#1 NFL play in the last 25 years

sarmanuscg07

#1 music city miracle

#6 i think it was: randall cunningham was in his own endzone against the bills at the Ralph in 1990.. Escaped a couple of sacks and hucked it 60 yards, the philly WR went to the house for a 95 yd td.

#8 less then a year after leaving Buffalo, Marshawn Lynch has that monster run last season breaking about 5,000 tackles.

I was only 5 for the Cunningham play, don't remember it. Why must ESPN continue to show that play even 12 years later. :wallbash:

#1: I am the biggest "NO GOAL" guy out there, but I just don't see that pitch as a forward pass. I didn't at the time, and I don't now. The smart play would have been to kick OOB and rely on the D that had carried the day (and the season). It's close at best, but I cannot see it as a crappy call (unlike, for example, the "just give it to 'em" call).

#6: Who won that game? Yeah, great throw, great catch; I'll take the win over the highlight any day.

#8: Shouldn't even have been included. Great run, sure, but top ten of all time? Really? (Same might go for no. 6.) And even if it is considered in the top ten of all time, well, it's the only damned thing he did at Seattle so far. I'm not missing him at all yet.

And this, THIS was my 1000th post? Geez.

Home Run Throwback was greatest ever plunge from "insane happy excitement stoked joy pumped crazy wild freakout" to "confusion denial anger sadness depression empty darkness" I've ever felt...also the quickest.

Who would've thought that play was a harbinger of next 11 seasons?

Screw these "best of" lists. They're only good when you agree with them.

#6 i think it was: randall cunningham was in his own endzone against the bills at the Ralph in 1990.. Escaped a couple of sacks and hucked it 60 yards, the philly WR went to the house for a 95 yd td.

Bills are up 21-0 in the first quarter (it was maybe the second time the K-Gun was used). Cunningham drops back to pass. Bruce comes in off the right side, has Cunningham dead to rights in the end zone. Cunningham somehow ducks under Bruce's arm, stands up, and throws off-balance a 45-yard bomb to Fred Barnett (I think), who takes it in to the end zone for the score. And Bruce is just standing in the end zone with a "You've got to be shitting me..." look on his face.

Sick play. Probably the most incredible I've ever seen.

Edit:

Lousy quality, but best I could find. Edited by DC Tom

Definitely worthy of #6. I saw it happen live (well, on tv...) and it's just as amazing now as it was back then. Randall was an underrated QB, IMO.

Honestly for me the greatest play....and I HATE admitting this (plus it was more than 25 years ago...my apologies) was the hook & ladder and/or hitch & trailer play that Miami ran against San Diego in the playoffs in the early 80s. Never seen anything like it before and I've been watching football since 1970 or so. I mean I HATE Miami, but that play was hella cool.

There was a game in the early '90s between the Eagles and the Giants. Cunningham is rolling out to his right, looking like he's gonna run with it. Pepper Johnson is making a beeline for Cunningham at full steam, anticipating a huge hit. Randall points to Pepper as he's scrambling and out of nowhere, Seth Joyner?(I believe it was him), runs up at full speed, with Pepper unaware, and absolutely levels Pepper. What a hit!

1981, the Bills fighting for a playoff spot are playing the Pats. The Bills are losing late in the game and then Fergie throws a pick. The Bills blow their 3 timeouts on defense but get the ball back at their own 27 yard with 35 seconds and no way to stop the clock.

Fergie throws deep middle for Roland Hooks who gets upended by a vicious hit - but miraculously hangs on for 37 yards. The clock is ticking. The Bills race to the line of scrimmage and Fergie throws a Hail Mary. The ball gets batted by a defender but Roland Hooks catches the deflected ball in the endzone for the victory.

It's not one play but two. And it's not within the past 25 years. Still pretty impressive back-to-back plays by a second-teamer and worth remembering.

Here's the Hail Mary but the previous catch was more sensational.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8208e9c1/Hooks-Hail-Mary-catch

Edited by hondo in seattle

1981, the Bills fighting for a playoff spot are playing the Pats. The Bills are losing late in the game and then Fergie throws a pick. The Bills blow their 3 timeouts on defense but get the ball back at their own 27 yard with 35 seconds and no way to stop the clock.

Fergie throws deep middle for Roland Hooks who gets upended by a vicious hit - but miraculously hangs on for 37 yards. The clock is ticking. The Bills race to the line of scrimmage and Fergie throws a Hail Mary. The ball gets batted by a defender but Roland Hooks catches the deflected ball in the endzone for the victory.

It's not one play but two. And it's not within the past 25 years. Still pretty impressive back-to-back plays by a second-teamer and worth remembering.

Here's the Hail Mary but the previous catch was more sensational.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8208e9c1/Hooks-Hail-Mary-catch

So cool to see that video. I remember listening to that game around the radio with my dad.... Those were the days when blackouts were the norm!

Bills are up 21-0 in the first quarter (it was maybe the second time the K-Gun was used). Cunningham drops back to pass. Bruce comes in off the right side, has Cunningham dead to rights in the end zone. Cunningham somehow ducks under Bruce's arm, stands up, and throws off-balance a 45-yard bomb to Fred Barnett (I think), who takes it in to the end zone for the score. And Bruce is just standing in the end zone with a "You've got to be shitting me..." look on his face.

Sick play. Probably the most incredible I've ever seen.

Edit: youtube.com/watch?v=9MeycJbMIAw&feature=related Lousy quality, but best I could find.

I remember that! 1990 That year, I had seasons I forget who was back there as safety with Odems #37 should have been Kelso #38 FS if I remember right but he was not #31, who the hell is #31? If I remember Leonard Smith SS was #46? Was that the year we got james williams? was he 31? We changed DBs a lot on those teams.

It was and always will be a forward pass.....case closed. I'll never forget kicking the garbage can in half on my back porch.....i think i drank my body weight in Jamo after.

I've maybe seen it once since, but every single solitary replay I watched show the throw go perfectly parallel to the line...i.e., it wasn't forward or backwards. By rule, that's a legitimate lateral. You can get all of the RIT professors to prove that it had to travel backwards, but I won't be convinced.

It makes sense, though. That's just the Bills' luck to have it go that way.

#1: I am the biggest "NO GOAL" guy out there, but I just don't see that pitch as a forward pass. I didn't at the time, and I don't now. The smart play would have been to kick OOB and rely on the D that had carried the day (and the season). It's close at best, but I cannot see it as a crappy call (unlike, for example, the "just give it to 'em" call).

The smarter play would have been to kick it deep...through the end zone. Give them the ball at the 20 with less than 20 seconds left. I don't remember if the Titans had any timeouts, but even if the kickoff goes OB, you give them the ball at the 40 and make them run a couple of plays to win it. I would have preferred an OB kick to anything in the field of play there.

#1 music city miracle

#8 less then a year after leaving Buffalo, Marshawn Lynch has that monster run last season breaking about 5,000 tackles.

I was only 5 for the Cunningham play, don't remember it. Why must ESPN continue to show that play even 12 years later. :wallbash:

funny with todays kickoff rule there is no music city miracle kind of sad! wish the NFL would stop the pussifacation of this game.

Is there anywhere online to view these plays?

And, on the Lynch play, it's easily one of the best plays I've seen... I don't think a play needs to be all about skill or difficulty, but also about how exciting it is... and frankly the Lynch run was damned exciting.