[closed]Patriots Recent drafts

thurman34

The Patriots draft has never been that strong but the way they utilize players is what matters. They are not that great with the draft and save for about 3 or 4 free agents they would not be the same team. Their drafting of the two TE's was a big score, though.

When did Paoli leave? I believe Belichick became the de facto GM when he left.

PTR

08. He also worked with BB in Cleveland.

Pats drafted 26 players between 2006 and 2008...only 3 remain on active roster. Ouch (although it hasn't appeared to hurt them too much)

It's pretty evident that's why they are taking shots with big al, ocho, etc.... The playmakers from those years are missing from the roster.

All of this of course does not mean that the Pats* are not still a good team. But it should help us all to see just how uncertain the draft can be for all teams. And, alongside the story of the Colts and their fears of life without Peyton, it shows how hard it is for really good teams to stay on top as their superstar players age.

Of course, as Bills fans, we should know that already.

Don't overlook the fact that the Patsies have finished at the top, or near the top of the standings. That means a lot of lower slotting for the draft. That being said, I agree with RJ, the draft is an inexact science that breeds more misses than hits.

It also means there's less holes to fill so those guys had less of a chance

If you are only counting those on the Patriots roster, you are using the wrong analysis. The better analysis be how many of those players are still active in the NFL. When you have an established, successful team, rookies have a tough time getting on the field. They may have found NFL homes elsewhere.

Pats drafted 26 players between 2006 and 2008...only 3 remain on active roster. Ouch (although it hasn't appeared to hurt them too much)

I know -it is sick- but the free agent pickups usually seem to work out for them. I shouldn't be a recipe for success and they haven't won a super bowl 7-8 years but still make the playoffs.

just win Baby.

They get so many veterans at the tail end of their careers it makes up for all the busts. You would think with all the draft picks that they get every year they would have more guys but maybe they feel like they are throw away picks that if they pan out great but if not they can get the FAs they need to keep winning.