OT

I hate to nitpick a thrilling win (which I thoroughly enjoyed watching) by questioning the coaching, but something bothered me last night and it still is now. Should Gailey have put Levi Brown out there for the OT possession? Surely it worked out for the team, but what use was the experience for the Bills QB future?

It's hard to see Brown making the final roster. The QBs seem to be set with Fitz, Thigpen and Smith. I think giving Thigpen the chance to drive the team in OT would have been invaluable experience for a guy that will be on your team (making a good buck) for the next few years. Levi will take that experience to BK where, presumably, he will be a better fry cook as a result, but how did it help the Bills' QBs of the regular season?

I hate to nitpick a thrilling win (which I thoroughly enjoyed watching) by questioning the coaching, but something bothered me last night and it still is now. Should Gailey have put Levi Brown out there for the OT possession? Surely it worked out for the team, but what use was the experience for the Bills QB future?

It's hard to see Brown making the final roster. The QBs seem to be set with Fitz, Thigpen and Smith. I think giving Thigpen the chance to drive the team in OT would have been invaluable experience for a guy that will be on your team (making a good buck) for the next few years. Levi will take that experience to BK where, presumably, he will be a better fry cook as a result, but how did it help the Bills' QBs of the regular season?

I thought that was a little odd too...and Levi almost tossed the ball right to the Jags, on a really awful first pass. No big deal, it all worked out, but, if you believe the hype about teams wanting to win every game, no matter how insignificant, it was strange.

Chan knows what Thigpen's capable of. Levi Brown - not so much. He's giving the kid every chance to make the team. The odds are REALLY stacked against him - much more than last year, and you'll remember they cut him before the opener .

I saw it as an interview for the practice squad instead of keeping Nesbitt. Well see what happens. If they kept Thigpen in there instead it really wouldn't have made a difference at all either. Chan knows who his starter is and backups at the QB position. He was clearly seeing if Levi had any fire in him fighting for a job.

Levi will very likely be put on the Practice Squad, and if he isn't, some other #3 QB will be as a developmental project. Gailey probably wanted to see him in action to see if he progressed at all, and to determine if he should be that guy.

I agree. But it did seem to me that he did make progress from last year based upon his OT play. Good for him. :)

Maybe they aren't actually enamored with smith as a QB in an official sense. Though he might be listed there on gameday, maybe between the roster and ps they want 3 real qbs plus smith

Maybe they aren't actually enamored with smith as a QB in an official sense. Though he might be listed there on gameday, maybe between the roster and ps they want 3 real qbs plus smith

I was kinda thinking this. I don't think they are as comfortable with Smith throwing the ball as they thought they would be when they picked him up.

I was kinda thinking this. I don't think they are as comfortable with Smith throwing the ball as they thought they would be when they picked him up.

I can't say I ever bought that if fitz got hurt that smith would be the primary backup for more than the game it happened in. That means you still need another arm somewhere. If fitz gets killed next week does anyone think we go into KC with just thigpen and smith?

I read that both Fitz and Gailey were surprised at his arm and accuracy in camp. Gailey has put him in regular QB formations instead of just the Wildcat kind of plays. I doubt that Gailey views him as a possible full time QB, but there is no indication whatsoever that they are not as comfortable as they thought they would be, just the opposite in fact.

This is not the only place I saw it, but it's one link.

It looked to me like the Bills might be preparing to use Brad Smith more than the Jets did, if that's possible. Early on, the Bills have been highly impressed with the strength and accuracy of Smith's arm. "I don't know if he'll touch the ball four times in a game or 14," Chan Gailey told me. "All I know is he's going to get it a bunch."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/1.html

Am I the only one that thinks Thigpen is somewhat overrated? I know he has experince in games that count and he's new with this team, but he doesn't seem to be the reliable guy some people think he is.

Would it be such a monumental mistake to keep Brown instead of him? We're screwed either way if Fitz goes down (as many teams in the league)

Am I the only one that thinks Thigpen is somewhat overrated? I know he has experince in games that count and he's new with this team, but he doesn't seem to be the reliable guy some people think he is.

Would it be such a monumental mistake to keep Brown instead of him? We're screwed either way if Fitz goes down (as many teams in the league)

That would be admitting a mistake way too soon. In football, it just doesn't work like that (don't bring up Cornell Green, different circumstances). Gailey believes in Thigpen enough to keep him. Levi isn't much worse but the bottom line is, this coach and GM targeted Thigpen at the start of free agency and they won't be cutting him before the season stats.

I like Levi over Thigpen. IMHO

I might have agreed with you a week ago, but Thigpen looked pretty good last night, from what I saw. He did have a couple of picks, but he made some really nice throws that I haven't seen Levi being capable, at this point. No way will Levi, or Smith pass him on the depth chart...it is great, IMO, to have a back-up QB who already has a significant number of starts under their belt. I am one of those of the opinion, unless Fitz not only matches his performance from last seaseon, but surpasses it, Thigpen will be our starter in the future. And I like Fitz, a lot.

I might have agreed with you a week ago, but Thigpen looked pretty good last night, from what I saw. He did have a couple of picks, but he made some really nice throws that I haven't seen Levi being capable, at this point. No way will Levi, or Smith pass him on the depth chart...it is great, IMO, to have a back-up QB who already has a significant number of starts under their belt. I am one of those of the opinion, unless Fitz not only matches his performance from last seaseon, but surpasses it, Thigpen will be our starter in the future. And I like Fitz, a lot.

I thought Thigpen was absolutely horrible last night, even when he got the team moving. He did throw a couple nice passes, out of 28. And did have a nice 35 QB rating. There was one play when he rolled out, no one near him and threw a 5 yard pass to a wide open TE and overthrew it by about 3 yards. It was atrocious.

That would be admitting a mistake way too soon. In football, it just doesn't work like that (don't bring up Cornell Green, different circumstances). Gailey believes in Thigpen enough to keep him. Levi isn't much worse but the bottom line is, this coach and GM targeted Thigpen at the start of free agency and they won't be cutting him before the season stats.

No matter how familiar Gailey is with Thigpen, I wouldn't consider releasing him a monumental mistake, he's really struggling and as of now, Brown represents the guy with the better chance to develop into a solid back-up.