

A guy pulling lead chops down a 'backer? OK. You want to cut a blitzer to protect your QB? Cool. You need to chop a guy down to keep him from getting in the air in a passing lane or cut block a guy head up in a short yardage situation? That's fine too. But you absolutely do not do what Stevie Johnson did in KC.

It's an ignorant, chickenshlt block from a guy who I have less respect for than I did a week ago. And I guarantee you plenty of his own teammates lost a measure of respect for him as well. :thumbdown:

Simon, this is flagrantly ignorant banter from you. So you mean to tell me that circumstance dictates whether or not its cheap? Either it's a cheap shot and should be banned or it isn't. Circumstance has nothing to do with it. And the cut block is by far the most effective way of neutralizing Eric Berry on that play. If it is legal and acceptable in ANY other situation, then Steve had a professional responsibility to the fans, his teammates and himself to utilize the most effective possible technique to accomplish his assignment on that play.

So spare us your whiny, sanctimonious ranting. And you can be assured, nobody outside of you cares whether you respect Steve Johnson or not. In fact, I find it laughable that you would respect a professional athlete that you've never even met to begin with.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan