The Most Encouraging Thing about this Win

Obviously there were a lot of great things in this game to be excited about. But to answer your question, the one thing that's the most encouraging to me is this: We now have a coach that understands the importance of stepping on a team's neck when they're down. Gailey's play calling today was superb and relentless. The play I liked best? Brad Smith's INT. That's right. Even though we already had the game won, Gailey called a play that gave him the option to go for the humiliation shot.

Does anyone think Jauron would have done that? Jauron is a really, really nice guy. If he had gotten up two or three scores he would have been on the sidelines preparing an apology. The best a Jauron team could do was keep it close and hope for the best. That was clearly his strategy, because after every game, usually a loss, he'd tell us "it's hard to win in this league."

Those days are over.

Sorry but this is pretty much baloney. Did you read this board after these games?

1. Opening day 2007 vs Denver. 3rd&short up by 2 with 3 minutes left, JP throws deep for Evans for the kill shot. Lee is behind his man but JP overshoots him by a couple yards. "WTF ARE WE DOING? HAND THE BALL OFF AND LET OUR STEEL CURTAIN DEFENSE PROTECT A 2PT LEAD!".

2. MNF, 8pt lead vs. Dallas. 3rd & goal they take the training wheels off Edwards and let him throw endzone. Interception. "WTF HOW DO WE NOT SETTLE FOR THE FG AND AN 11 POINT LEAD!"

You may also recall that a fake FG and a bomb to Evans blew games open vs. Seattle & St Louis during the 5-1 stretch in '08.

I am not saying that Jauron was a good coach. But the revisionist history about what the current coach did better than his predecessor after a win is always ridiculous. Players make plays and when they do the coach looks smarter.

Obviously there were a lot of great things in this game to be excited about. But to answer your question, the one thing that's the most encouraging to me is this: We now have a coach that understands the importance of stepping on a team's neck when they're down. Gailey's play calling today was superb and relentless. The play I liked best? Brad Smith's INT. That's right. Even though we already had the game won, Gailey called a play that gave him the option to go for the humiliation shot.

Does anyone think Jauron would have done that? Jauron is a really, really nice guy. If he had gotten up two or three scores he would have been on the sidelines preparing an apology. The best a Jauron team could do was keep it close and hope for the best. That was clearly his strategy, because after every game, usually a loss, he'd tell us "it's hard to win in this league."

Those days are over.

I just don't agree with this at all. I thought this pass was called to get it on film for future opponents, not to humiliate the Chiefs. IMO, Brad Smith's biggest value is in short yardage plays. That play helps back off the safties a bit when he takes the snap in future games. They have to respect his arm after that 50 yard bomb.

The Bills were already up 41-7 and had just run J. White up the middle five times in a row when Smith made that pass. The Chiefs fans were saying they thought the runs were a classy move by the Bills. I was thrilled to see the Bills win overwhelmingly without ever being jerks.

I just don't agree with this at all. I thought this pass was called to get it on film for future opponents, not to humiliate the Chiefs. IMO, Brad Smith's biggest value is in short yardage plays. That play helps back off the safties a bit when he takes the snap in future games. They have to respect his arm after that 50 yard bomb.

The Bills were already up 41-7 and had just run J. White up the middle five times in a row when Smith made that pass. The Chiefs fans were saying they thought the runs were a classy move by the Bills. I was thrilled to see the Bills win overwhelmingly without ever being jerks.

Why would the Bills want future opponents to respect his arm if he is in fact fully capable of throwing a 50 yard strike? There is no doubt in my mind it was an F-U by Gailey to the Chiefs.

Why would the Bills want future opponents to respect his arm if he is in fact fully capable of throwing a 50 yard strike? There is no doubt in my mind it was an F-U by Gailey to the Chiefs.

I think Smith has accuracy problems with his throws down field. I think they want teams to see that he might throw instead of just run each time he touches the ball. That play was just way out of whack with the other plays that proceeded it to think they cared much if it was complete. They were very vanilla with White for a full series leading up to that play. Who knows, maybe it was an FU, or maybe it was about Parrish, getting him some yards, or something else....

I thought the most encouraging thing about the win was the coaching and front office. Sure, the players stepped up and looked much better, I think both because of what players were on the field and how they were coached: everyone seemed prepared; and the parade of poor challenges, time outs, penalties etc. were absent. As mentioned by someone else, I really liked that they sat Dareus after that 4th and 4 offsides. (Jauron would have clapped his hands, shaken his head, looked down, and shuffled his feet.)

