Insider: Nix hasn't addressed Bills greatest needs

Amstel

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "I keep hearing what a great job (Bills GM) Buddy Nix is doing. The offensive line sucks. He did not address the quarterback position. (C.J.) Spiller is still struggling two years running. How do you win with (Kraig) Urbik, (Erik) Pears and Demetrius Bell starting on your offensive line? And there is nothing behind them. They paid Nick Barnett a ton of money to play in a system that he is not good at. He is a 4-3 Mike 'backer who is on the downside of his career. Who are their outside 'backers? (Chris) Kelsay and (Shawne) Merriman are old and broken down. There's nothing behind them. I'm shocked Jammie Kirlew is on an NFL roster. Buddy has been around awhile — he must have the hype machine working overtime. Unless I'm missing something, that is a bad football team."

Have at it.....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one position i think the bills have depth at is outside LB so disagree with him there

I agree with what he says about the O-Line though, its a joke that nothing was and isnt being done about it

Buddy has done an OK job at best which is far from great. Wasnt much to work with when he took over so not completely his fault, you only get so many draft picks

Edited by Max997

I'm always curious who the scouts are, or if it's the same scout, on those articles. It always comes off as whoever is saying it has an ax to grind.

Kirlew is going to get cut, not sure that was a worthwhile dig.

Edited by Carey Bender

Obviously they have a hole at LT, but other than that, I think that post is pretty ignorant and he clearly has not been following the Bills closely. Sure, Urbik doesn't look great, but we have a backup in Rhinehart who I think has alot of promise. Pears has done nothing to show that he isn't capable of being an NFL RT -- he looks good from what I've seen. Fred Jackson is the starting running back, not Spiller. And I think Spiller will improve alot this year. Barnett looks like an animal thusfar, and was part of Green Bays 3-4 scheme. Kelsay sucks but Carrington looks like he'll be the inevitable replacement. Merriman will be a STUD if he can stay healthy.

Maybe this guy should watch some tape before he writes these articles.

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "I keep hearing what a great job (Bills GM) Buddy Nix is doing. The offensive line sucks. He did not address the quarterback position. (C.J.) Spiller is still struggling two years running. How do you win with (Kraig) Urbik, (Erik) Pears and Demetrius Bell starting on your offensive line? And there is nothing behind them. They paid Nick Barnett a ton of money to play in a system that he is not good at. He is a 4-3 Mike 'backer who is on the downside of his career. Who are their outside 'backers? (Chris) Kelsay and (Shawne) Merriman are old and broken down. There's nothing behind them. I'm shocked Jammie Kirlew is on an NFL roster. Buddy has been around awhile — he must have the hype machine working overtime. Unless I'm missing something, that is a bad football team."

Have at it.....

Short-sighted, uninformed, poorly researched, and horribly written.

Just looked it up, article was written by jets51

Well there you go.

Have at it.....

Wow...26 is old now? Just wow. And that Jammie Kirlew dig is absolutely absurd. Well, the Bills pretty much answered almost every question there in pre-season game number three (fitz 11/12, offensive line didn't let him get touched, stopped the run, spiller had some good runs) and hopefully that's a preview of what's to come. It's in vogue to bash the Bills; hopefully, they'll prove them wrong with their play in the regular season.

Is 4 nillion a ton to pay barnett? Didn't the packers run the 34 the last two years?

I'm not nixs #1 fan but this to me is an obviously bias opinion piece. As bender said kirlew is prob going to get cut. Merriman may or may not be broken down but he's def not old.

This team's biggest weakness for the past few years has NOT been OL, it's been DL.

That is why we have collectively pulled out our hair, and gnashed our teeth, every time we talked about drafting Whitner over Ngata.

Buddy went out and addressed and fixed our biggest problem, and made it into a strength. Barnett came from a 3-4 team, so not sure much more needs to be said there.

It wouldve been a better article if it was written as "What to address next", but to say Buddy has doen nothing is just incorrect.

No team in the NFL has *addressed* their offensive line.

Half the NFL has offensive lines that are marginal to barely adequate in quality. (See Ravens, Baltimore/Eagles, Philadelphia, Patriots, New England for starters)

Those teams have worse lines than the Bill with more at stake. Those teams will only go as far in the playoffs (which they expect to make) as their offensive lines keep the QB from being massacred.

one position i think the bills have depth at is outside LB so disagree with him there

WHAT!?!?!? Who is this "depth" that you are talking about? If you mean depth as in we have 7 players who play the position then you are right. But there is very little quality. Merriman comes with a huge IF. After that, Kelsay? Batten is a guy that everyone like because he's an underdog. If you actually watch him play, he's been very average. Carrington is a square peg round hole. No change of direction or closing speed. He is playing way out of position which is a 5 technique DE. Coleman....um, er....

The only impact we have at that position in Merriman and let's see where he is at around week 8.

This team's biggest weakness for the past few years has NOT been OL, it's been DL.

That is why we have collectively pulled out our hair, and gnashed our teeth, every time we talked about drafting Whitner over Ngata.

Buddy went out and addressed and fixed our biggest problem, and made it into a strength. Barnett came from a 3-4 team, so not sure much more needs to be said there.

It wouldve been a better article if it was written as "What to address next", but to say Buddy has doen nothing is just incorrect.

DrDareustein, you complete me.

Have at it.....

Almost sounds like Rex Ryan. Sadly I have to agree 100% :bag:

No team in the NFL has *addressed* their offensive line.

Half the NFL has offensive lines that are marginal to barely adequate in quality. (See Ravens, Baltimore/Eagles, Philadelphia, Patriots, New England for starters)

Those teams have worse lines than the Bill with more at stake. Those teams will only go as far in the playoffs (which they expect to make) as their offensive lines keep the QB from being massacred.

New England has an exceptional offensive line. They just struggled against the Lions. They make Brady look alot better than he is, imo (not saying Brady isn't good).

Have at it.....

Pretty much everything I hav been saying without a condition of anonymity.

WHAT!?!?!? Who is this "depth" that you are talking about? If you mean depth as in we have 7 players who play the position then you are right. But there is very little quality. Merriman comes with a huge IF. After that, Kelsay? Batten is a guy that everyone like because he's an underdog. If you actually watch him play, he's been very average. Carrington is a square peg round hole. No change of direction or closing speed. He is playing way out of position which is a 5 technique DE. Coleman....um, er....

The only impact we have at that position in Merriman and let's see where he is at around week 8.

Both Kelsay and Merriman (our starting OLBs) were out for Saturday's game, and Carrington/Batten filled in nicely. I have no problem with those guys starting if Merriman gets injured, and we finally realize Kelsay sucks. Behind them we have Moats who played well last year, given he was a late round rookie. We do have depth at OLB.

DrDareustein, you complete me.

:thumbsup:

Pretty much everything I hav been saying without a condition of anonymity.

might want to leave it to the anons to continue to look foolish and uninformed then. just sayin...

The 'article' begins, "I keep hearing what a great job (Bills GM) Buddy Nix is doing."

So obviously there are dissenting opinions out there. Count me amongst them. Although I'm also dismayed at the OL, it seems so far this preseason that Nix has done a good job rebuilding what had been a pathetically undersized, undertalented defense.