What Do You Need to See to Consider 2011 A Successful Season?

Maybe I'm just beat down by a decade of bad football but my criteria for a successful 2011 season doesn't include a playoff berth or even a winning season. What I'd like to see is the following:

- All-Pro (or at least Pro-Bowl) potential shown by Dareus;

- Byrd, Troup, Carrington, A. Williams and Sheppard show that they can be effective NFL starters;

- productive and injury-free seasons from Merriman and Barnett.

You add that to K. Williams, Florence and maybe McGee (I've given up on McKelvin - should have shipped him to the Giants for a draft choice) and you will have the nucleus of a young, dominant defense for years to come. That's enough for me. Anything from the offense (breakout years for Spiller and Easley, another great year from S. Johnson) is just gravy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New ownership.

Like most, I feel like it's hard to get excited with our recent history. We have very little chance to compete consistantly with our current owner. I really like Chan and Buddy so I feel like we can improve but it will be really tough with Ralph calling the shots.

I don't usually put a number on it but 8-8 would be wonderful.

Maybe I'm just beat down by a decade of bad football but my criteria for a successful 2011 season doesn't include a playoff berth or even a winning season. What I'd like to see is the following:

- All-Pro (or at least Pro-Bowl) potential shown by Dareus;

- Byrd, Troup, Carrington, A. Williams and Sheppard show that they can be effective NFL starters;

- productive and injury-free seasons from Merriman and Barnett.

You add that to K. Williams, Florence and maybe McGee (I've given up on McKelvin - should have shipped him to the Giants for a draft choice) and you will have the nucleus of a young, dominant defense for years to come. That's enough for me. Anything from the offense (breakout years for Spiller and Easley, another great year from S. Johnson) is just gravy.

Yes, everything thing you said is great and I hope it happens , but for me the only way to say this season is a success is to make the playoffs for the first time in the new millennium.

For me how the O-Line plays will be an important piece. Realistically the only player on the OL that I could winning or drawing individual battles throughout the season is Wood (and i'm not overly confident in that yet). I think Chan will be able to mask the deficiencies with 3 step drops and using backs and TE's to chip but long term this isn't a winning strategy. A championship teams needs an O-Line that can win battles at the Point of Attack. If 1 O-Lineman other than Wood (I'm thinking Bell, Levitre, or Hairston, but anyone would suffice) shows that they could be a capable piece going forward I would consider that progress.

A couple others:

•  
  • Players drafted or signed as FA by the current brain trust contribute/develop e.g. I'm looking at you Spiller, Troupe, Chandler (essentially I just want some validation that on the whole Nix/Gailey are getting it right more than they are getting it wrong when making personell decisions)
  • A few players emerge who could potentially be considered top 15 at their position. Right now we have 1 player there Kyle Williams. Will anyone join them this year e.g., at the end of the year can we legitimately say say so-and-so is our core and lets build around them.

Failing all that: we get the #1 overall pick