The Defense, Offense and Special Teams played pretty much like I expected them to. The Wildcat was perhaps a little less effective than I expected though it did pick up some key first downs.

The most encouraging thing for me was the play of the offensive line. Bell, in particular, played up to my hopes instead of down to my fears. The solid performance of the OL makes me more optimistic about 2011 than I already was.

What was the most encouraging thing about this win to you?

Hard to think of a single thing that wasn't encouraging!

I guess, to me, most encouraging was that - for a change - the Bills coaching staff seemed to have covered every single base today, including the crowd noise. Penalties were at a minimum. Gailey had his team well-prepared on offense, defense, and special teams, was fearless in his play-calling, effectively countered anything and everything the Chiefs attempted, avoided the risk of injuries to key players once the outcome was certain, and completely out-coached Todd Haley.

Hard to remember a game where the Bills players and coaching staff executed as well as everyone did today.

Good for Chan! :thumbsup:

The Defense, Offense and Special Teams played pretty much like I expected them to. The Wildcat was perhaps a little less effective than I expected though it did pick up some key first downs.

The most encouraging thing for me was the play of the offensive line. Bell, in particular, played up to my hopes instead of down to my fears. The solid performance of the OL makes me more optimistic about 2011 than I already was.

What was the most encouraging thing about this win to you?

The D line has 2 very good players for the 1st time since Bruce and fat Ted lined up together.

Amazing what not getting pushed around on the D line does for a team.

Most encouraging to me was that we not only dominated in every aspect of the game:

Coaching

Offense

Passing

Rushing

Defense

Special Teams

Penalties

we also saw very little of some of the huge difference makers we said we needed to rely on all offseason if we even needed a chance.

I saw Merriman and Barnett but nothing more than average tackles and a few hurries. Dareus was a beast but didn't even look as good as he did in almost every preseason game as a difference maker. Aaron Williams is going finger ALOT better. Shephard will get much more consistant with time. The Line looked better than everyone expected. I loved that I saw the Chiefs had to move Hali to the other side after he couldn't beat Bell. A little down on Pears but not really that bad. Overall I couldn't be happier. I don't think were gonna win every game or anything but I don't think we've seen the ceiling yet either.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Smith has accuracy problems with his throws down field. I think they want teams to see that he might throw instead of just run each time he touches the ball. That play was just way out of whack with the other plays that proceeded it to think they cared much if it was complete. They were very vanilla with White for a full series leading up to that play. Who knows, maybe it was an FU, or maybe it was about Parrish, getting him some yards, or something else....

Completely agree with you on this, Matt. NFL coaches review every play that their opponents have run, whether the game was in hand or not. My fear with the Wild Bill is that teams will load the box when they see Smith behind center and he won't have the ability to hurt 'em with his arm. Getting this play on tape was a good idea; you want to give Smith and the linemen a chance to find some room.

K-9 is completely correct; when KC got that touchdown it was 20-7 and appeared as if the worm was ready to turn. But we came out and answered right back in the third to put the game away. Is this team learning how to win, after going 4-4 down the stretch last season?

Edited by Big Bad Boone

I am totally happy to see we have a TE again. He was busy doing a great Metz impression the whole game and he has a great WR's (in Bills history) last name. What is not to like about the kid? I am really giving Cudos to Buddy for being the sly old fox last season for the WAY we picked him up too (he made a claim for the other TE on thier teams PS and then when Dallas put him on the roster to keep him, Buddy swooped in and got the guy he really wanted). A+ on the Jedi Mind*^ck! :thumbsup: on the free quality draft pick. BTW, anyone that thought Chan wouldn't use a TE in this offense, I have been saying this all offseason, you were very wrong.

Might have been said already but....what I liked was that we capitalized off of just about every mistake they made. That is what "good" teams do....If you give NE, GB etc. extra possessions or good field position they ABSOLUTELY make you pay for it. Bills teams of the past would get a turnover or 3 and out and either return the favor with a turnover or run three BS plays in a row to give the opposing D a three and out resulting in the game being close at the end and good ole lady luck kicking us in the ass. We kept the petal to the metal all game. Great way to start off a season. One game at a time guys!

I'm most encouraged by our offense. I figured our defense would be much improved, but I wasn't very confidant in the O. Mainly due too our OL. They outperformed my expectations, big time. Galleys play calling and fitzs decisiveness were 2 of the things that stood out most. Fitz has confidence in everyone. Throwing that last td to jones was awesome. I'm a big fan of Chandler. He got rolled a couple times run blocking, but he's shown he has soft hands and good mobility for such a big guy. Santa was good to us this year