Game preview from a Chiefs homer

PromoTheRobot

Only a Bills homer would predict a Bills victory against the Chiefs.

Both teams have relatively few changes, but one team was a playoff team and one team very much wasn't. On paper, it's easy to take the Chiefs.

I think we'll give them a game, and barring any stupidity on our part, will take the win.

Say, how would you like our odds against the Seahawks?

Past results don't guarantee future outcomes. On paper they're relatively equal, and if Cassel is iffy and with Tony Moeaki on IR, I like our odds.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? I'd take anything that does NOT mention the wildcat more seriously than anything that does. It was novel when Miami did it a couple of years ago. It's worn, gimmicky, and predictable now (how often does the Q actually throw out of the wildcat--10% of the time?). I'd greatly prefer direct snaps to the RB (with the Q in the shotgun or pistol), or anyone lining up in the RB spot (even if Smith) to some sort of "hey! we're all 2008 now!" wildcat gimmicks.

EDIT: The article has more obvious flaws, too. Cassel is more of a proven leader than Fitz? Just how? A tie on special teams? Praise of the Bills' DBs followed by dismissal of the same said group? And you focused on the lack of respect for the wildcat?

The wildcat, as has been mentioned by a myriad of posters here about 70,000 times, is only used to take advantage of match-ups in certain situations and to make the other team take time during the week to game plan against. Time that would otherwise be spent planning for the "regular" attack...

Yes the Wildcat is blah blah blah, but if you are doing a game preview, and the team you are playing uses the Wildcat and signed a player specifically to run it, how do you not mention it?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ha!!! thanks for the laugh

I love how he didn't even give one advantage to us.

I hope we destroy the Chiefs and shut up their clueless homers.

We will, without Kassell those guys are dead. Even with him I think we beat them but now we are just going stuff their run and get 7 sacks and bury these guys by the 4th quater.

The wildcat has always been overrated IMO. Except for when Miami sprung it on New England a few years back(I think it was Ronnie Brown running it), I can't remember the wildcat ever having a huge impact on a NFL game.

It's called Brad Smith(NYJ) vs. Buffalo Bills 2010

Only a Bills homer would predict a lopsided Bills victory against the Chiefs.

Both teams have relatively few changes, but one team was a playoff team and one team very much wasn't. On paper, it's easy to take the Chiefs.

I think we'll give them a game, and barring any stupidity on our part, will take the win.

Fixed that for you. It's very plausible, without being a homer, to suggest that the extensive changes Buffalo made on the defensive side of the ball are an improvement and KC's injuries on offense (lost Moeaki, Cassel questionable) work in Buffalo's favor. Oh, and there's that little something about the Bills only losing by 3 pts just last season to these guys at the same stadium.

I don't know how a reasonable person could look at Buffalo's D (Dareus, Barnett, healthy Merriman, healthy Davis, Wilson now starting at SS, improved depth at DL and LB) and use the phrase "relatively few changes."

Say, how would you like our odds against the Seahawks?

Past results don't guarantee future outcomes. On paper they're relatively equal, and if Cassel is iffy and with Tony Moeaki on IR, I like our odds.

I think we have a good chance.

But do you really expect the national media to think that? On the surface, the Bills look like the same team as usual, only a Bills fan would know what's going on here... until the Bills start winning.

Fixed that for you. It's very plausible, without being a homer, to suggest that the extensive changes Buffalo made on the defensive side of the ball are an improvement and KC's injuries on offense (lost Moeaki, Cassel questionable) work in Buffalo's favor. Oh, and there's that little something about the Bills only losing by 3 pts just last season to these guys at the same stadium.

I don't know how a reasonable person could look at Buffalo's D (Dareus, Barnett, healthy Merriman, healthy Davis, Wilson now starting at SS, improved depth at DL and LB) and use the phrase "relatively few changes."

The national media sees this:

Dareus - Change, but an unproven rookie - pro

Barnett - Same as Poz - wash

Merriman - Over the hill, likely injured - wash

Davis - Average player, didn't know he was injured, so on paper it looks like the same guy is here again - wash

Wilson - Not as good as Whitner - con

Now the Bills fans, obviously see something else... we see Dareus as a game changer, Barnett as better than Poz, Merriman as potentially his old self, Davis as solid when healthy, and Wilson as good as, if not better than Whitner.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

We are largely irrelevant because of our past, on paper to the lay man, we have done a whole lot of nothing because there are no "blockbuster" moves. Until we start winning games, the average person/national media will not be predicting loads of Bills wins.

If Cassell is hurt this would be a VERY winnable game. First game of the season its really anyone's guess. I have a feeling we can win it by establishing the run game first and foremost. I have a lot of good feeling about our defense.

Cassell being hurt (or not) has absolutely nothing to do with this being a "winnable" game. We're not talking about the Chefs losing Brady or Rodgers, for crying out loud.

The national media sees this:

Dareus - Change, but an unproven rookie - pro

Barnett - Same as Poz - wash

Merriman - Over the hill, likely injured - wash

Davis - Average player, didn't know he was injured, so on paper it looks like the same guy is here again - wash

Wilson - Not as good as Whitner - con

Now the Bills fans, obviously see something else... we see Dareus as a game changer, Barnett as better than Poz, Merriman as potentially his old self, Davis as solid when healthy, and Wilson as good as, if not better than Whitner.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

We are largely irrelevant because of our past, on paper to the lay man, we have done a whole lot of nothing because there are no "blockbuster" moves. Until we start winning games, the average person/national media will not be predicting loads of Bills wins.

Who cares what the "national media" thinks? Those who actually follow the Bills and don't rely upon ESPN reports know Dareus is an immediate upgrade, Merriman appears to be healthy, Barnett is an upgrade over Poz, Davis is healthy, and the D-line and LB depth is extremely solid. Those are significant changes to the team that arrived at Arrowhead Stadium a year ago.

I'm not sure if you guys noticed during the preseason, but there was one series where Buffalo ran a standard formation with Fitz at QB and Brad Smith as a WR. The very next play we ran was a Wildcat formation with the same personnel on the field with Smith at QB and Fitz out wide as a WR. Now that's pretty darn crafty if you ask me. If they run the no huddle with that grouping, it could be very effective.

Cassell being hurt (or not) has absolutely nothing to do with this being a "winnable" game. We're not talking about the Chefs losing Brady or Rodgers, for crying out loud.

Who cares what the "national media" thinks? Those who actually follow the Bills and don't rely upon ESPN reports know Dareus is an immediate upgrade, Merriman appears to be healthy, Barnett is an upgrade over Poz, Davis is healthy, and the D-line and LB depth is extremely solid. Those are significant changes to the team that arrived at Arrowhead Stadium a year ago.

This. The Bills barely lost to the Chefs last year in Arrowhead despite loads of transition (new coach, change from Trent to Fitz, unsettled and injured O-line, personnel unfit for the 3-4). The Bills have improved on both sides of the ball, whereas the Chefs losing Weis is a huge blow for their offense, and losing Moeaki and Cassel having a cracked rib basically make them more one-dimensional than they were last year (556 rush to 274 pass plays).

Edited by Doc

Glad we agree. :)

My point was, that we see something much different than what KC fans, or casual fans see, because we follow our team closely.

It's to be determined if we are realistically thinking or not. I hope we are.

Edited by Dorkington

It's called Brad Smith(NYJ) vs. Buffalo Bills 2010

Numerous teams over the last decade have been running the wildcat and the best example you have of the impact of the wildcat is a game where Smith threw one pass which was completed for a TD and ran the ball 3 more times for meaningless yardage? :doh: